Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning a LQ9/fox boosted build, want some input!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a LQ9/fox boosted build, want some input!

So I am not new to cars or ls motors, for the most part. I'm trying to research and plan ahead of time so I will tell you my idea.

100% streetable 1100-1500whp reliable car that can really move the **** out. Th400 or 4l80. Again. Streetable. Not 5000rpm at 70mph on the highway hahahaha 93/e85 car.

I have a goal of boosting this car as soon as I can afford to. I am going to start out with a bone stock LQ9. And enjoy it like that for a while and boost it then build it when I break it. Originally wanted to go carb while it was NA but it'll cost roughly the same to keep it EFI so I am going to go efi right off the bat. A 4500 carbed intake manifold and a elbo and a big *** throttle body.

Question 1: is it simple to swap between cable and DBW throttle bodies? Since I plan to boost it I want to run the biggest tb I can so that will determine which throttle type I use. I prefer dbw since it's easier to setup.

Onto some internals. Down the road I will need to build it. While I don't want to break the bank I will spend a little extra always for quality and reliability. That being said who makes the best rods for say 1500whp (realistically closer to 11-1300 goal)? I will do more research on heads and cam at a later time.

Now, for the crank. I would keep the stock crank. But I am considering stroking it to 408 or larger. What would be the most reliable crank and rod setup? From what I read a 4" stroke is the most reliable for a boosted application, I believe I'm limited to a 408 then?

And the last, and biggest ha, question I have, turbo recommendation. I was looking at a single (I will NEVER run twins) promod 91 or a big s400. I'm not used to these huge displacement cars (come from imports mostly) I don't know what would be "laggy" for these motors and what would be a good ar to run. To me it's not laggy if it's a 3000rpm power and or better. Example full power at 5k but carries hard all the way to 8k

Any and all input is appreciated. I got a good amount down like suspension/k member psi wiring harness what ecu etc to run. I know for the 4l80 it's a bit more of a pita to swap/custom/expensive but for drivability and reliability it's worth it

Last edited by WhatTurboLag; 11-20-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Booo lol
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

A 4l80 will fit with some massaging, but on the flip side with a turbo car you dont need to run a very low rear gear. you can get away with a 3.08, 3.27 or 3.31 gear. so a th400 wouldnt be so bad on the highway. I personally think you would be better off with a glide at that power level. I plan on doing a similar build soon and i plan on using a S480 turbo they make plenty of power and hardly any lag. if you go with the non over drive transmissions then a trans brake is a definate possibility then the lag wouldnt be an issue. the rotating assembly i use Ohio Crankshafts I have had phenominal luck with their product. you get way more than what you pay for.

http://www.ohiocrank.com/chevls_rotate.html

as far as converting it from a DBW to a DBC setup, until you change the crank or reluctor wheel to a 24 tooth, you will have to run a Lingenfelter reluctor wheel signal converter box.

Hope this helps
Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Teching In

That helps a lot thanks, I do not know that much about a glide other than its a 2 speed. Wouldn't that suck ******** on the street?

I'm looking at the biggest compressor housing PTE sells and a decent size wheel, like a promod 91 or 94. I believe that is the biggest compressor housing.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

at that power level it will help with boosting. a glide puts more load on the engine. more load on the engine creates more boost then it pulls through much harder. the final drive is the same as a th400 1:1.

my friend went through a few pro mod pte turbos. they kept blowing apart on him. Ive never seen a S480 fail, plus they are cheaper. you can get the billet wheel with the race cover. here is a link

http://www.bullseyepower.com/S400.asp
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Teching In

A big s400 is definitely on the top of my list for sure.

And I'll have to look more into a glide. How would it compare to the 4l80? I still would like to TRY to obtain relatively good gas mileage and have no fear driving across country with it
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

I all depends on what you wanna use the car for. itll be faster with a glide but it wont have the driveability of an 80e, you also can lockup the converter with an 80e. but it wont launch as hard as a glide with a brake

The dark grey with black stripes, coupe has a glide in it .... 408W small turbo
Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Teching In

I'm sort of a newbie to turbos, why don't you want twins? Am u wrong in assuming 2 smaller turbos wind better for street driving, less turbo lag?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Well knowing what I know now about glides, it looks like I'd run a 4l80 or a glide. But like I said I want to feel comfortable to drive it across country without any worry. Ideally 70mph cruise speed under 4000 (more like under 3500) rpm. It will be raced at the drag strip mostly. But won't ever rule out roll racing on cruise nights. Because that happens more. Don't want to be changing gears out to go to the drag strip or constantly re building the trans either. I do not want to trailer this thing everywhere. I hope y'all are getting an idea what I'm trying to build.

Reason behind a big single, it's my preference. I like simplicity especially for that. I would run the biggest single I could before I went to twins.

And I love how a monster compressor housing looks in the engine bay >
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

i got a th350 in mine, a 3.55 gear and 275/60/15 drag radials. at 70mph its at 3300 rpm, same final of a 1:1. so with a glide you will be under that rpm. a glide is a VERY tough trans there are people making way more power than what you want with glides.

With my th350 i drive it everywhere to include the track and run it, its not that bad. that coupe in the video does the same with a glide. hell in that video he had to drive around 40 miles to get to that spot, raced then drove it 40 miles back home. i did the same in mine. hell he did it last night too, he called me to see if i wanted to go. Damn job gettin in the way of my racing addiction. they both have their advantages.....

80e ............ lock converter and od
glide .......... trans brake, lighter, fits better, faster, cheaper

LMR pulled the 80e out of the Tejano Blue TT C6Z and put a glide in and it went faster
Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Hmm. Might at least go with a glide for a little. The 80 can have a TB too though can't it? Lol
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Yes it can but they react very slow. A pro brake in a glite is instant. If you arent making at least 700+HP numbers a glide may hurt you, not enough cohonies to pull through the gears.

Last edited by v8sten; 11-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Interesting. Well it will run e85. Mybe 93 if I can't find any. Boosted that shouldn't be an issue but if I don't boost it right away it might. Why is this so?

Also I see it's possible to run a lockup converter with some glides.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

thats news to me, i wasnt aware of that. it looks like you have to have a PG that is built for the lockup. then thats a no brainer Glide all the way. Them ProMod guys come up with the coolest ****.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Yep. Looks expensive though. I don't know what differentiates the 2 trans' from a lockup vs non lockup
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

prolly some extra passages and a solenoid
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Hmm. There's also the option of a 2.10 or other aftermarket geared th400.

Quick Reply: Planning a LQ9/fox boosted build, want some input!