Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost... battery/alternator wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost... battery/alternator wiring

I’m a little lost, I hooked up the battery today to start and had big big sparks. Spot welded the battery post.

Some background, car is a 93 rx7 with a 2001 z28 ls1 it had a hacked harness for the swap. i have a new standalone harness that i just put in few weeks ago. Right now I have battery+ -> starter -> alternator

There is 2 large 6 gauge coming off the alternator, one is cut so i capped it for now. Other went to the frame. I noticed that one going to the frame was scorching hot after having the battery connected for about 30seconds tops. ive disconnected that but been trying to troubleshoot since.

I used my multimeter ohm function to test continuity between positive and negative cables and i get no tone no reading? im a bit lost on this part of the wiring. any help would be great!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sticking you here in the conversions section. Certainly didn't belong in internal engine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html
Old 08-22-2015, 06:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Skeeg
There is 2 large 6 gauge coming off the alternator, one is cut so i capped it for now. Other went to the frame. I noticed that one going to the frame was scorching hot after having the battery connected for about 30seconds tops.
Of these cables to/from the alternator, does anything go to battery positive?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Teching In

sorry about that, i did some searching and made a topic off one of the ones i found.

as of now, no. ends at the alternator currently. nothing is coming back to the positive side of the battery. there is just the "crossover" from starter to alternator.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

And through this "crossover" cable the 6 gauge cable going to the frame is grounding the positive from the battery.

Curious: Why would this cable be grounded to the frame?

Got any pics?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Teching In

So I didn't climb under the car, I actually jus cleaned up haha.

So the battery main + cable is going to the starter, from the starter to the alternator(what I'm calling the crossover) there it ends. There is however a cut red wire there that I capped. Another black wire was coming off the back of the alternator also, and bolted to the engine bay. In these pictures I have it cut.

So - battery----starter----alternator. I called the company that did my engine harness and said "it should be grounded" when I asked. Asked about the other wire and said to "try a couple things out" haha, I think I called during lunch break.

Thanks for all the help btw

Unrelated, I'm using a leash electronics board for my chassis harness and that thing seems to be DOA... Been a good day.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Old 08-22-2015, 07:51 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Skeeg
In these pictures I have it cut.
OK, with this wire cut (no longer grounded to the frame of the vehicle) you can connect the battery without any issues or fireworks?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Teching In

yes, with this removed i have zero issue connecting now. so i think ultimately this was the issue, but do i need to run a new wire from alternator back to battery? or will the charge backfeed since everything is connected to each other?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

So when the company said "it should be grounded" they might've been talking about a different wire, you misunderstood them or they're completely wrong.

Glad you got this fixed. Now onto I'm sure your many other problems!

Quick Reply: lost... battery/alternator wiring