Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Energy Suspension Mount Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Energy Suspension Mount Inserts

Has anyone cut the tabs that stick out on these?

For some reason with my factory clam shells and 1in set backs I cant get the holes lined up.

Either the front is lined up and I can get the long bolt through halfway, and the back is slightly off cause of the clam shells hitting the tabs in the back.

Today the complete opposite, front is not lining up at all.

Ive had the motor at different angles with the load leveler trying to get it lined up.

I went and check the installation instructions to make sure they were in correctly. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sion/17272.pdf

And I have the small tab on top, and the larger tab on bottom like the instructions say.

Last edited by BOXCHEV; 04-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt...
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you need those tabs.. its been a while since I did a set of ClamShells.. do you have any pictures of the problem and how it is sitting or not correctly trying to seat ?

Is it the lenght of the tube that is causing you problem, as trying to slip between the Shell ? Maybe take it all apart and trial fit the shell on to the mount to see where it might be too tight, possible that the Upper Shell is out of form or compressed together, might need to spread the shell some ?.

The Tabs are needed to either rest on or act as stops from over rotating while the engine tries to torque over.

BC
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Passenger side

Driver side

Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The clam shells fit right on top of the frame pads no problem, but they will not sit properly and line the holes up cause of the tabs.

I might have to loosen the nuts on the frame pads, and line up the holes by hand and put the bolt through. Then lower the motor and bolt the frame pads back down onto the frame. Which is going to be a real PITA!!

I hate fishing around for that third bottom bolt on the frame pads. I don't know why GM couldn't have just put another small hole right there in the front of the crossmember to reach for that bolt instead of through the control arm.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what I see. I think it is more of an alignement that the Adapter plates are causing.. the lower tab should be almost seated like the upper tab. Seem your alignement is off some (angle wise).

what plates are you using ?.. might look into the Dirty Dingo that are adjustable. I know on the 1" setback (some).. the mounting hose for the mounts/shells are like 3/8" lower from the plate to engine bolt holes.

Some have inverted the plates (upside down/switching sides).

As far as them bolt/nuts in the frame.. I usually use some glue to hold the lock washer to the nut. Weather/Seal Glue work week. I then use a dab of glue or tap to hold the nut/washer to the wrench / socket. Then just stick it through the hole.. align in place, thread the bold in and the glue or tape will release as you pull away. Has worked well on both of my swaps.. (got the hint from watching TV... NASCAR Lug Nuts !)

BC
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using cashopinc 1in set back plates.

Maybe the issue is that I grinded the shells flat, that part that mounts up against the adapter plates.

I remember long before I attempted the swap people had this same issue because the clam shells wouldn't lay flat against the adapter plates. Guess its the other way around for me since they are laying flat. Probably shouldn't have grind them flat.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this will do anything but have you tried taking the clamshells and turning them 180 degrees? Looks like the higher tabs should go towards the bottom
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn energy suspension installation directions.

Took the clam shells off the adapter plates and tried to place them on the frame pads by hand...would not work.

So I flipped the clam shells and they fit onto the pads perfectly. Energy suspension says the small tabs should be on top and larger tabs on bottom... Incorrect, should be the other way around.

Spent a little time unbolting the frame pad bolts so I could take out the inserts and flip them..what fun that was.

Now everything fits like a glove.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to hear you got it figured out... did you call ES on this ?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I did not call, guess I probably should or even a email. A correction needs to be made in their installation instructions for sure.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

After looking at the instructions and your picture.. is it possible you just have the inserts upside down ?.. The large tab is pointing down and not up like the instructions show. !?

BC
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LMAO

Now that you mention it..... That may have been the issue. Or not, I'm not sure. All I know is that the larger tabs are up top now and it fits perfect. I'm curious now and would like to try it out, but really don't want to remove the bolts again..
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just remember.. they designed and engineered them to be used as directed for a reason.. It might go together ok .. but it might fail if incorrectly assembled.

But it might work ok. Better a little work now, than a lot of work later..

BC

Last edited by bczee; 04-06-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay bad Iphone pics.

The before and now.

Mount inserts are exactly like the the Energy Suspension diagram. Small tab up top, and large tab on bottom and both sloped at the correct angle...BUT insert had to be flipped upside down. Which would not work with the metal frame pads.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well.. at least we are going in the correct direction now.. picture of the problem area ?

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Mount Inserts