Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooked up power steering ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hooked up power steering ???

IN MY MALIBU..Still hard to turn but not as hard as it was without it ???...WTH !
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No 1 ???
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lines crossed?
Did you bleed the system?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Lines crossed?
Did you bleed the system?
how do u bleed it ? i loosen the return side nut an let fluid run out then retightin it up...

Last edited by jaywill; 09-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywill
how do u bleed it ? i loosen the return side nut an let fluid run out then retightin it up...
The air that concerns you will actually be on the pressure side. Depending on your situation, it could be in the pump itself, the pressure line or the gearbox. I usually have the wheels up with the engine running at idle and turn from left to right slowly several times. ...by several I mean 30 to 60 or possibly more. Do 15 or 20 reps and check the fluid level and look for foam, top off as necessary and repeat. No foam means no air in the system. If it's growling or whining you have air in the pump, If it's hard to turn and there is no noise the air is in the gearbox, pressure line or you have a bad pump (unlikely, but happened to me with a replacement). First you need to try to bleed more and probably top off.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 09-15-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The air that concerns you will actually be on the pressure side. Depending on your situation, it could be in the pump itself, the pressure line or the gearbox. I usually have the wheels up with the engine running at idle and turn from left to right slowly several times. ...by several I mean 30 to 60 or possibly more. Do 15 or 20 reps and check the fluid level and look for foam, top off as necessary and repeat. No foam means no air in the system. If it's growling or whining you have air in the pump, If it's hard to turn and there is no noise the air is in the gearbox, pressure line or you have a bad pump (unlikely, but happened to me with a replacement). First you need to try to bleed more and probably top off.
Happy wheels up in the air
Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
the wheels r off the ground..could it be i dont have my belt going around my p.s. pulley ? but i have a shorter belt that bypass the pulley but it touch enough to turn it ???
Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the wheels r off the ground..could it be i dont have my belt going around my p.s. pulley ? but i have a shorter belt that bypass the pulley but it touch enough to turn it ???

Seriously? You don't have the belt on the pulley but it's touching? Did you ever think this "random touching" might be driving the pump backwards? Not to be ugly, but perhaps you should get a friend who knows about cars to take a look...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s10xgn
Seriously? You don't have the belt on the pulley but it's touching? Did you ever think this "random touching" might be driving the pump backwards? Not to be ugly, but perhaps you should get a friend who knows about cars to take a look...
damn !!! U r soooo right!! Thanks 4 waking me up !!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put new belt on power steering works flawlessly !!!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put new belt on power steering works flawlessly !!!
Excellent!

Quick Reply: hooked up power steering ???