Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Internal Fuel Pump Option???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Internal Fuel Pump Option???

http://aeromotiveinc.com/2012/11/phantom-fuel-system/

Has anyone used this setup yet? I'm thinking this may be a great option for me as I have a new reproduction tank currently in the car and I'm having a hard time spending $$$$ on a SS tank with internal pump.

My only concern is that it looks like the return is straight back into the bucket...wouldn't the fuel get hot being continually recirculated like that?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Factory applications return the fuel to the bucket and they work fine. You actually want the fuel to return to the bucket so you do't have starvation issues when the tank is low, looks like a nice set up to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your feed back. I think I just need to give them a call and ask about fuel pump options...I'm looking for 6-700rwhp.

Anyone else used this or have an opinion???
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool idea. Any idea on pricing?

Jon
Psi

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Cool idea. Any idea on pricing?

Jon
Psi
$550

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18688
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Going to need a good hump in the trunk floor to clear the outlets on that thing, I would think ?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Ran across that set up the other day and thought what a great idea. Looks super easy to install and that foam bucket seems like one of the best solutions out there. They have an installation video too.

The height of that thing is adjustable to something like 6 to 15 inches. To get clearance at the top of the tank you can weld in a recess. There are places that sell them premade.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd370.htm

Only issue with that kit is the price. I thought the tanks inc insert was pricey,

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat61.htm

But $550 for the aeromotive set up is steep. At least it has a good pump
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So how would that foam cylinder surrounding the pump actually work ? Presuming its purpose is to retain fuel inside to simulate baffling. One would think if it was dense enough to delay fuel draining away, it would also be just as dense (delayed) with fuel running in to refill it?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I *think* it is the same foam they use in fuel cells. Although in the pics the foam bucket seems to have some type of black coating on the lower half.

All of these fuel sump things just slow down the movement of fuel. If you are doing NASCAR turns while running on fumes then a dual pump and surge tank is the ultimate solution.

Someone needs to buy that and tell us how it works.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aero stealth system

OP...I installed one of the first 340's in my 4.6 Vortech '93 TBird. This in order to eliminate fuel heating and cavitation problems from the external pumps we had tried.

My installation did not include the kit now offered, but was very straightforward and has worked perfectly (car is just under 600 at the rear wheels).

Aeromotive is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for and their customer service is second to none (ask for Brett).

You'll never regret this install....good luck
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Gjestico

The idea of the foam is that it fills up like a sponge and under cornering, etc, the fluid will weep out slower than if no sponge was there surrounding the pump. I agree with popn on the surge tank idea but this seems like a simple solution. Would be interested to know if that quantity of foam is large enough to hold enough fuel to prevent surging. I would think some foam is better than no foam.

Jon
PSI
Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Ran across that set up the other day and thought what a great idea. Looks super easy to install and that foam bucket seems like one of the best solutions out there. They have an installation video too.

The height of that thing is adjustable to something like 6 to 15 inches. To get clearance at the top of the tank you can weld in a recess. There are places that sell them premade.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd370.htm

Only issue with that kit is the price. I thought the tanks inc insert was pricey,

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat61.htm

But $550 for the aeromotive set up is steep. At least it has a good pump

That tanksinc setup was actually the other that I was looking at...I guess I'm trying to find out which would work better for casual autocross use.

Also how much HP/Tq would the tanksinc 400L pump handle? Has anyone used it with success? I wouldn't mind saving the extra $150.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gjestico
So how would that foam cylinder surrounding the pump actually work ? Presuming its purpose is to retain fuel inside to simulate baffling. One would think if it was dense enough to delay fuel draining away, it would also be just as dense (delayed) with fuel running in to refill it?

That is one of my concerns. I can only imagine that it is the return into the foam cylinder that prevents the starvation.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Gjestico

The idea of the foam is that it fills up like a sponge and under cornering, etc, the fluid will weep out slower than if no sponge was there surrounding the pump. I agree with popn on the surge tank idea but this seems like a simple solution. Would be interested to know if that quantity of foam is large enough to hold enough fuel to prevent surging. I would think some foam is better than no foam.

Jon
PSI

Thanks for your opinion. Maybe just put foam in a similar fashion around the cheaper tanksinc setup and save $150??
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Good point. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to skin this cat.

Jon
PSI
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I have seen posts where guys cut the top off their stock tank to add a fuel cell access plate, then put in an ATL black box with trap doors and surrounded the whole mess with fuel cell foam. The pics in the link may not show up if your not a member. He spent an insane amount of money doing this, but he should have pretty bullet proof fuel delivery.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/5810...as-tank/page-2

If you don't mind cutting a sizable access hole you could probably form your own bucket from a block of fuel cell foam then install a GM fuel pump insert yourself.

Quite a few places sell access plates as well as foam.

http://atlinc.com/pdfs/Design-Helper...Ring-Guide.pdf

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 02-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: New Internal Fuel Pump Option???