Sponsored by:

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brad900
Todd,
Do you have any idea about the release of the trans crossmember. I ordered last month & it said release date 10/01, then 10/15 & now not available online.
Todd - still waiting on my crossmember as well. Any word?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin_Jim
Todd - still waiting on my crossmember as well. Any word?

Thanks,
Jim
I sent out an update request to our distribution facility yesterday and will let you know what I hear from them.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Jim, the response I received stated they would have them boxed up by Monday afternoon.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks Todd. Any word on when the extensions from the mid-length headers to exhaust will be ready?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which engine mounts are those in post 87
Old 11-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by prohandze
which engine mounts are those in post 87
Looks like the forward bias engine brackets
Old 11-05-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

The brackets depicted in post #87 are merely the mock-up parts that I used to establish the critical geometry that both the forward-bias and rear-bias brackets were designed from.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Hey Todd,
Got my headers last week and they fit perfect, even with my home made motor mounts. I am considering ceramic coating the headers and wonder if there is any reason not to? Will it compromise the headers in any way? Also, along with the motor mounts hooker makes do you have any plans for trans mounts? I am installing a TR-6060 and have not found anything but the factory style mounts. As I am using poly motor mounts I would like to use a poly trans mount. Any help would be great. Thanks, Brian
Old 11-06-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bcars68
Hey Todd,
Got my headers last week and they fit perfect, even with my home made motor mounts. I am considering ceramic coating the headers and wonder if there is any reason not to? Will it compromise the headers in any way? Also, along with the motor mounts hooker makes do you have any plans for trans mounts? I am installing a TR-6060 and have not found anything but the factory style mounts. As I am using poly motor mounts I would like to use a poly trans mount. Any help would be great. Thanks, Brian
I'm glad to hear the headers worked out for you Brian. If you are wanting to coat the headers to maintain a more consistent long-term appearance, there's no reason you can't do it. You won't gain much else by doing it however, so keep that in mind. We don't offer transmission isolators, but If you want to run a poly mount with your TR6060 you can use the standard aftermarket poly GM transmission isolators by making an adapter that bolts to
your transmission.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad900
Looks like the forward bias engine brackets
I was referring to the block mounts. Trying to get the correct ones for least fittament problems. Already purchased forward biased frame mounts.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by prohandze
I was referring to the block mounts. Trying to get the correct ones for least fittament problems. Already purchased forward biased frame mounts.
The Hooker engine brackets are designed to be used with 4th-gen F-body engine mounts.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks Todd,
After I wrote the post this morning I went out to the shop and cut up the factory mount and as you suggest I modified it to use the energy suspension poly mount. Again great job on the headers! Do you know when the exhaust system will be available and do you have part numbers.
Thanks again for the great work, Brian
Old 11-07-2016, 05:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Todd,
After I wrote the post this morning I went out to the shop and cut up the factory mount and as you suggest I modified it to use the energy suspension poly mount. Again great job on the headers! Do you know when the exhaust system will be available and do you have part numbers.
Thanks again for the great work, Brian
I'll get you the exhaust system part numbers this morning when I get to work Brian...what are you using for a transmission crossmember?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Brian, the part number for the 2.5" exhaust system is 705013110RHKR and the 3" system is part number 705013111RHKR. There are 5 of the 3" systems existing in Holley's inventory, but the 2.5" systems have not been ran for the first time yet.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Hanks again Todd,
As for the crossmember, I am currently using the stock one that I have modified to work with my boxed frame. Not sure it will give me the clearance I need between the floor and exhaust pipes. The header collectors are about 3/4 of an inch from the floor pan right now. Which brings up another question, what is the best angle for the motor front to back if the chassis is level? You may have already touched on this in the thread. I would like to get the bottom of the trans level to the frame rails side to side for ground clearance but that may push the nose of the motor to low.
Thanks, Brian
Old 11-07-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Hanks again Todd,
As for the crossmember, I am currently using the stock one that I have modified to work with my boxed frame. Not sure it will give me the clearance I need between the floor and exhaust pipes. The header collectors are about 3/4 of an inch from the floor pan right now. Which brings up another question, what is the best angle for the motor front to back if the chassis is level? You may have already touched on this in the thread. I would like to get the bottom of the trans level to the frame rails side to side for ground clearance but that may push the nose of the motor to low.
Thanks, Brian
The angular relationship of your engine/trans inclination angle and your chassis is only a reference and only important as to how it relates to being able to achieve desirable U-joint working angles. Variables such as your suspension ride height and the pinion height of the particular rearend you are using greatly impact the engine/transmission inclination setting you'll have to use to get your U-joints set-up right, so don't waste your effort setting your eng/trans inclination angle until after you've gotten your chassis and suspension into their final operational configuration.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Teching In

That's what I thought about the drivetrain angle but always better to get second opinion. Looking back in the thread to post 197 you show the prototype crossmember and its mounts. It looks like the mounting brackets move the crossmember bolt points inboard of the frame. Could I fab up my own brackets to make this work with my boxed frame without cutting down the crossmember?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

That's what I thought about the drivetrain angle but always better to get second opinion. Looking back in the thread to post 197 you show the prototype crossmember and its mounts. It looks like the mounting brackets move the crossmember bolt points inboard of the frame. Could I fab up my own brackets to make this work with my boxed frame without cutting down the crossmember?
I can't say that would be possible definitively as I've never attempted it personally. Even if the crossmember is narrow enough to fit between your boxed frame rails, you'll probably need to modify the stock mounting brackets that extend inward off of your frame rails to pick up the crossmember.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Teching In

So do you have the length of the crossmember? I like the design of it and it looks like it provides plenty of clearance. Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Also in looking at the exhaust system description I can't find which mufflers it comes with. Any info? And what's the horsepower rating of them? Thanks

Quick Reply: Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread