Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a p2138 code prevent the engine from running?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would a p2138 code prevent the engine from running?

Put a scanner on my car and it came up with the p2138 code ( throttle position sensor) and I didn't know if that would not allow the motor to get spark. Or run. Some say yes some say no.....my harness apparently was wired for a truck pedal and I have a vette pedal. I've been told they are pinned differently. So some wire moving is in my future but would that prevent spark? I'm hot to the coil packs connector and coils down I am not.

Key on the butterfly moves on my TB and I have 12v at ECM bat, fuel pump and 12v source.

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

No, should still start, but throttle probably wouldn't work. If it won't start, make sure you have all grounds hooked up and are good and tight. Make sure the injectors have power, and make sure you don't loose power while cranking, depending what you have your harness powered up by, some circuits will loose power. If that all checks out, make sure your injectors are not stuck.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
No, should still start, but throttle probably wouldn't work. If it won't start, make sure you have all grounds hooked up and are good and tight. Make sure the injectors have power, and make sure you don't loose power while cranking, depending what you have your harness powered up by, some circuits will loose power. If that all checks out, make sure your injectors are not stuck.
All grounds are good and I believe I have good power while cranking. And not sure I checked the injectors themselves....would that prevent spark through plug wires to the plugs?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

No, none of that will prevent spark. Are you saying you've checked and have no spark? Crank sensor plugged in? VATS disabled?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, none of that will prevent spark. Are you saying you've checked and have no spark? Crank sensor plugged in? VATS disabled?
No spark from coils down. Used a tester and nothing. And yes vats deleted and crank sensor plugged in.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

No spark on all eight coils? Double check your grounds, you have power to the coils and the PCM sends a ground to control them. If that's good, could be in the wiring harness, bad wire in the crank sensor wiring. Does your scanner show live data? If so, are you showing any RPM while cranking?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No spark on all eight coils? Double check your grounds, you have power to the coils and the PCM sends a ground to control them. If that's good, could be in the wiring harness, bad wire in the crank sensor wiring. Does your scanner show live data? If so, are you showing any RPM while cranking?
Just checked DS but two of 4 wires were not hot. For example, one connector had light blue wire lead to ecm. That stayed not hot during cranking. Rpm gauge was moving while cranking
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Just checked DS but two of 4 wires were not hot. For example, one connector had light blue wire lead to ecm. That stayed not hot during cranking. Rpm gauge was moving while cranking
A little confused. What light blue wire are you talking about? The ignition power should be pink wires, are you sure you're checking the right wires?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it ended up being the crank position sensor. Guess the old one was bad.....

Quick Reply: Would a p2138 code prevent the engine from running?