Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to figure out how much psi my power steering pump puts out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to figure out how much psi my power steering pump puts out

05 5.3 swap into my 88 mustang. Used high pressure power steering line and it blew on my first drive.

I have new line it's rated for 300 psi but how much is my pump putting out?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PS pumps generate anywhere from 1200 to1600 psi depending on year and model from which it came from.

The was a thread that someone posted that listed the pressure. Try a search for power steering pump pressure.

BC
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here it is:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...truck-etc.html

BTW, 300 psi isn't even close to what you need. I think mine has a working pressure of close to 2,000 lbs... not sure what the burst pressure is. Consider modifying the mustang line to fit the truck pump, or modifying the truck line to fit the mustang rack. That will be a good starting point.

Also, I think the Mustang racks are rated at a much lower flow rate than the GM truck pumps. The GM truck pump GPM is pretty high. You might need some sort of restrictor to bring the flow rate down. An off-road/4x4 place might be able to help you with that, as that stuff often requires custom steering work, etc.

Last edited by FastKat; 08-12-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

300psi is fine for the return line. The high pressure line needs to be a hose rated for 2000psi. The rating on hoses is a 3 to 1 ratio. So, 300 has a burst of 900...... The GM pump has to much flow, you need to change the output you need these.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustan...-GPM,5852.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-...-GM,37128.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/O-Ring...ter,24682.html

They even have hoses, if not go to a hydraulic hose supplier they can make a hose.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Borgeson has a kit that will allow you to shim the relief to bring the psi down for use with the Moosetang rack........
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I'm going to ace hydrolic here in town they can make a custom line for about 40 bus, what kind of restrictor do I need or can anyone tell me the psi range I need for the mustang rack so I can tell them to restrict it from 1500 psi to xxx psi?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

I could be wrong here, but I don't think it's the pressure that needs adjusted for the Mustang rack - I think it's the volume. Volume is how much oil is flowing. Pressure is how hard the fluid is pushing.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FastKat
I could be wrong here, but I don't think it's the pressure that needs adjusted for the Mustang rack - I think it's the volume. Volume is how much oil is flowing. Pressure is how hard the fluid is pushing.

Well I'm trying to figure out to regulate pressure/flow from the pump to the rack so I know what to tell the company whose going to make the line.

Do I tell them to just run a smaller line? Like smaller than 3/8's line and would that reduce flow?.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy the valve, it's $20. You might reduce flow by manipulating line sizes, but do you really want to risk another failure?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Launching!

The only failure was the line splitting, that valve in the link says early gm power steering pumps. Will it work on the style pump I have? My pump is off an 05 5.3
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, you're way better off buying a pre-made restritcotor for $20 than trying to have a hydraulic shop make one. You don't have to reinvent the wheel here - which is a good thing.

BTW, a restrictor typically limits flow. It will keep the steering wheel and rack from feeling jumpy. I don't think a restrictor does much to limit pressure.

If you want to limit pressure, you'll have to make changes to the pressure relief valve that is inside the pump. Keep in mind that during ordinary use, the max pressure is not reached. Pump output pressure only increases as you add resistance to the tires.

So for instance - let's say your front wheels/tires get pinned up against a curb while you're parallel parking. You turn your steering wheel, and all it's doing is driving the side of the tire into the curb - the front wheels won't move. At that point, your pump is working at its max pressure to try to turn the wheels, but the wheels won't turn because the tire is pinned up against the wheel. Here, the pressure relief valve in the pump opens and limits your max line pressure.

Another scenario - let's say you're driving down the road. If you've ever driven a car with NO power steering, you know that it is very easy to turn the steering wheel on a moving car. Here, the pump is not working hard at all, because it's already easy to turn the wheels on the moving car. Very little pressure is needed, so the pump produces very little pressure.

Regarding the above-linked parts - just call Speedway and ask them. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by bakomack
Well I'm trying to figure out to regulate pressure/flow from the pump to the rack so I know what to tell the company whose going to make the line.

Do I tell them to just run a smaller line? Like smaller than 3/8's line and would that reduce flow?.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

U mite even find the answer[s], here......
https://www.google.com/search?q=Must...ient=firefox-a
Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Launching!

I will be the valve but my question is now will the valve in the link above work on the pump I'm using? From an 05 Tahoe?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I will be the valve but my question is now will the valve in the link above work on the pump I'm using? From an 05 Tahoe?
This is the valve I used in my '03 C5 pump.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Call Speedway. They should know for sure since they're the ones selling the valve.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

You have to balance both Flow and Pressure.......and the restrictors and valves are just Band-Aids to the problem.......Just say'in......
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by S10xGN
This is the valve I used in my '03 C5 pump.
Correction, my bad! I found a pic of the valve I used and it's a Billet Specialties. I remember ordering the DSE valve and they sent me the wrong part.
Attached Thumbnails Need to figure out how much psi my power steering pump puts out-100_0980s.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had experience using the LS pump, mine is from a 2000 Trans-Am, with the steering box from a Gen II Nova (68-74) or Gen I Camaro (67-69)? That's what I have and here is what is happening. It seems to work great, but if you take you hands off the wheel, the car eventually wants to steer right. I have been working with my alignment shop and they were adjusting the Caster to try to keep this from happening and no matter how much extra Caster they put on the right side, it still went right. So while doing a test drive, the alignment guy put it in neutral and turned the motor off. The car went left. As soon as he turned the motor back on, it went back to pulling right. So I wonder if the pump is over powering the box valves. The alignment guys think it is the valves in the box. Any thoughts?

Pat
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Has anyone had experience using the LS pump, mine is from a 2000 Trans-Am, with the steering box from a Gen II Nova (68-74) or Gen I Camaro (67-69)? That's what I have and here is what is happening. It seems to work great, but if you take you hands off the wheel, the car eventually wants to steer right. I have been working with my alignment shop and they were adjusting the Caster to try to keep this from happening and no matter how much extra Caster they put on the right side, it still went right. So while doing a test drive, the alignment guy put it in neutral and turned the motor off. The car went left. As soon as he turned the motor back on, it went back to pulling right. So I wonder if the pump is over powering the box valves. The alignment guys think it is the valves in the box. Any thoughts?

Pat
I'm no expert, but it sounds like some cross-leakage going on...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

I used that same F-body pump on my Jaguar swap. While I did not experience the car steering to one side, I did notice that the wheel was overly sensitive while driving. That pump has a pretty high flow rate compared to some of the other LS car pumps.

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Has anyone had experience using the LS pump, mine is from a 2000 Trans-Am, with the steering box from a Gen II Nova (68-74) or Gen I Camaro (67-69)? That's what I have and here is what is happening. It seems to work great, but if you take you hands off the wheel, the car eventually wants to steer right.

Quick Reply: Need to figure out how much psi my power steering pump puts out