Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap into a 1962 Chevy Bel Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Swap into a 1962 Chevy Bel Air

Hi All

I am new to the site and new to LS1 motors i just picked one up to put into my 1962 Bel air

it came out of a firebird and has the 4l60e transmission

what painless wiring kit do i need? the painless kit 60508 looks like it will work but has no emmisions connections what do i do there? use the stock wires? any help will be apperciated or if someone could point me to a tutorial on older chevy swaps would be great

Thank You
Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are putting the motor in the 62 you don't need to worry about emmissions period delete it all. Call John at PSI and get a harness to run the engine and tranny the painless stuff is overpriced and their customer service sucks. Use the search box here you will find plenty of information to help get you on the right path.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 68 SS
If you are putting the motor in the 62 you don't need to worry about emmissions period delete it all. Call John at PSI and get a harness to run the engine and tranny the painless stuff is overpriced and their customer service sucks. Use the search box here you will find plenty of information to help get you on the right path.
do you have a number for PSI??? i am not familar with them so i dont know how to find them on the with just PSI as a name

i was just checking to make sure it will still run with out the emmissions like the o2 sensors

thanks for the help
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The only emissions equipment that you will need to retain will be the two front O2 sensors. Everything else can go. There are many, many harness options out there. Just be very careful on who you decide to purchase a harness from. There are many people out there that use the wrong tooling, offbrand connectors, used connectors, only solid color wire and not GM color coding. Just do your research, there are all kinds of harnesses out there.

If you feel like calling us, feel free to. Our number is below.

Bill
270-805-1777

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although I don't have any personal experience with painless, I haven't really heard anything good about their harnesses. I used BP automotive and was very pleased with the harness I got. It really took all the work out of it for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
The only emissions equipment that you will need to retain will be the two front O2 sensors. Everything else can go. There are many, many harness options out there. Just be very careful on who you decide to purchase a harness from. There are many people out there that use the wrong tooling, offbrand connectors, used connectors, only solid color wire and not GM color coding. Just do your research, there are all kinds of harnesses out there.

If you feel like calling us, feel free to. Our number is below.

Bill
270-805-1777
i will give you a call tomorrow thanks!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Alpine408
Hi All

I am new to the site and new to LS1 motors i just picked one up to put into my 1962 Bel air

it came out of a firebird and has the 4l60e transmission

what painless wiring kit do i need? the painless kit 60508 looks like it will work but has no emmisions connections what do i do there? use the stock wires? any help will be apperciated or if someone could point me to a tutorial on older chevy swaps would be great

Thank You
I did pretty much the same swap. I used a 700r4 transcross member:

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-s...1959-1964.html

For engine mounts you can either put the stock ones on a 1 inch thick chunk of aluminum or if you have a welder you can raise the pedestal up 1 inch.You will stil need the ls-1 plates for the engine.

I used a f-body oil pan, some others who have done the swap left the mounts stock ad beat on the frame some. For headers I used ls-1 s-10 ones, but theres alot of room for stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.psiconversion.com/

They are a sponsor here and have great customer service and support, I have used several of their harnesses which are of high quality. They will take good care of you.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap into a 1962 Chevy Bel Air