Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to mount aftermarket electric fan to radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default how to mount aftermarket electric fan to radiator?

this is what im working with

any thoughts?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends how fancy you want to get. I would ditch the fan shroud since it will not really have any effect after the electric fan is mounted. You could make 4 individual brackets to connect the fan to where the shroud used to bolt on. Or if you wanted to do it a little easier you could probably get away with the zip-tie style mounts. The make these plastic ties to mount electric fans and trans coolers to radiators. Not quite as fancy, but they are fast and cheap. I believe jegs sell s them and so does a lot of the better autoparts stores, not sure about the chains.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G-Body
It depends how fancy you want to get. I would ditch the fan shroud since it will not really have any effect after the electric fan is mounted. You could make 4 individual brackets to connect the fan to where the shroud used to bolt on. Or if you wanted to do it a little easier you could probably get away with the zip-tie style mounts. The make these plastic ties to mount electric fans and trans coolers to radiators. Not quite as fancy, but they are fast and cheap. I believe jegs sell s them and so does a lot of the better autoparts stores, not sure about the chains.

ya i was thinking the zip ties that they use for trans coolers, but i didnt know if they would be strong enough
Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just checked out flex-a-lites site and they said that for offroad use they do not recommend mounting with the through core plastic mounts.

Permacool makes a universal bracket set to mount electric fans. I would just make my own brackets though, it is not too difficult, that is what I did for my swap.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My radiator guy strong advises against the zip ties through the core mounts. He said they will wear on the radiator and can cause it to leak/fail. Here is a link to the bracket we made for my fan. Very simple and effective

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=

Entry #46

Pat
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spal makes a bracket piece that I used and it looks as though it might woirk for yours as well. The part number is a 30130011. You'll use four of them. I get em here locally at one of the race shops, all total it was about $15.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

just to let yall know i mounted my fan like this

Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

well abunch of people flammed me on the jeepforum about me taking off the fan shroud so i put it back on and trimmed down the brackets

Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
well abunch of people flammed me on the jeepforum about me taking off the fan shroud so i put it back on and trimmed down the brackets
If you really want the fan shroud to work you'll need to have it go all the way around the spots on the radiator where the fan isn't. You then should put little rubber flaps/doors on it so that when the fan isn't running the air can flow through the rest of the radiator but when the fan turns on they flap towards the front and allow the fans to pull the air through the radiator.

This is sort of what I'm talking about.

I used the piece that I made that goes over the top to mount the top of the fans and also hold the radiator down and then I created a piece along the bottom so that I could bolt the fans in and not put any stress on the radiator core. Haven't taken any pictures of that part yet though.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ted J
If you really want the fan shroud to work you'll need to have it go all the way around the spots on the radiator where the fan isn't. You then should put little rubber flaps/doors on it so that when the fan isn't running the air can flow through the rest of the radiator but when the fan turns on they flap towards the front and allow the fans to pull the air through the radiator.

This is sort of what I'm talking about.

I used the piece that I made that goes over the top to mount the top of the fans and also hold the radiator down and then I created a piece along the bottom so that I could bolt the fans in and not put any stress on the radiator core. Haven't taken any pictures of that part yet though.
what brand is that? any thoughts on if the single fan is more effective than the two smaller stock units? How about upgrading the stock motors?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ

I can't see why your Jeep buddies would want you to put that shroud back on so bad, it is hardly doing anything because of the size of your fan. the fan is alittle small for the shroud, it looks like to me. Either way though you will be fine, it's just up to how you want it to look.

what brand is that? any thoughts on if the single fan is more effective than the two smaller stock units? How about upgrading the stock motors?

It's all about CFM.

ChrisP
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White_LightningZ
Here's what I posted up in my thread about them so I'm just copying it over:

Here is the fans and shroud that I got: (I've heard very good things about SPAL fans and this Be Cool setup has SPAL fans in it so I'm hoping it will keep the car cool when sliding around some parking lots and autocrossing it )

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Those SPAL fans really pull the air through and I'm VERY happy with them. On high they sound like an airplane trying to take off. My brother wired them up for me and he wired them like GM did so on the low fan speed they are running in series and are at around a 1/4 speed and then when the second fans are turned on my the computer they are both on high. At the 1/4 speed setting they cool the car down very quickly and if the hood is open a rush of heat starts coming off the radiator if you are standing close by.

I think the biggest thing with cooling the radiator is getting a good fan. I've heard SPAL's are used in like Lambo's and other high end cars like that. It seems as though they maybe rate theirs numbers flowing through a radiator for I've heard some people say that some fans don't do as good but the ratings on them are still high so I dunno. I also think have a good shroud around the fans makes a difference as well in so far as making it so the fans are able to pull air through it well. You'll notice that I have rubber flaps on the shroud for I wanted that so when I'm moving and the fans aren't on the air can go through but when the fans turn on they will close up and allow the fans to pull more air through the radiator.

In regards to two fans vs. one, there's two reasons I went with two fans. I got more surface of the radiator covered with two fans so that should help it cool better. I will be drifting and the such with the car with is mostly at lower speeds so I wanted fans that would be able to cool the motor. The worst case would be doing a rolling burnout close to redline for a while and barely moving and these fans should keep things cool. I also wanted two fans for then we could wire them up like the factory did and have two speeds. If the radiator was taller and I found a fan shroud that was the right size for the radiator and could have had it cover around the same surface area of the radiator I would have maybe went with that but since my radiator isn't the high as it is wide this worked out best. Plus, when I was at summit racing and bought them I got to see they pretty much fit over the Howe racing radiator that I'm using pretty good considering they are made by two different manf. and that worked out really nicely for me.

In regards to upgrading the stock motors... do you mean upgrade the stock motors in the car you are swapping the LS1 into? If so, don't know on that one.

Last edited by Ted J; 06-04-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Teching In

TXjeepTJ,

Have you been able to test that radiator with your set-up yet? Looks like the stock TJ radiator with the glued on plastic ends. Mine leaked with the stock 4.0L. Just curious as to how well it cools your new engine. Rick
Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98TJ
TXjeepTJ,

Have you been able to test that radiator with your set-up yet? Looks like the stock TJ radiator with the glued on plastic ends. Mine leaked with the stock 4.0L. Just curious as to how well it cools your new engine. Rick

Yeah, many with 4.0L based strokers complain of cooling issues using stock radiators. Those stock systems are not designed for over 250 hp. Even with an aluminum radiator, I had issue with cooling due to improper air flow, especially on the trail. After trying three different aftermarket fans, I ended up using Taurus fan. What an awsome fan. I think you will be hard pressed to find a better fan than spal units, but at a fraction of the cost the Taurus fans will provide the same CFM's. You will have to trim the shroud around the Taurus unit but you'll get a good fit.

I will be supprised if a stock cooling system can handle a LSX motor.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Scott
Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I snapped a photo last night of how I ended up mounting my fans. I used the piece on top that I'm using to hold the radiator down as the top mount on the fans and then on the bottom I welded tabs onto a piece of 3/4" square tubing so that it would bolt to the fan shroud and then I welded some tabs on so I could bolt that square tubing to the car. Ended up holding the fans in place very nicely:

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The best bang for the buck fan on the market, if you can fit it, is the Lincoln Mark VIII. There's mounting info on my website.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TJ
TXjeepTJ,

ive ran it in my garage with the hood open and none of the fenders on, it ran at 210 and stayed there. i dont know if it will survive with the hood closed and fenders on

Quick Reply: how to mount aftermarket electric fan to radiator?