Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion?

I've been searching around but can't quite find the answer to some of my questions...

I picked up an '04 6.0L and the problem is its drive by wire.. I want to elminate this, SO..
Can i purchase an aftermarket BBK throttle body, then get the IAC and TPS sensor and bolt it on to the throttle body.. (or get an earlier pre 03 style TB?)
Then get my harness modified and the ecm reprogrammed for my application with the cable operated throttle body? And will everything be good?

Am i missing anything?

Thanks!

Also, what activates the VATS system? I know on my TPI system it was like one of 12 resistors built into the key, and if its the wrong one it won't run..
What controls the VATS on this 6.0?
I pulled the motor, ECM, wiring harness, just not the ignition switch and stuff in the steering column. What will it take to fool the computer into thinking its still in the same vehicle? I will have to get the ecm reprogrammed?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ryan, welcome over. I am not sure about the drive by wire, i have seen some reference in some aftermarket harness that has the drive by wire provision, I am not sure about the differences...
I think the VATTS is tied to a seperate "body" box so I believe you will need to get it reprogramed something about vins matching? I had Nelson Performance do my reprograming he could have done just a "conversion" tune that takes out the rear O2 sensors the VAtts and all the egr crap and other unnecessary things that will make your check engine light come on or for a few bucks (hundreds) more he did a performance tune and boy what a difference you will diffenatly want to go this route the 5.3 really screams now.
Good luck with you project
Dave
oh I hope somebody will chime in on the drive by wire.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply dave.

I've seen a few harnesses offered with the pedal assembly so you can keep the fly by wire.. BUT The engine i got was involved in a front collision and the side cover of the throttle body got cracked and broken.. So i'm going to be getting a new throttle body one way or another... So I'd just prefer to have it a cable operated throttle body!
Thats why i'm curious if everything will be cool if i just bolt on an earlier style throttle body and have the computer programmed to match.

Will i need the old VIN off the donor vehicle to have my computer reprogrammed or is that not a big deal if i'm getting it flashed?

I plan on having a performance tune and all smog stuff eliminated since this will be going in my smog exempt rock crawler.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No on the VIN, my tuner just used one he had access to. I would also want the cable. On stock the drive by wire will actually close the throttle body when it thinks it should like an abuse mode or a speed thing again these can be retuned but it is just crazy. I looked for a 6.0 when I got my 5.3 but didnt find one at the time.
Where are you located?
I am in Missouri.
Dave
Old 07-26-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

VATS: Search eBay for the Baker Electronics VATS bypass box. This is what I used before I got HPTuners and removed VATS altogether. Or, you could build your own. Instructions are somewhere here in this forum.

Fly-by-wire: I'd ask Speartech. He seems to know everything about the wiring on these swaps.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

I'm using an F-Body TB on a Vette motor. I bought a Camaro harness and had the ECM tuned accordingly. You want to tune the ECM for performance anyway, might as well have the VATS removed then. I went through user: Wait4me on this forum. Your harneness can be modified to run a cable TB (still requires a tune). I don't have the specifics on the differences, but someone here (or in the PCM section) will. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys.
I talked to a couple different people today.
Looks like i just have to find an earlier style throttle body for a throttle cable, and get the computer reprogrammed for that.. and i should be good. Also have my harness modified for cable throttle body instead of drive by wire.
I'm either gonna have to find a junkyard TB thats complete, or get a bare throttle body and order an IAC motor and TPS sensor.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I would go find a good used TB with at least the IAC. Replacement IACs are about 80 bucks!

Andrew
Old 07-27-2005, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my TB in the For Sale section of this forum. I think it was under $50 and it works fine.

-Matt
Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Default Drive by Wire

Sorry to bother you LS1 guys, hopefully you wont mind too much, this is the only place I can find anything about the drive by wire concept on these GM engines. I just bought an 04' 5.3 Vortech and I'm putting it in my 99 and I was wondering if there is some way that I can keep the drive by wire. I have the harness and computer, do I need to go get the pedal assembly from a new truck as well, or is there some other way I can make this happen. Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith

Quick Reply: Drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion?