Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcars68
So do you have the length of the crossmember? I like the design of it and it looks like it provides plenty of clearance. Thanks
The crossmember is 52" wide overall and the center-to-center distance between the mounting holes is 49-7/8".
Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Also in looking at the exhaust system description I can't find which mufflers it comes with. Any info? And what's the horsepower rating of them? Thanks
The mufflers are packed, straight-thru absorption type mufflers and will support the full HP potential of a 3" diameter system, which is in the 450-500HP range.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my Chevelle is only weeks away from being released from body/paint jail after nearly two years. I have already received the forward bias frame stands and I have been thinking about how to accurately have my body guy provisionally cut the new floor pan to accommodate the T56 that is going in the car. Well, we were going over progress on the car the other day and in the course of conversation he tells me that he has a LT1/T56 combo sitting in a corner of his shop for a long, really long term project. Turns out its from a 2003 or so GTO and its all complete.

My question is this: can we use this LT1/T56 combo to mock up the mounting and floor pan surgery required for the LS3/T56 that will be going in my car? It would be so much easier to have all the cutting and finishing done before final paint. What do you guys think?
Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Todd!
I do have a question about my headers, did you install spark plugs and wires during prototyping? I am having an issue with #5 cylinder in particular. Maybe I need to get different plug wires as I have the stock ones now. I will try to attach a pic that showed the clearance problem.
Thanks, Brian

Old 11-11-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rocket66
So my Chevelle is only weeks away from being released from body/paint jail after nearly two years. I have already received the forward bias frame stands and I have been thinking about how to accurately have my body guy provisionally cut the new floor pan to accommodate the T56 that is going in the car. Well, we were going over progress on the car the other day and in the course of conversation he tells me that he has a LT1/T56 combo sitting in a corner of his shop for a long, really long term project. Turns out its from a 2003 or so GTO and its all complete.

My question is this: can we use this LT1/T56 combo to mock up the mounting and floor pan surgery required for the LS3/T56 that will be going in my car? It would be so much easier to have all the cutting and finishing done before final paint. What do you guys think?
You won't be able to install the GTO starter with the Hooker headers as they are not compatible due to the clocking of the solenoid. I've never mocked up a swap using the GTO T56 so I can't verify if the rear mount is at the same exact clocking as the F-body T56 (level). If you changed out the bellhousing for a stock F-body or steel Quicktime version then you would be good to go in all regards.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the info Todd!
I do have a question about my headers, did you install spark plugs and wires during prototyping? I am having an issue with #5 cylinder in particular. Maybe I need to get different plug wires as I have the stock ones now. I will try to attach a pic that showed the clearance problem.
Thanks, Brian

Yes, I do put considerable effort into trying to provide compatibility with the stock spark plug wires and this was the first swap application I've done that it was not possible to do so. It came down to being able to provide clearance for the stock plug wires or the steering shaft and I'll bet you can guess which one won out...you'll get a better understanding of that once you install your steering shaft. I ended up using a set of angle-boot MSD wires to verify adequate wire clearance, so you'll need to use something similar.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Ok, thanks for letting me know.
Might want to let someone in marketing know as there is nothing about this in the instructions or on the purchasing site.
Do you have a part number for the wires you used?

As far as the mufflers, I am running an LSA motor that I plan on pushing the boost on. Will these mufflers hold up or does Hooker have a better option?
Thanks again for you help and information
Old 11-11-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, thanks for letting me know.
Might want to let someone in marketing know as there is nothing about this in the instructions or on the purchasing site.
Do you have a part number for the wires you used?

As far as the mufflers, I am running an LSA motor that I plan on pushing the boost on. Will these mufflers hold up or does Hooker have a better option?
Thanks again for you help and information
After I replied to your post I went and checked the instructions to see if I neglected to mention it and sure enough I did. I'm going to send an email to the person responsible for instruction edits in a few minutes. The MSD wires I used were just borrowed off an engine we had sitting around in the Engineering lab and so I don't know what the part number would be.

You can do a search for applicable part numbers on the MSD website based on whether you are using car or truck coils. The mufflers in the Hooker LS swap exhaust systems will hold up to boost without any problems.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You won't be able to install the GTO starter with the Hooker headers as they are not compatible due to the clocking of the solenoid. I've never mocked up a swap using the GTO T56 so I can't verify if the rear mount is at the same exact clocking as the F-body T56 (level). If you changed out the bellhousing for a stock F-body or steel Quicktime version then you would be good to go in all regards.
Todd,
Are you saying none of your headers will fit a GTO engine without replacing the bellhousing & starter?? Nowhere on the website or instructions say this. The Mid-length says Compatible with all LS/Vortec engine starters.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I assumed you were using the long-tubes Brad...I should have been more thorough with my answer. Yes, the mid-length headers will be compatible with the GTO starter, but not the long-tubes.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Todd,
I haven't decided which I was going to use but sound like I will need the mids. I just wanted to be sure before bought them.
Just read online that you can use a f-body starter with the gto bellhousing so maybe I can get the long tubes now.
Thanks
Brad

Last edited by brad900; 11-12-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Todd,
Thanks for all the work you have done. I am curious about a few things having done this type of swap. I have a 64 Skylark with a LS3/T56 combo and have made several different mounts to try to accomplish some of the same things you have. With the rear mount what is the distance from the cylinder head to the firewall? How is the clearance to the lower heater core nipple? What is the distance from the front portion of the sump of the pan to the crossmember. Last in this position can you still mount the truck style ac compressor?
I am currently using the 302-2 pan, Holley front drive less the a/c, and modified BRP mounts moved back about a inch. This allows me to accomplish good clearance for tie rods and fit the truck style low mount ac compressor. The one thing I like is the idea of is the 4th gen camaro mounts and bigger headers. Wish this was avliable a few years ago, but I would consider swapping if I don't have to modify to much.

Last edited by gmcgrands; 11-21-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gmcgrands
Todd,
Thanks for all the work you have done. I am curious about a few things having done this type of swap. I have a 64 Skylark with a LS3/T56 combo and have made several different mounts to try to accomplish some of the same things you have. With the rear mount what is the distance from the cylinder head to the firewall? How is the clearance to the lower heater core nipple? Last in this position can you still mount the truck style ac compressor?
I am currently using the 302-2 pan, Holley front drive, and modified BRP mounts moved back about a inch. This allows me to accomplish good clearance for tie rods and fit the truck style low mount ac compressor. The one thing I like the idea of is the 4th gen camaro mounts.
I can get you some information in the morning, but it will be relative to the stock dimensions of a SB Chevy in a Chevelle.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

OK gmcgrands, here's your info...the pictures I'm posting here are all based on the use of the Hooker forward position brackets, so you'll have to mentally subtract 1" from any fore-aft clearances seen to gauge whether installation of the Hooker rear position engine brackets would be of benefit to you.

You shouldn't have any issues regarding the truck A/C compressor clearance, but you may with the lower heater hose/nipple depending on the specific valve covers/coils you are using.

You already have the Holley 302-2 pan and accessory drive components, so you'll have no issues with those.

The two photos you see with the measuring tape show the difference in distance between the right side cylinder heads of an LS and SB Chevy engine and the firewall of a Chevelle.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks Todd that helps compare the distance to my current mounts. Is the sump of the oil pan about even with the bottom of the crossmember?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gmcgrands
Thanks Todd that helps compare the distance to my current mounts. Is the sump of the oil pan about even with the bottom of the crossmember?
Check out post #124, it shows that the bottom of the sump of the 302-2 pan resides above the bottom edge of the crossmember.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Todd,

On the Team Chevelle site you said there were plans to develop a crossmember for the convertibles. Is that still in the works? When do you expect it to be released?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

It won't happen before Springtime next year as I'm wrapped up at least until then on other projects and I've yet to find a donor car to develop it off of.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it somewhere but how do you join 3" exhaust with a header that does not have a flange? Is there a fool proof device to keep it from leaking?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by old66tiger
Maybe I missed it somewhere but how do you join 3" exhaust with a header that does not have a flange? Is there a fool proof device to keep it from leaking?
The connection is made by the use of Torca coupler clamps in many of our applications, which provides better ground clearance than 3-bolt flanges or V-band flanges. These clamps have an internal sleeve that features an interlock mechanism that prevents to formation of a leak path. The OE's have been using these on many new cars for about 10 years now.

In other applications, like the 64-67 A-body spoken about here, we use the same Torca band clamp that's used at all the other slip connections in the system.

The couplers can only be used where there is a long enough section of straight tubing coming off of the collector to allow it. The band clamps have to be used in instances where the tubing of the exhaust system bends immediately after the collector...like this exhaust system does.

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-15-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread