Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 accessory's with ls6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 accessory's with ls6 intake

I'm sure this has been handled before but I can't find a easy and cheap solution . I have a 04 lq4 dbw with truck intake in my 71 nova using dirty dingo's alt only bracket that sticks out in right field. I just purchased a ls6 intake . I read somewhere that there is a truck water pump that you can change to front in order to clear dbw throttle body.

what do you think is the easiest solution and least expensive ?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Teching In

I've been down this road. The VVT truck water pump will clear a cable TB but not a DWB. Get a 2010 Camaro

I do have a 0 mile truck water pump if you want to go dbc
Old 09-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

With the 2010 camaro w/p all other accessories/pullies can stay in the same position?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackHD
With the 2010 camaro w/p all other accessories/pullies can stay in the same position?
Yes i have read that too,(l99 2010 camaro) water pump and tensioner will work aprox 250 from rock auto I was trying to find something in a normal range of 100-150
Old 09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackHD
Yes. I did move my ALT and you will need to move the idler pulley
Old 09-11-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by flynfrog
I've been down this road. The VVT truck water pump will clear a cable TB but not a DWB.
Perhaps it didn't work for you, but here is my LY6 with LS3 intake using the LY6 accessories including waterpump and DBW throttle body. I did a minor trim near the waterpump outlet and relocated the idler and trimmed the alternator bracket to clear.

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I'm not a big fan of the tall truck intake, so I dug around and found a take-off LS3 intake from a 2010 Camaro for $215 shipped. I started this thread to collect more info on what's involved in swapping from a truck intake to a car intake on this engine.

Because the car intake places the throttle body much lower, there are a few places where things interfere with the truck accessories. First is the waterpump outlet, which can interfere with the motor drive assembly on the electric throttle body as shown here. This is before snuggin the intake down.

I used a Dremel and a small cutoff wheel to remove the offending aluminum. I like cutoff wheels for trimming aluminum like this because they don't clog up dangerously the way grinding wheels do. Here it is trimmed:

The next order of business will be relocating the idler pulley which is now in the same area as the throttle body. I started by taking the pulley of it's bolt as shown:

Then I used washers for mockup to temporarily locate the idler on one of the mounting bolts for the accessory bracket. I have a new machined spacer and bolt on order that will permanently attach this for under $8. I will post the part numbers after I verify fitment.

After trimming off the accessory bracket, I think I will have the following two options for belt routing. The second option is my preference since it more closely resembles the original belt routing, it provides more wrap around the pulleys, and the tensioner is acting in the direction of the belt.

Here is how I relocated the idler pulley and made the truck accessories work with the LS3 intake for under $10. Granted I do still need to buy a belt, but I'm also thinking about scrapping this altogether and making my own brackets from scratch. I don't like how high the alternator sits with this setup.

First off the parts. From Misumi USA (www.misumiusa.com), the spacer is PN KNCLM10-30-20 and cost $5.70. It is nickel plated steel, 10mm ID, 30MM OD and 20MM length. The bolt is PN CB10-160 and cost $2.40. It is M10x160mm length. Total $8.10.

Here you can see that the spacer is the appropriate height to position the idler in line with where it originally was

I am spoiled with a mill in my garage, so I used it to cleanly trim down the bracket. You could also do this with a vertical bandsaw or even a hacksaw.

Here is the trimmed bracket around the throttle body

And here you can see a notch I added for the vacuum port on the drivers side of the intake

Here is the ilder pulley mounted with a ratchet strap used as a mockup belt

The Misumi spacer installs here:

And this is what the finished accessory drive looks like using a ratchet strap to mockup the belt path.

Sorry about the black & white pictures. Somehow the setting got changed while I was taking pictures.

I haven't decided yet if I want to keep this setup or scrap it altogether in favor of putting the alternator on the passenger side (lower) and making my own brackets for everything.

That's all for now!
Here are a few more shots of the truck accessory drive with the car intake. I am probably going to order an a/c compressor and see where things fit before I decide what I want to do.

Later I went with the 2010+ Camaro L99 waterpump accessories (see below) because I wanted things lower and just thought it looked cleaner overall, but you should be able to make the LY6/truck accessories work with the LS6 intake. It's been done a few times.

The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (03-17-2024)
Old 09-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Can you just get a fbody water pump and tensioner and a spacer kit and be done?

Last edited by astross89; 09-11-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by astross89
Can you just get a fbody water pump and tensioner and a spacer kit and be done?
I Think that will be my final solution , but In the meantime does anybody know the part# for the truck water pump that you can swap the freezeout plug and the outlet neck ?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The pre 07 DBW TB will not clear the angled outlet (L92) water pump.
If your Alt accessory bracket bolts to the water pump, like my Kwik AC bracket, the 98-02 f body with spacers wont work. If that's not an issue, that will be your best bet. You'll also need the tensioner for the f body application.
I recall seeing the spacing on the 2010 Camaro pump tensioner mounts would not allow use of the kwik bracket.
I looked at moving the outlet on the truck pump, but an easier solution for me was to swap the truck pulley on to the f body pump. You do need an f body pump with removable back for this.
For parts that eventually need replacing (water pumps), you're always best to use an off the shelf part. Go with the f body/spacers or 2010 Camaro if you can. In my case, I needed the heater hose modification anyway and needed the mechanical fan provision so the pulley swap was the best solution. I did make a spare that's stashed in the garage.

Quick Reply: lq4 accessory's with ls6 intake