Sponsored by:

2002/1982 Chevy c10

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2002/1982 Chevy c10

Hey guys I figured I'd share my
Latest project. It's a 1982 c10 body that i am putting on a 2002 4x4 frame.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Front bed mount had to be lowered and turned back a little bit to line up with the cross rail

Same on the other side. Also had to notch the cross rail for gas tank clearance

Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Core support sits right on top of stock mounts so that was easy. Just had to drill a new hole.

Middle cab mounts sit right on top of the frame and almost line up with an existing hole. I opened up the hole a little and used. 10" bolt and ran it all the way thru the frame into the cab mount
Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Measured everything up to shorten the frame since it was an extended cab. Only cOuld cut 26" from the torsion bar crosember to the next crossmember.

Lined everything backup and tacked the frame back together. I think it ended up lining up pretty good

This is how it sits now. The 5.3 is staying all stock for now. My buddy that tuned my blazer is doing this one too. I am waiting on my cpw universal fusebox to power up the engine. I am using all the stock parts from under the hood of the 2002 so hopefully it will look stock when you open the hood
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What a great way to lift the cab. I've never seen that before. Nice work.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 09-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! that swaped over pretty easy....well you made it look easy...
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Nice work !!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Yeah the mounts were a lot easier than I thought they would be. I still have to make the rear cab mount but the stock ones line up with the cab. They're just about 6" short of the cab. I'll probably just use a piece of pipe and bushing instead of rebuilding the mounts. It's pretty solid the way it is now anyways.
Yeah the cherry picker is a lifesaver. It's easier than gettin a few buddies and tryin to not drop it. Hopefully I'll get to work on it the next few days and get the fuel lines, brake line shortened, cab mount and get the exhaust hooked back up. Also have to finish welding and plating the frame. Ran out of gas for welder
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

I hope your frame survives & I know it is too late now but.....

Shoulda made a step cut plus the inner c-shape bracing. 2 vertical cuts top & bottom (4 total) plus the 1 lengthwise wise. All for each frame side. So 10 cuts total for the entire thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Teching In

I didn't have any room to cut it that way anyways. I had to cut right at the torsion bar bracket and right in front of that tube crossmember so a strait cut was the easiest. I'm not too worried about it. I did it the same way I did on my 86 when I cut it down to a shortbed and it has a twin turbo cummins and I tow with it and its held up fine for the past few years so I'm sure it will be fine.

I did get finished welding and plating it today

Here's a pic of my 86 c20. It is strong enough that the torque has twisted the frame enough it's starting to wrinkle the bed side. I'm gonna buildup the frame the brown 82 came off of and switch my 86 and cummins over to it eventually
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Teching In

That frame will be fine.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Damn...wish I could weld like that. LOL
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Mig is easy man. Just get you a welder and start practicing. I've never taken a class or anything and that is done with a cheapo off brand welder. The plating on my 86 was even done with a 110v welder.

Anyways my cpw fusebox showed up today so I really need to get started under the hood with all that stuff. I'm off the next few days so hopefully I'll have some progress to post up
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Got some more things checked off the to do list tonight. I spent some time jacking with the engine mounts cause it looked like the engine was turned off towards the passenger side and not centered in the frame. Couldn't figure it out. Finally went out and looked at my dads me truck and it was the same way. Oh well it's not that far off. I got the throttle cable hooked up. Stock 5.3 cable worked fine. Just had to bend the pedal a little to get wot. Mounted up the stock air box and expansion tank. Also got the PCM mounted in stock location. I even put the horns off the 02 on it.

CPW universal fuse box I'm gonna use. Awesome product. Looks like its going to be a breeze to wire up. Biggest part is probably going to be the 4x4 switches and module.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Threw on some new plugs and wires. Changed the exhaust manifold to a non egr one and got the egr plug in the intake welded shut.

Got the exhaust shortened and welded up
Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calebmcclellan
I didn't have any room to cut it that way anyways. I had to cut right at the torsion bar bracket and right in front of that tube crossmember so a strait cut was the easiest. I'm not too worried about it. I did it the same way I did on my 86 when I cut it down to a shortbed and it has a twin turbo cummins and I tow with it and its held up fine for the past few years so I'm sure it will be fine.

I did get finished welding and plating it today

Here's a pic of my 86 c20. It is strong enough that the torque has twisted the frame enough it's starting to wrinkle the bed side. I'm gonna buildup the frame the brown 82 came off of and switch my 86 and cummins over to it eventually
Diamonds are forever...LOL
Old 09-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Haha I hope so
Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Launching!

This has got to be the coolest projects ive seen in a long time. Surprisingly, it looks like the body was made for the `02 frame. Excellent work!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks man. Yeah I was worried about the frame being so much wider but it worked out really good.

Anyways tonight i got the power steering lines and cooler put on. It took a little re bending but they fit pretty nice. Also got the steering shaft made and installed. It is the lower half of the 02 shaft welded to another shaft I had layin around. Dodge ram or jeep I think. Either way it worked out

I think I'm going to have to trim the back side of the grille to clear that trans cooler and ps cooler

My to do list is getting checked off slowly.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Tonight i got the condenser and radiator mounted up and made a new liquid line and changed the fittings around on the 2002 dryer so that I could use it. Not much fab work to do under the hood. I'll probably start on the wiring pretty soon

Got the remote start / keyless entry in today. I'm alteady having nightmares about wires lol

Quick Reply: 2002/1982 Chevy c10