Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox body turbo set up. Ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox body turbo set up. Ideas...

So I just got a 1990 fox body coupe with plans of doing a LSX T-56 swap. Pretty much what ever size engine (4.8-6.0) I find first for a good price I'm going to buy. Iron block for the 68-70mm single turbo, port and polished heads, LS9 head gaskets, stock exhaust manifolds, McLeod hydraulic clutch conversion, florida50 gauge cluster, Intercooled, LS2 timing chain, LS6 intake, cam and valve springs. Manual steering rack and no AC. Going to tear down to re gap the top rings. Go big or go home! Shooting for 500-600WHP.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of K-member and standalone I'm going to go with though.

Looking at either racecraft or Afco K-member. Want to keep the MM springs that are already on the car. Heard alot about AJE and Team Z but I'm not looking for a straight drag car just maybe test and tune days for fun. Going to driving it alot around town shows etc.

For the standalone I was looking at Holley Dominator set-up or calling up PSI to see what they can do for me.

Should be a good project for me and my dad when I get home from overseas.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Fox body turbo set up. Ideas...-img-20121129-00504.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Aje kmembers and my car is a street car. I would go with a psi harness I didn't and I regret it. I modified a on3 performance turbo kit to fit my 6.0. So far so good. Just minor fitment issues. Flipped truck manifolds are popular. I have a set with vbands welded on but went with the on3 kit since I didn't have to build a merger.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks I went to the website and they had a kit for the fox LS. Is your last thread pictures of the kit? I was thinking about pony down turbo kits and modifying what needs to be OR CX Racing??? With the Aje did you go with their a-arms and coilover set up? what fuel pump/set up are you using? I'm just trying to get everything I need so the car isn't down for long. I haven't even seen the car besides pictures. Jan 18th can't come fast enough!

Last edited by Adam253; 12-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Launching!

im running a UPR Chromoly Foxbody/4.6 K member with UPR LSX adapter plates and 4.6 motor mounts..UPR offers spring perches to run stock style springs or aftermarket coil overs

i would use a set of flipped truck manifolds and fab up your own hot side if you can weld..WAY cheaper..im tig welding my entire hot side myself

for pumps i am running a Walbro 255 in tank and another inline 255.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My kit is for a ford. The lx fox kit is a misprint. I called and asked a few months ago if they would make one and if enough interest is shown they will. I have upr a arms and coil overs. I'm running an a1000 with -10 feed and -8 return
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks sleeper thats what I was going to do with the manifolds. I called racecraft and the only think i didn't like was the fact that you have to use their steering rack. But the pan, header clearance and you can adjustable by 1" might make up for it.

I think my vision is turning a bit. I might go with a Super Vic Jr manifold with a procharger. Been doing a lot of research and I found a lot of good stuff on that set up. Aeromotiveinc has a real nice fuel system for 700hp. This is getting to be alittle over my budget but hey I've been overseas for 3 years so what the heck right?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Launching!

thats why i went with the UPR k member....the other swap k members always have a "catch"..... have a CTSV oil pan for my setup and i can verify that it clears even with power steering on the UPR k member...I myself will be running a manual rack though

Originally Posted by Adam253
Thanks sleeper thats what I was going to do with the manifolds. I called racecraft and the only think i didn't like was the fact that you have to use their steering rack. But the pan, header clearance and you can adjustable by 1" might make up for it.

I think my vision is turning a bit. I might go with a Super Vic Jr manifold with a procharger. Been doing a lot of research and I found a lot of good stuff on that set up. Aeromotiveinc has a real nice fuel system for 700hp. This is getting to be alittle over my budget but hey I've been overseas for 3 years so what the heck right?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

I will have to take a look at the UPR stuff again. My car is going to be mostly a street car so I'm looking for a little more heavy duty member like the autocross member. I think I have decided on my standalone as well. Holley Dominator.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Starting my swap need advise for the k member. Not just a racer. Please help!?!?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

1bad03snake and myself are using the same AJE K-member. both are street cars. I have a SBC in mine and he has a turbo LSX in his. The fitment is awesome. as far as street ability i have 03 Cobra SVT control arms with Eibach ProLine springs. It works great.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd guess most Fox swaps on here have the AJE K. It is fine for the street, fits good & the price is right.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks V8sten, are you running manual or a power rack?

Has anyone used afco or racecraft stuff?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using a manual rack with a flaming river shaft I don't need the extra Clearence with the turbo set up but since I already had it.... I have a 2002 v6 booster with 95gt master and rear disk
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Got a complete motor for 400. Also scored a LS6 cam, pushrods, valve springs, locks, and brand new valve seals for 250.

Starting tear down this week
Attached Thumbnails Fox body turbo set up. Ideas...-image.jpg  

Last edited by Adam253; 01-28-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good. You should look into Denmah's articles on standalone fuel management setups. Holley kit and conversion harnesses with pcm flashing and dyno time are fairly expensive.

He is very resourceful and helpful regarding any questions you may have..

The first setup he did was using megasquirt for fuel only and an MSD 6010 box to control ignition. He even has a few base tunes to get the car cranked easily and dialing in the tune wouldn't be hard at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...d6010-lsx.html

Or another option (which is what i'm going with with) is Micro squirt.. with a few electrical mods it can handle a V8 and control ignition and fuel. Again, he has a few base map tunes to get you on the road.

Either option with a wideband will run you about 700-800$ but a far cry from what other alternatives are.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superbean
sounds good. You should look into Denmah's articles on standalone fuel management setups. Holley kit and conversion harnesses with pcm flashing and dyno time are fairly expensive.
The Holley kit uses its own computer, so what PCM flashing are you referring to? Includes a start up tune as well as a self-learn feature. VERY nice system, that several guys on here are using with great results. VERY user friendly software as well. It seems a little pricey it first, but if you factor in PCM flashing and dyne time that other systems require, it really is pretty reasonable.

Last edited by TxFireman1972; 01-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

From my findings the holley also does well with forced induction. Going to the turbo shop today to see what they think.

Still trying to figure out what k member to get though.

Been on the phone getting quotes all morning
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unstang
I'd guess most Fox swaps on here have the AJE K. It is fine for the street, fits good & the price is right.
its a pretty common k-member, i like that i do not have to ever change it if i were to put a different kind of motor in it later on down the road. on a side note where in the hell do you find all of those awesome rides. im subscribed to your youtube channel.

Originally Posted by Adam253
Thanks V8sten, are you running manual or a power rack?

Has anyone used afco or racecraft stuff?
I am running the factory power rack and rag joint shaft. you have to extend the steering column about 1" it very easy to do with the motor out. You can see all of this on my build thread;

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...k-warning.html
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got my Holley Dominator setup in.

If ur considering it U should down load the software off their web site and play with it.

REALLY easy to navigate and understand, I cant wait to get everything hooked up and start messing with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
The Holley kit uses its own computer, so what PCM flashing are you referring to? Includes a start up tune as well as a self-learn feature. VERY nice system, that several guys on here are using with great results. VERY user friendly software as well. It seems a little pricey it first, but if you factor in PCM flashing and dyne time that other systems require, it really is pretty reasonable.
Let me clarify. Holley system OR factory harness converted/standalone harness ($$), pcm flashing ($$), and dyno time ($$).

I've had a total of six mail order tunes done for my cars and friends cars. Every one of them ran fantastic and made within 10hp of the tuned cars did.

However, it is easy to alter some VE tables on a cam only car, but not so easy to do a mail tune with a turbo car with DIY pieces.

Quick Reply: Fox body turbo set up. Ideas...