Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Red/Blue wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Red/Blue wiring harness

So I am very close to finally getting this LS1 swap done in my 67 Tempest. I was modifying the harness that I got from the junkyard, but noticed a connector that I had not seen online. After a few searches and checking the pins I think it is a drive by wire connector, which is weird since I have the red/blue connectors to match up with a computer I also go from the junkyard (already tuned by Texas Speed).

When I trace the wires back to the connector it attaches to Blue connector pin 14 and 15. According to LT1swap.com these are for drive by wire.

My motor is drive by cable, which is why i got the red/blue harness and computer. Do i just pull these pins, and then modify it for cable driven??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails Help with Red/Blue wiring harness-photo-1.jpg   Help with Red/Blue wiring harness-photo-2.jpg   Help with Red/Blue wiring harness-photo-3.jpg   Help with Red/Blue wiring harness-photo-4.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you have is the early drive by wire harness. That harness most likely came off of an escalade or some other premium truck or suv. That is a drive by wire harness.

You just remove the data wiring from the blue connector and add in the tps and iac wiring. If you want the connectors with the color coded wiring with the pcm terminals on them pm me. I can send you the assembled pieces that you will need.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Not to hijack the thread, but i am going to use the drive by wire throttle body... What all is connected to the plug in his first picture? I have been searching for 2 hours...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Noremac
There are a bunch of wires connected to it. I'm heading out of town for 2 days. Replying on my iPhone actually. I can get you all that info on Sunday. Sorry
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noremac
Not to hijack the thread, but i am going to use the drive by wire throttle body... What all is connected to the plug in his first picture? I have been searching for 2 hours...
There are 16 wire attached to that connector. 8 of them go to the throttle body, 4 of them are for cruise, 2 of them are data communication, and two are ground and power.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

As far as I know red and blue connectors are for both drive by wire and drive by cable generation III engines. You will either have to get the drive by cable harness and pcm or repin your existing harness and tune your pcm for drive by cable. Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Teching In

This looks close to my situation so bumping an old thread. Still researching, but maybe someone has done it already.

https://lt1swap.com/dbw.htm and https://lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm may have the answers but I'm struggling to digest.

in short - I have the same early DBW 6+2 MAF & pedal that the OP had. I would like to keep DBW if I can. OEM harness is gone, so plan is to buy aftermarket harness. 2002 LQ9, DBW, red/blue 411 PCM, manual trans.

Is there a dumbed down summary of the difference between the early DBW and DBC harness? In other words, if I buy a DBC ebay style harness what I need to add or modify to convert it to early DBW setup? It seems like it's only a couple of wires different but I'm not finding the idiots guide to doing so. Struggling to find it laid out clear for my amateur brain.

Do not want to mess with using green/blue on my red/blue harness, I compared those pinouts and it's different enough I don't want that headache. Seems adding DBW provision to a DBC red/blue should be fairly straightforward since it's just tying in the separate module

Last edited by budget76; 02-08-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by budget76
This looks close to my situation so bumping an old thread. Still researching, but maybe someone has done it already.

https://lt1swap.com/dbw.htm and https://lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm may have the answers but I'm struggling to digest.

in short - I have the same early DBW 6+2 MAF & pedal that the OP had. I would like to keep DBW if I can. OEM harness is gone, so plan is to buy aftermarket harness. 2002 LQ9, DBW, red/blue 411 PCM, manual trans.

Is there a dumbed down summary of the difference between the early DBW and DBC harness? In other words, if I buy a DBC ebay style harness what I need to add or modify to convert it to early DBW setup? It seems like it's only a couple of wires different but I'm not finding the idiots guide to doing so. Struggling to find it laid out clear for my amateur brain.

Do not want to mess with using green/blue on my red/blue harness, I compared those pinouts and it's different enough I don't want that headache. Seems adding DBW provision to a DBC red/blue should be fairly straightforward since it's just tying in the separate module

You will need the matching TAC module for your pedal and for wiring you will remove the tps and iac and add the TAC connector which includes wires to throttle body, data wires to pcm and power/ground. The other wires in that connector are cruise control if you want that.

the red/blue dbw stuff isnt as easy or cheap to find. I ended up switching to p59 pcm just so if I have a component fail I can get a new one quick and cheap

Quick Reply: Help with Red/Blue wiring harness