Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Dryer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Dryer

With my LS7 Z4 swap I'm using the F-body accessories, to include the F-body AC compressor. I need to remake/replace all of the BMW AC lines, as well as relocate and replace the (original) BMW dryer (it's 10years old).

My question is, are dryers "matched" to a system or can I use a GM dryer (cost and availability)? I'd like to use the dryer from an S-10 as it would fit very nicely and be an easy conversion to AN lines.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

They are calculated systems much like the cooling system. With a swap, you're fudging stuff already, so make an educated decision

Age doesnt really affect hard parts like that. Being open to the elements and debris or having other contaminates run through it will. As cheap as driers are, why not?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

If I recall from my AC class, the type of drier used depends on whether the system uses an orifice tube or a TXV.

I don't see why an S10 drier wouldn't work though.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pocket
Age doesnt really affect hard parts like that. Being open to the elements and debris or having other contaminates run through it will. As cheap as driers are, why not?
I read the dryer needed to be changed:
- every 3 years
- any time the system is opened to the elements (ie: apart like it is now)

is that no true?

I figured for $30 it was cheap insurance.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Change it any time the system is opened up.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Never heard about changing them every 3 years, just when the system has been opened like the others have said. That said, what are you using for an evaporator and condenser? These parts are matched for the best effeciency. Also the F body's use a variable displacement compressor that doesn't work very well on most swaps.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Using the BMW evaporator (whole HVAC box) and had planned on using the BMW condenser (though that might change when I get to the radiator).

Is there a better compressor than the F-body unit? The BMW compressors are expensive.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are fine with the Camaro compressor. In fact the BMW accessories are very similar to the GM stuff. There is a lot of misinformation on the A/C stuff probably from the guys that want to sell you a new A/C system. The rest of the online community has latched onto that and have become drones of misinformation. The number one fallacy is they say the variable compressors will burn up after about a year because they work too hard because they will be on all the time. What they don't tell you is that they are designed to be on all the time and the output changes to match the demand. They can be used with both TVS and orifice tubes. Both are designed to perform the same function. The variables do run a slightly higher pressure for both the high and low. If you charge them properly then they will perform just like any other compressor in this case a fixed compressor. The main differences come in with how the system is setup. The variable setups use a pressure sensor that reads the pressure of the system. The fixed compressors use a on/off pressure switch which actually cycles the compressor instead of being on all the time. This is programmed through the PCM and wiring differences. I would use the GM compressor and the rest BMW after checking to see which type it uses. If you want to use the variable and the BMW uses a fixed then you need to program the PCM and use a pressure sensor. Another route would be to try to just mate the BMW compressor to a mount.
http://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/hea...ompressors.pdf
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

WOW! Thanks for that info!

I'll have to do some research into what the BMW compressor was.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Ok, maybe I wasn't specific enough in my statment about variable compressors not working well in swaps. What 69ghost said is true, but you need the sensor for it to work right. I'm not talking from what I read on the internet, I've tried it firsthand. On a vintage air set up with just a trinary switch it will work ok but not great. The compressor does operate at higher pressures than optimum and slightly undercharging it doesn't help much. Vintage designs they're A/C systems to work as a whole system and putting another part that's not specd for it causes it to be not as efficient. Sort of like how you can physically put a 1bbl carb on a big block and it will run, but not nearly as well as if it had the carb it was designed for. What I'm getting at is I'm sure the BMW system works flawlessly because the factory spent the money to figure out what works with what and throwing another compressor in the mix may yield less than safisfactory results. Just throwing it out there so you can think through what you want to do. If at all possible, I would use the BMW compressor, you would probably be happiest with it.

Quick Reply: AC Dryer