Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 nova stock front end ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 nova stock front end ls1

So here is my official build thread of my 66. A little about the car, its a 66 hard top with a sbc 350 and a th350 now. its a stock front end other than a mini subframe kit (awesome by the way!) and disk brakes. this is an on going project still and the swap start before march ends. this is where I am so far

the motor. Its a 2001 corvette LS1.
stock bottom end
stock heads other then ls6 springs and push rods for the cam
edelbrock 2216 cam
edelbrock carb intake
msd 6010 ignition

and now for the fun part. PICTURES!!
how I got the car was a ****ty single stage "marina blue" haha A friend of mine painted it in his garage "cyber grey.

this is how I got the motor

northern auto re ring kit

LS6 springs and pushrods

the blue ones, not the yellow ones

got my GTO oil pan and everything I need for that, windage tray, pick up tube, and dip stick

Also got my adapter motor mount plates

got some car coils, but I also have a get of truck coils I have to clean up that I will use eventually.

got a set of edelbrock shorty headers for 30 bucks, so I will see if I can use them but if not I also have a set of truck manifolds. if all else fails Im going to go with the CBR mid length.

some msd wires also came with my coils...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

got some painting done, my buddy gave me a couple cans of this textured metallic black paint thats pretty cool and i went a little crazy with it.

got a mini hi torque starter from KMJ

Got my belt set up all done.

this is the belt and the ribbed idler pulley I used. it all fit perfect with the F-body low mount alternator bracket, idler pulley and bracket, balancer, and 98 camaro alt.
The dayco idler pulley was hitting the bracket a little so I used a washer that I had to modify a little to space it forward just a little to fit. works great. belt length couldnt be better.

just re painted my coil brackets

I made a little bracket for my MAP sensor to bolt to the carb stud

finally got my intake and msd

not using this carb but wants to set something on top to see what it looked like! haha

Cooling is really big for me so im going with the 4 corner steam tube. Also painted textures metallic haha

champion radiator

here is what my engine bay looks like now.
first off, when I first bought it

as it is now other than it does have headers now.

I have my torque converter and flywheel set up but I have to take some pictures. Ill get all that info and post some more soon.
I am dynoing my car as it sits on saturday and then doing it again after. Ill get some video and pictures of that.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Nice car!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

looks killer in the grey! you think you could pop a link up for that northern auto kit? I think I found it but I want to make sure its the correct one.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think any manifolds or headers fit other than what's made for it from what i have read on the nova forum. i have the CBR mid length but I haven't started a swap yet on my 66.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

these are the northern kits they have. http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ProductId=3182 I got the re ring kit but they have a master kit and a cam kit. I work at a chevy dealer in parts so I also got all new bolts... heads, rods, main caps, etc... (every bolt internally is not reusable on an ls motor.) I also got a new millings oil pump.

as for the exhaust, i hear the gto manifolds are what work. but we will see. i have a set of truck manifolds and shorty headers. The plan is to actually do a twin turbo set up eventually when I can afford it so im trying not to spend to much on the exhaust. I really dont want to buy headers because they are expensive and I probably wont use them long. So ill make something work. or I might be doing a turbo set up earlier than I thought...
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

ok so ive been busy! ive got my fuel pump mounted and new fuel line ran. also got my motor in! so far the only problem ive had has been that since the ls1 is an inch and a half shorter than a small block chevy the trans had to be moved forward about an inch or so. that also now made my drive shaft to short so i have to have a new one made. other than that its coming along pretty well. so ill give you some pictures to look at.

finally got some pictures to share. my fuel pump and fuel line is mounted and ran to the front. Just waiting on a fuse block that I should have thursday to start re wiring the old with the new and clean up some mess under that dash. got a painless 7 circuit and 2 relay fuse block to replace the stock one. now for some pictures. nothing to exciting but its something to look at.

cant decide which air cleaner... thoughts? haha

this is project fuel pump mount over kill

that is rubber in between the bolts, its actually the rubber deflector for the top of a snow plow. its thick and stuff but should still help with noise and vibration.

I forgot to get a picture of inside the trunk but there is another plate same size in the trunk. there is also another piece of the snow plow rubber in between the bottom of the floor and the bracket, and the thin rubber that came with the fuel pump between the pump and the bracket. all bolted together its super stiff but should definitely help with the noise and vibrations of the pump.

I used 2 wire insulated wire for my power and ground and run it through the grommet for the fuel sending unit into the trunk then up front. I will wire it once I get my fuse block.

cant even really see it. And I can actually adjust it up a little more.

oh and I got this in awhile ago to for my coolant hoses.

also my b&m holeshot 2400 and flat 6.0 flywheel with gm spacer and bolts.

once I get the motor in I will get a lot of the small stuff done, I just dont want to rush into it and have to re- do some stuff. but I had to get a new wheel for my engine hoist so thats why ive been held up for a bit haha. but I got it today so maybe this weekend ill pull the old motor and get the fuse block wiring done. and possibly set the ls1 in for test fit. Im short handed this weekend with my dad going out of town but Ill get it done.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

got a lot done this weekend. this morning I got the motor back in and bolted to the trans. got a little wiring done but ive had enough for the day haha. I also found out that the headers and the manifolds I have dont fit. so i have to figure something out for headers. does anyone have any suggestions that dont cost $600???

now for some more pictures!!

plenty of room for alternator and oil pan!

you can see here how much further forward the trans is, about an inch from where it should be.

now just to figure out if I should use this air cleaner

or this one
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

has anyone used the sandersons ls14 headers with a stock front end?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In got updated and new pics
Old 09-30-2013, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

forgot to update this.. car has been done and ive put probably a couple thousand miles on it this summer! now some pics!

first start up videos

Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job! I never would have imagined an LS fitting into a stock Nova bay...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks! its very tight but it works great! just wait till I get a procharger in there..
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Teching In

What headers did you end up using? How is the access to the oil filter? Looks fantastic!!!!

Quick Reply: 66 nova stock front end ls1