Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 592 Likes on 470 Posts

Tod, Where can people source these Torca couple clamps?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Tod, Where can people source these Torca couple clamps?
You can buy them through the Holley website or other sources.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been accumulating my parts to swap an LS3 into my 66 Chevelle.

I've received From Holley

forward bias Motor mounts, 302-2 oil pan, valve covers and fuel rails.

The SS 1 7/8 long tube headers are supposed to ship next week?

The SS 3" exhaust is still Processing?

Today I received my crossmember, solid piece.

I must mention though, the packaging was not that great on the crossmember. Having three heavy metal pieces put in a box with minimal packaging material lead to the pieces moving around and tearing the bag containing the hardware and damaging the box. I ended up missing 4 of the 3/8 nuts and although they weren't listed on the parts list there were only two 7/16 washers.

I am really happy with the quality of the components I'm getting from Holley. If my swap lives up to that same quality I should have a sweet ride.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

I had the same issue with my crossmember, but worse. The only things in my package were the driver's side brace and the actual crossmember. It was missing the hardware bag as well as one side brace. A call to Holley and they sent replacements. Good customer service. I am waiting for the extensions of the mid-length headers to the exhaust to be manufactured so I can order. I need mid length as my car has airbags and gets too low for long tubes.

Originally Posted by Senna
I've been accumulating my parts to swap an LS3 into my 66 Chevelle.

I've received From Holley

forward bias Motor mounts, 302-2 oil pan, valve covers and fuel rails.

The SS 1 7/8 long tube headers are supposed to ship next week?

The SS 3" exhaust is still Processing?

Today I received my crossmember, solid piece.

I must mention though, the packaging was not that great on the crossmember. Having three heavy metal pieces put in a box with minimal packaging material lead to the pieces moving around and tearing the bag containing the hardware and damaging the box. I ended up missing 4 of the 3/8 nuts and although they weren't listed on the parts list there were only two 7/16 washers.

I am really happy with the quality of the components I'm getting from Holley. If my swap lives up to that same quality I should have a sweet ride.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Austin_Jim
I had the same issue with my crossmember, but worse. The only things in my package were the driver's side brace and the actual crossmember. It was missing the hardware bag as well as one side brace. A call to Holley and they sent replacements. Good customer service. I am waiting for the extensions of the mid-length headers to the exhaust to be manufactured so I can order. I need mid length as my car has airbags and gets too low for long tubes.
Man, a little bubble wrap could solve these issues.

Did you get the exhaust system from Holley also? if so have you actually received it?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate you guys sharing your feedback of the packaging of your crossmembers and will be relaying your experiences to the appropriate product manager to review the packaging requirements.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I appreciate you guys sharing your feedback of the packaging of your crossmembers and will be relaying your experiences to the appropriate product manager to review the packaging requirements.

Thanks Todd
Old 01-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

Man, a little bubble wrap could solve these issues.

Did you get the exhaust system from Holley also? if so have you actually received it?
I did not order the exhaust yet. Just ordered the parts to get the motor and tranny in. I am FAR from getting to the exhaust point.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Austin_Jim
I did not order the exhaust yet. Just ordered the parts to get the motor and tranny in. I am FAR from getting to the exhaust point.
I'm a ways off also, my car is still in one piece. I'm real close to assembling the engine.

I figured the parts were going to take a while once ordered and they had 20% off last month, I ordered a bunch of stuff I needed.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I contacted Holley yesterday about the missing hardware. The gentleman I spoke with couldn't have been more helpful, we went over all the parts and even came up with a few pieces I didn't even realize were missing.

Unfortunately, he called me back latter to inform me that he contacted the warehouse and the parts were not available, and wouldn't be for the foreseeable future. He suggested I could return the whole crossmember in exchange for another one, I can't see how that would be any better.

Disappointing to say the least. Most of it just hardware store nuts and bolts, but that is not the point. I paid for the quality of the Holley kit.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I contacted Holley yesterday about the missing hardware. The gentleman I spoke with couldn't have been more helpful, we went over all the parts and even came up with a few pieces I didn't even realize were missing.

Unfortunately, he called me back latter to inform me that he contacted the warehouse and the parts were not available, and wouldn't be for the foreseeable future. He suggested I could return the whole crossmember in exchange for another one, I can't see how that would be any better.

Disappointing to say the least. Most of it just hardware store nuts and bolts, but that is not the point. I paid for the quality of the Holley kit.
Senna, send me a PM with the parts you are missing and I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if this has been asked , did not read the whole 12 pages but , I think 64s are different , than 65 thru 67 , as in a larger front crossmember , I know mine required major surgery for the rear of the crossmember
Old 01-06-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ijimmy
Not sure if this has been asked , did not read the whole 12 pages but , I think 64s are different , than 65 thru 67 , as in a larger front crossmember , I know mine required major surgery for the rear of the crossmember
The geometric differences in the 64 frames have no affect on the fitment of the Hooker components that I'm aware of. What engine mounts and oil pan did you use in your project?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Todd I did mine 5 years ago so it was a gm musclecar pan , you guys have made it alot easier with 302-2 , and trailblaser ss manifolds , and the like , I know many manufactures list 65-67 chevelles because of the uniqueness of the 64s , do you know of any customers that have done a "trouble free" install with you system in a 64
Old 01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd I did mine 5 years ago so it was a gm musclecar pan , you guys have made it alot easier with 302-2 , and trailblaser ss manifolds , and the like , I know many manufactures list 65-67 chevelles because of the uniqueness of the 64s , do you know of any customers that have done a "trouble free" install with you system in a 64
No, I'm not aware of anyone who has used the parts specifically on a 64 frame, so we'll just have to wait and see if any point of conflict pops up.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think the differences are? I've been running a 1964 El Camino frame under my 1965 body for years. First a 396/4-speed, then a 454/4-speed changing to a Richmond 5-speed and then a 454/Richmond 6-speed all of which had an OEM GM Chevelle BBC oil pan which had plenty of clearance with respect to the crossmember. Currently I have done a body off update to a Dart Aluminum EFI 565/gForce T56 with no fitment issues related to the frame. I don't imagine there should be any problem with the Hooker LS conversion.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I can relay the same on the packaging of the crossmember. Thankfully, our small parts bag didn't fall out until it was in the shop. We did order the engine brackets at the same time during the end of year sale. At the time they were listed as estimated ship date of 1/8/17. I see now that the store lists preorder ship date of 2/10/17. I can understand these are made in batches, and weather here in eastern Oregon has shut down the freeway for days at a time from December through January, but I am getting close to wanting to install the engine. Was there a higher than expected demand for the production run?
Old 01-27-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 54Hydro
I can relay the same on the packaging of the crossmember. Thankfully, our small parts bag didn't fall out until it was in the shop. We did order the engine brackets at the same time during the end of year sale. At the time they were listed as estimated ship date of 1/8/17. I see now that the store lists preorder ship date of 2/10/17. I can understand these are made in batches, and weather here in eastern Oregon has shut down the freeway for days at a time from December through January, but I am getting close to wanting to install the engine. Was there a higher than expected demand for the production run?
I can empathize with your frustration regarding the wait time. To be honest, I don't have any connection to the sales process at Holley and can't provide any insight without sending out a few emails to others.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Tod what driveline angles were you able to achieve with the manual trans , i aware of the amount of fabrication , but how close was driveshaft to the tunnel
Old 01-28-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jthomp1256
Tod what driveline angles were you able to achieve with the manual trans , i aware of the amount of fabrication , but how close was driveshaft to the tunnel
The driveline geometry obtained by the Hooker mounting components is the same for all transmissions. I obtained 2 degree U-joint operating angles on the 65 Lemans I had in the shop that was lowered 1" all around...I used a 1350 yoke on a 3" diameter shaft to do the mock-up and the shaft/yoke were probably 5/8" from the tunnel.

Quick Reply: Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread