Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 block... what now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 block... what now?

If I was given an LQ9 block, which I'll eventually want to put into a C10 or something similar, what do I need to buy with it? I don't know much about the history of the engine, so do I need to bring it to a shop first? Perhaps a rebuild kit after?

Also, I know I'll need all of the accessories like the wire harness, alternator, starter, PS pump, and intake. Is there anything else that I'll need considering that I just have the block?

I assume it will need heads and injectors too? Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to see what a block needs.

Last edited by gmontag; 10-13-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sell it and try and make a little money then buy something complete...
Old 10-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by booboo37
Sell it and try and make a little money then buy something complete...
I appreciate the tip, but I'd rather like the question answered.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gmontag
I appreciate the tip, but I'd rather like the question answered.
Your first question is: LQ9 block....What now?

He answered your question fairly clearly.

It's difficult for us to know what you have if you yourself don't know.

Is this just a block or a short block or a long block?

It sounds like you need about everything for it which means you will spend a ton more money trying to piece it together rather then just finding a complete engine with pcm, accessories and harness.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
Your first question is: LQ9 block....What now?

He answered your question fairly clearly.

It's difficult for us to know what you have if you yourself don't know.

Is this just a block or a short block or a long block?

It sounds like you need about everything for it which means you will spend a ton more money trying to piece it together rather then just finding a complete engine with pcm, accessories and harness.
This is fair only if he didn't read the actual post. However, the post makes it clear that the answer he gave is not what I was looking for, and thus his answer was nothing short of his attempt at being a smartass and not actually answering the question.

I never mentioned money being a motivating factor. Perhaps I want to try my hand at building an engine and would like to get an idea of what exactly I'll need?

As for the block, it is assuming that I only have the block.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does it have pistons, rods and crank?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Name:  om-nom-nom-nom.gif
Views: 31
Size:  263.5 KB
Old 10-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh boy.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sierravmax
Does it have pistons, rods and crank?
Just the block.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If all you have is a block, then you're going to need EVERYTHING. Piecing together an engine is the most costly way to go about it. Like the others said, buying something complete would be the way to go, even if you only used everything off of it and put it on the LQ9. Not trying to be a smart ***, but if you've never done this before, and the fact you had to ask the question leads me to believe you haven't, you could potentially run into a lot of mismatch parts problems that will do nothing but discourage you.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Lets see

If you only have the block then you will need:

All bearings, cam, crank, rods, pistons, rings, completed heads, push rods, rockers, lifters, valve covers, valley covers, front and rear covers, cam cover, crap load on sensors, exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, complete gasket set, flex plate if you go automatic, fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate if you go standard, motor mounts, crap load of nuts and bolts, and i am sure i missed alot. By the time you purchase all this, you might as well sell your black buy a complete motor and rebuild it. you will be money ahead.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another question is why is it a bare block in the first place? Something must of happened to it. You would need to bring it to a machine shop to get them to check all the clearances and check to see if it needs to be bored and honed.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

listen guy, i went down this road about 10 years ago. I was young, ambitious, motivated and unfortunately uneducated on LS motors. I bought an LS1 short block sans heads that had spun bearings, stripped it down, bought a forged rotating assembly, sent it all out to get machined and then i started looking at what it was going to take to put the rest of the motor together. Unless you have thousands of dollars to burn, want an insanely time consuming project JUST TO BUILD THE MOTOR and want to make 1500+ hp... just stop. Not to mention you clearly don't have any idea about the technical nuances of motor building or what is required to make that engine actually work. There are many people on this forum who build ground up motors for a living and they charge tens of thousands of dollars for their motors because of the labor and engineering knowledge required to pull it off.
This is hands down the most helpful, hate free forum i've ever been a part of in my 20+ years on the internet. As a community, we are basically telling you that you're getting in way over your head. We would love to see you build a motor and be successful in your endeavors. What you are talking about literally takes years of experience to attempt with a moderate chance of success. Not to mention hundreds of hours of research, tons of labor and even more money. You will spend more money buying bolts and gaskets for your block than you will to but a complete running motor. As someone who has done this before and learned the hard way, building a bare block will nickle and dime your wallet to death. This is not hate, these are words of experience trying to save you from yourself. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SenorThumpy
You will spend more money buying bolts and gaskets for your block than you will to but a complete running motor. As someone who has done this before and learned the hard way, building a bare block will nickle and dime your wallet to death.
Words of wisdom.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

As others have said, if this is going to be your first attempt at putting a motor together, then you have a long and tedious journey ahead of you. And, it will be cheaper and easier to purchase a complete and running engine. You can see what you can get for the block to offset some of the expenses for a complete motor.

However, if you desire to build it from the block up, more power to you, and we are here to help.

What is the endgame? Besides a C10 or something similar. Street truck for daily driving, pro tour/road race, drag racing... Stating your intentions and goals will go a long ways helping us give you answers to your questions.

If you just want to complete the motor and drive it, then buy a cheap, yet complete, 5.3 and some forged six liter pistons, get it balanced, and literally take everything off or out of the 5.3 and put it in or on your lq9 block.

If you want big boy power and boost and all that fun stuff, then you should be looking for forged rotating assembly kits, maybe even a stroker kit, if you want some more displacement. Either way, should probably buy a complete 5.3 for all the accessories and any reusable tidbits.

Quick Reply: LQ9 block... what now?