Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ in to a ZR2 pick up, need info please

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ in to a ZR2 pick up, need info please

i have a 00 chevy s10 ZR2 that is completely stock with 88,379 miles on the clock. its a 4L60E trans extended cab

i have been tossing around the idea of droping in a LQ9 or 4 in to this thing. im not looking to make huge power numbers but more so build it the way i think it should have come from the factory.

that being said, i have found verry little info about doing such a swap through the internet. so if any of yall have knowledge i would love to pick your brain. i need to know what to do about the motor mounts, left to right clearances along with hood clearances, and if there are issues what is are possable solutions. what to do about cooling every thing, exhaust routing ideas, headder selection, oil pan answers, and the obvous drive train and suspention issues. thanks in advance! i look foward to hearing from ya'll
Old 08-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Hood clearance is fine with a truck intake and alt. When I helped to do sparkplugs with a ZR2 with a 5.3L, it was pretty easy with the clearances.

I believe factory camaro headers work with some fabbing to the rest of the exhaust.

Oil pan just make one.

I believe the LSx motors will bolt up to the stock tranny if its a v6 just minus a couple bolts

From what I seen it seems rather simple, there is tons of S10s with a lsx swap

General Parts
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/p...x-swap-283608/

Oil Pan
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/5...02-zr2-335104/

Other considerations
- keeping 4x4?
- What transmission? Manual? t56?
- If manual keep 4x4?

The info is out there you just have to search for it, I mean really search. Till your fingers are bleeding, your eyes hurt and your brain is mush.

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2013, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Z28-Vortec
Hood clearance is fine with a truck intake and alt. When I helped to do sparkplugs with a ZR2 with a 5.3L, it was pretty easy with the clearances.

I believe factory camaro headers work with some fabbing to the rest of the exhaust.

Oil pan just make one.

I believe the LSx motors will bolt up to the stock tranny if its a v6 just minus a couple bolts

From what I seen it seems rather simple, there is tons of S10s with a lsx swap

General Parts
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/p...x-swap-283608/

Oil Pan
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/5...02-zr2-335104/

Other considerations
- keeping 4x4?
- What transmission? Manual? t56?
- If manual keep 4x4?

The info is out there you just have to search for it, I mean really search. Till your fingers are bleeding, your eyes hurt and your brain is mush.

Hope this helps
i am going to keep it 4w4. would like to keep it an auto.

i have heard there are new motor mounts needed. but the factory V6 mounts are wended to the frame. the 4l60e should bolt up, but for insurance im thinnking it should be built up a little. the V6 should have the same weight as the 6.0 so i dont think there should be any issue with suspention. i have sourced a wireing harness. i would like to keep the A/C, so was wondering if i should use the truck brackets or the car? the cooling pack, with the trans cooler, oil cooler, exc. should i go for something like an aftermarket unit for clutch fan clearances, or would it be easier to go with E-fans?

i plan to get my hands on the cast iron front diff for strength reasons. also plan to get the HD T-case out of an HD truck and convert it to a manual shift. the rear end should hold, no? i think a ZQ8 rack and pinion are in order. also, bravada front half shafts as they are a splined shaft and should provide more strength. the motor will be sourced from a junk yard, so a tear down and rebuild are in order. that being said, im thinking about the LS6 cam, 317 heads, LS6 intake manifold, LQ9 (if its not what im able to get my hands on) pistons. any one know if the LT4 rocker arms can be used? and if so, do the push rods and valve covers need to be modified or custom made? for fuel, can the factory fuel pump keep the motor happy? are the factory fuel lines large enough? what should i do about injectors?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Teching In

The truck Z28-Vortec mentioned and helped out with happens to be mine. So I will try to answer all of your questions best I can. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me.

Here we go:

Motor mounts
I made adapter plates (1/4 in plate) to use the energy suspension mounts meant for the 4.3 as nothing was available on the market at the time. Now Current performance sells some ZR2 specific ones here: http://www.currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/parts.html, but they are pricey.

Exhaust
I used F-body manifolds and then made a custom 2 to 1 exhaust, which is pretty much your only routing choice.

Oil Pan
The only one that fits on the market that I know of is from Milodon. It is the one I used however I had a very bad experience with them (took 6 months to get the pan) and the pan itself (no clearance for oil filter lines). The best bet is to modify a stock pan or have Moroso custom build you one.

Tranny
The 4.3 4l60E will work however only 5 bellhousing bolts will line up. Also depending on the length of the crankshaft (I know some LQs are excluded from this) a flexplate with a spacer will be required (I had to). It only cost $45. Also, my tranny had 100K on it and did not like the extra power...

Fuel System
The factory v6 pump is not rated for the pressure LS motors run at. However the ones that came in the 4cyl s10s are and actually flow more due to those motors being flex fuel. Those pumps have been proven to support at least 450 Hp. I then used a ls style corvette fuel filter and braided lines to finish it all up.

A/C
I ditched mine. However, it can be retained. the truck brackets will require you to notch the frame though.

Fans
E Fans will be a lot easier. Current performance has a radiator/condenser/E fan setup for s10 swaps. Its pricey but the setup looks awesome.

Front End
Iron diff and bravada shaft are definitely a good idea.

Rear End
Same ring and pinion as the Silverados so it should hold at least for a while.

Suspension
Nothing needed. An LQ shouldn't be more than 50 pounds heavier than the 4.3. Aluminum ls motors are supposedly 45 pounds lighter.

Engine
The LT motors are a completely different motor, so I doubt the rockers from one will work. If you want to upgrade the rockers then I would put a trunion kit in the stockers. Injectors might be needed as they are pretty much maxed out from the factory. LS6 intake will require different/modified accessories.

Wiring
I went to current performance for this. Probably the best money I ever spent

Computer
You should have the black computer stock so you will have to get an ls style one. From what depends on if you plan to go drive by cable or drive by wire. IMO cable is easier. Tune will most likely be needed with the mods you want to do.

As Z28-Vortec said you should check out s10forum.com as well as zr2usa.com as they both have swap guides as well as others that have made the swap. My truck was totaled about 9 months ago (rearended by a BMW), but I'll be working on the replacement soon and will hopefully make a build thread this time around.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

I figured you would see this at some point diesel lol, didn't want to mention your name if you didn't want me to.

v8zr2 - I would just use the truck intake and save the money vs getting an LS6 Intake manifold
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 AM

i have a friend that has a ls6 intake thats sitting around collecting dust. she said $250 and its mine, so i snaged it up. i figure if i could use it, i will, if not, ill pass it off on some one who could use it. ive been a member of s10planet for a long time. i was a member of ZR2usa about a year ago, but when my truck was totaled (some lady pulled out in front of me, i had no where to go and not enough distance to stop) they kinda gave me the boot. i cant log back in any more, and i cant create a new account. nore will they reply to any of my e mails.

diesel, i planned on the current performance items you mentioned. i just wondered about the motor mounts, and what they could handle when holding on to a 6litre motor.

like i said, im not looking for huge power numbers, just a decent daily driver and trail truck. ive got the duramax to play with! hehehe.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8zr2
i have a friend that has a ls6 intake thats sitting around collecting dust. she said $250 and its mine, so i snaged it up. i figure if i could use it, i will, if not, ill pass it off on some one who could use it. ive been a member of s10planet for a long time. i was a member of ZR2usa about a year ago, but when my truck was totaled (some lady pulled out in front of me, i had no where to go and not enough distance to stop) they kinda gave me the boot. i cant log back in any more, and i cant create a new account. nore will they reply to any of my e mails.

diesel, i planned on the current performance items you mentioned. i just wondered about the motor mounts, and what they could handle when holding on to a 6litre motor.

like i said, im not looking for huge power numbers, just a decent daily driver and trail truck. ive got the duramax to play with! hehehe.
Well the motor mounts I used were rated at 800 HP. The stockers break under v6 power as you probably know. The ones I used are at least 80 bucks now so I would just go with currents mounts. Then you would not have to fab anything and those mounts look like they are rated for even more.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built mounts out of 1/4" steel pretty easily with leaf spring bushings, I used a stock truck pan at first and just removed the diff (later went to the Milodon 4x4 pan), used the stock 99 PCM with a reflash, and used the stock 4l60e with the shims behind the flexplate. My 4x4 worked well and got better gas mileage than the 4.3. Overall a very easy swap. Even used the stock exhaust with a manga flow welded in. Only hard part was recessing the radiator but I used a corvette LS2 water pump and Holley accessory brackets with the corvette spacing. Even had AC with the top mount AC bracket.

Quick Reply: LQ in to a ZR2 pick up, need info please