Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness modifications....best way to cut & splice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness modifications....best way to cut & splice

I'm doing a LSX conversion on a 72 Corvette. I'm now at the point I want to shorten the wire runs to clean up the harness. Obviously, its down to cutting the wire and removing the excess.

What are the best butt splices to use? I've heard of pins, but I'm not sure if that's better than butt connectors. Obviously I will need to shrink wrap the connectors. I've got the expensive crimping tool, so I'm part way there.

I need suggestions and part numbers to order. Soldering is not an option, I want mechanical crimps.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

IMO, solder is the best way to go.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Have you thought about unpinning the terminals from the plugs, cutting to length, and repinning with new terminal ends? That's usually the route I go with any harness work, much cleaner and quicker than splicing in my opinion.

I think all the engine sensor plugs are Delphi Metri-pack 150s. Usually like 25 cents a piece from places like EFI Connection, etc, and most sell packs of both male and female terminals.

Just a thought
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ART T
IMO, solder is the best way to go.
I agree. I've never had good results with crimp connectors of any type for joining two wires together in a long term automotive application. I do however use them occasionally for temporary / test / field repair work.

Why is soldering not an option?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda on the same topic. I need to lengthen my Throttle pedal wires. The instructions for my GM stand alone harness say not to modify, Is this for liability issues or ??
Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

When you talk about repining. I've never tried this, do you have a thread or web site that shows this procedure. Also I think I know NOT to modify the O2 sensor wires, are there any other that should not be shortened or lengthened?

Thanks Much
Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Kinda on the same topic. I need to lengthen my Throttle pedal wires. The instructions for my GM stand alone harness say not to modify, Is this for liability issues or ??
I would assume so. What you're doing with swapping pedals you are way outside any warranty / liability concerns. Not saying it can't or won't work but in my opinion swapping drive by wire pedals is no different or better than modifying the harness going to the pedal itself. The manufacturer would consider everything they provided "a system" and you modified "the system" so any undesirable results and concerns are fully yours. That would be the lawyers I used to work for speaking.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Harness splice

Lots have been written about splice vs solder. First, most of the wires are small and will not "fill up" a connector thus leading to faulure. Applying too much solder will cause the wire to become stiff and over a period of time vibration will cause failure. Tuff call on which way to go. Research and practice.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I second the re-terminate. Also recommend EFI-Connection. Good guys, fairly priced and they absolutely have the correct parts. Make sure to get a proper crimper.
Fierofly, I had EFI-Connection supply a new pedal harness with the PCM end unfinished and terminated myself. Made for a very clean install.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

I prefer to depin at the ecm, reroute the harness, then repin at the ecm. When I splice is needed, I use a western union style with solder and heat shrink. You can buy the pins by the 100's at mouser.

Originally Posted by Fierofly
I lengthened mine and it has been running fine for over a year. I even added a connector in the middle of them do I wouldn't need to tear apart the console to pull the throttle pedal wires back out (also ran the brake booster sensor wires through the same connector).
Old 06-01-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fieroguru
I prefer to depin at the ecm, reroute the harness, then repin at the ecm. When I splice is needed, I use a western union style with solder and heat shrink. You can buy the pins by the 100's at mouser.
Great Info, Can you give me the Proper Nomenclature for the parts I need to order for cutting and repining my ECM. Not sure of the exact Manufactor of the GM stand alone harness, I'm guessing Delphi or ?

Thanks much also for the Mouser info.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

I would agree on the repining, IF you have the correct crimping tool.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ART T
I would agree on the repining, IF you have the correct crimping tool.
Me too - which I don't and most can't afford (including me).
Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

besides cutting and repining the connectors this is my #1 option http://www.nspa.com/multilink.html
Ive used them many many times. great success with them.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1320king
besides cutting and repining the connectors this is my #1 option http://www.nspa.com/multilink.html
Ive used them many many times. great success with them.
Where are you buying them?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

You can shorten the harness copper wires that go from the PCM to the sensor connector. They are just copper wires. However, the actual sensor wires that are part of the sensor are made of a high nickel content wire and are nearly impossible to get solder to wick onto them. That's why universal 02 sensors have crimp but splice connectors.

I have modified tons of factory harnesses and soldered all my connections without any issues. I prefer the van harnesses as they are almost 12 feet long so you can mount the PCM almost anywhere. Use good quality heat shrink tubing and you will be fine. My YouTube vid shows several harnesses including ls1 and e38 configs including truck and car layouts.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there are no critical lengths for any of the wires, the pedal can be one foot or twelve. Steve
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed n bumped
Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Caspers crimp tool w/seals for about $30 can be had at most of the online shops.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1334

Mouser for connectors -any and all..

www.mouser.com

All you need and you will never go back. I just buy lots of male/female pins. If I am splicing wires I cut the ends off and just use the 'crimp' part. When done right you cannot pull the wires apart. I have done the entire car this way converting an entire 4th gen wiring harness - extending, splicing, whatever. No problems and would not do it any other way. If it is good enough for GM it is good enough for me.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the correct name of the terminal at Mouser? I'm finding a lot of similar products and I'm not sure the pictures are telling me enough.
I'm looking for the female terminals that replace the pin terminals for the ecu connectors(blue&red)

Quick Reply: Harness modifications....best way to cut & splice