Sponsored by:

foxbody wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foxbody wont turn over

93 mustang with 5.3

I did a auto the manual conversion and deleted the starter solenoid.

the wire from the ignition that comes the firewall (I) wire is directly connected to the wire that is on the solenoid (S). I can manually jump the two posts on the starter and it will turn over no problem but turning the key will not start the vehicle. Any information would be greatly valued. thank a lot.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check the lead with a test light and a friend. make sure it is getting power when you turn the key/hit button.

Could be you missed a lead from the neutral safety switch as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
check the lead with a test light and a friend. make sure it is getting power when you turn the key/hit button.

Could be you missed a lead from the neutral safety switch as well.
yup no power on that signal wire. where is the neutral safety switch and what do I do with that?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Usually they are built into the switch/circuitry on the side of the transmission.

They usually just close either a positive or negative circuit to allow the starter to engage. This is what tells the starter circuit the vehicle is in park or neutral to avoid running someone over by starting it in gear.

You did say you went from automatic to manual? If that is what you have done, then you need to add a clutch safety switch somehow. That will only allow you to engage the starter if the clutch is pressed to the floor. Again, for safety. You will need to contact someone more familiar with your vehicles wiring to get it to work properly and look factory.

Best of luck.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I would imagine a foxbody would have the NSS on the shifter in the console. If you removed the shifter and didn't jump the two NSS wires, then that's why it won't start. As the other guy said, you should have some kind of clutch switch, but it's not totally necessary, older cars didn't have them, but then, that was a time when people could take care of themselves, without someone looking out for them, and natural selection weeded out the dumb ones.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I would imagine a foxbody would have the NSS on the shifter in the console. If you removed the shifter and didn't jump the two NSS wires, then that's why it won't start. As the other guy said, you should have some kind of clutch switch, but it's not totally necessary, older cars didn't have them, but then, that was a time when people could take care of themselves, without someone looking out for them, and natural selection weeded out the dumb ones.
If by chance someone is not seeking to use either NSS or CIS when doing the ls swap into the foxbody, would it be possible to just cut the white/pink wire at the ignition switch and run that wire to the top of the ford starter solenoid? that way the NSS and CIS would be completely bypassed. Also, the TFI module is in that circuit but isn't used anyways with the ls swap correct?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Neutral safety

I highly recommend you use SOMETHING for a neutral safety switch. I have heard and seen several results of not having one and, believe me, it's not cute. Get focused on a problem, reach in and start the car. With any luck at all it will only take out the washer and dryer. One method that I use when there is no way to hook a NSS to the shifter is to use the brake pedal. Find the wire coming off the brake switch, tap off it and use a relay. You have to be sitting in the car and pressing the brake to start the car.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Send me your email, I have a complete schematic for the 93 Mustang
Old 09-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Can you jumper the neutral safety switch to bypass it?

Quick Reply: foxbody wont turn over