Sponsored by:

Need Help - 2005 Corvette LS2 with truck accessories - AC bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Need Help - 2005 Corvette LS2 with truck accessories - AC bracket

Hi,

I'm finishing up installing my LS2. I am moving all accessories over from my LM7.

What I didn't have before was A/C and I am adding that. Since I am going with truck accessories, the Vette A/C compressor /bracket has to come off. I purchased what was supposed to be a bracket and compressor off of a LS2 TBSS and I figured it would bolt right up to the motor. It looks like the bottom holes in the AC bracket line up next to the oil pan instead of holes in the block. Am I missing something or possibly bought or received the wrong bracket? I also have what is supposed to be a LM7 bracket and it seems to have the same issue. Am I having a brain fart here? So close and a little frustrated so hopefully you guys can help me think this through.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mercier; 09-24-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Indicate "need help" in the title
Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

AC compressor and bracket stated from a 2008 TBSS.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

It looks like you are correct. From what I can see the TBSS oil pan has bolt holes for the AC bracket on it. Here's an image I found on the net.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the truck and corvette accessories are offset differently, so are not interchangeable.
Holley makes a conversion bracket for truck motors in different applications as does another vendor (or two).

Can you add some pictures to show the orientation?

Doug
Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1964SS
It looks like you are correct. From what I can see the TBSS oil pan has bolt holes for the AC bracket on it. Here's an image I found on the net.

CORRECTION: the bracket looks similar, but is not identical. The center of my bracket has a short mounting hole that bolts the bracket to the block.

Perhaps one of the later truck compressor brackets will work. Those definitely do not bolt to the oil pan.

Doug

Last edited by DW SD; 09-24-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Correct my reply above!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

I definitely know that the truck and corvette brackets and even compressors are different. Hence why I removed the Vette bracket and compressor. Now I am trying to bolt up the 2008 TBSS bracket and compressor to the 2005 Vette LS2 and there are no holes in the block(not even untapped bosses) to accommodate the lower bolts.

1964SS's image seems to confirm what I dreaded. I was hoping to either use the Vette pan I have on it now, or the truck pan off the LM7 I just took out.

Doug, are you saying that the block hangs lower on the later trucks? I will take a pic when I get home but I am pretty sure there are NO holes down along the oil pan rail on this LS2 engine block. I may have just been so frustrated I overlooked though.

Thanks for the help, guys..never in a million years did I expect to see an A/C bracket bolted to an oil pan!!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

You see those bottom holes in a triangular pattern just above the interface between the block and oil pan? In my application, those anchor the AC bracket (along with the top two shown in the picture)
I don't think the block hangs down further.

Doug
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

So then the later truck applications have a shorter bracket, or at least the bottom mounting holes are higher? I will take a pic of the side of this block as soon as I get home in a few hours.

Thanks again for the help. If I go through all of this and don't actually get the A/C installed(what started this whole thing that led to engine swap, etc...or so I said) my girlfriend will literally shoot me.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JakeB used a Trailblazer SS compressor with a Trailblazer non-SS bracket on a LS3 swap with an F Body oil pan.

I believe the LS3 FEAD offset is the same as the truck accessories (which is not the same as the Corvette offset)

Here's some info in this post.

And a bit more in this post.

Hope this helps.

Tipsy
Old 09-24-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the pic of my motor.

Passenger side 2005 Vette LS2 Motor
Old 09-24-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Tipsy, I think you may have done it for me on that first link..the pic of the three brackets together. I have another truck bracket somewhere in the garage that might be later. Going to go dig for it. Will report back.

I am still almost curious enough to go to the dealer and put my hands on a TBSS pan and see if there really are mounting holes in it. Creepy...but then I grew up with shitty stamped steel oil pans. This new-fangled cast aluminum stuff is very different.

Thanks again, guys.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well I have confirmed it...I am a dumbass. See pic below; I had the right bracket all along and now I have two compressors that don't fit said bracket. Still can't bolt the bottom holes but has the two in the middle which will give me 4 and work perfectly...now for the damn compressor.

Anybody want to trade me a nice truck AC compressor for either a 53K mile Vette or 60K mile TBSS unit/bracket?

2005 Vette LS2 block side with truck AC bracket
Old 09-24-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yah, that bracket looks right. I think the bottom holes are for the compressor to bolt to the bracket (as opposed to bolting to the oil pan). Are they not tapped? They should be.

I have the Denso 10S20F compressor, which bolts to that bracket. I've been told to avoid the Four Seasons compressor. Perhaps you can get one from a local junkyard?

Doug
Old 09-24-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Note, the F in the compressor model # refers to fixed displacement. These are not OEM part #s, but manufacturer.

Doug
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks again for the info. I see some TBSS oil pans on eBay with proper pickup, tray, etc for under $100. Should I go that way or stick with the Vette pan and get the truck compressor? I have a lot of ground clearance in the Jeep obviously. Any opinion on what is better?

Quick Reply: Need Help - 2005 Corvette LS2 with truck accessories - AC bracket