Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softer mounts for 240 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer mounts for 240 swap

Do you guys think putting a very small bushing between where the cross member bolts up to the frame would be a good idea to take out some of the vibration of the motor? I'm using the universal mounts that have a very thin layer of polyurethane and was trying to figure a way to absorb a little bit more of vibration. Any other ideas you guys have had with this?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

NO! Suspension geometry is critical there.

Why not just get softer engine mounts?

I made my mounts fairly modular, so If I cut off 2-3" of the tubing I can bolt a factory mount to it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

matt is right, just build your mount around a generic chevy or a 240sx one, it wont be hard
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well one reason is I spent 90 dollars on mounts. I'm not as pleased with them as I thought I wuold but I wuold like to use them. I'd like to just make the vibration a little less in other places to still be able to use the ones I just bought.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

some pictures might help. It is possible you could just shorten them and add a beefier/softer mount.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using Corvette motor mount donuts on custom mounts. They're hydro-elastic and look to provide good dampening (car isn't done yet, so can't tell you about isolation). Urethane mounts are pretty hard, so I wanted to avoid them.

Andy1
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to use this mount.

http://www.carshopinc.com/images/new...%20(Small).jpg

But after talkign to someone who used it I really think it could of been made better and still stayed the same price. Although I think I thought of a way to adapat it still use all it came with and the stock f-body mounts that came with my block.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

this mine, so much more simple ( i plan on more reinforcing before i drive it).

All i'd need to do is shorten it up about 2" and toss a factory S13/14 mount in there.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XofXtimeX
I'm using the universal mounts that have a very thin layer of polyurethane and was trying to figure a way to absorb a little bit more of vibration.
Hes trying to get rid of the vibration, not make a solid mount. Get a SBC mount and adapter plates and make new mounts.

DO NOT add bushings to the crossmember. Your suspension stiffness and geometry is critical. You dont want to turn and have the x-member shift on you.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
Hes trying to get rid of the vibration, not make a solid mount. Get a SBC mount and adapter plates and make new mounts.

DO NOT add bushings to the crossmember. Your suspension stiffness and geometry is critical. You dont want to turn and have the x-member shift on you.
Yeah I figured out somthing else. I'm going to use the stock f-body mount and have it bolt up to a solid piece of metal connected to the cross member. I might also put a hockey puck inbetween the solid piece and the cross member, I've read some people use hockey pucks on there KA when they turbo it and want a cheap and easy way to stiffin the engine. The hockey puck usually is just the right size to have the engine sit very nicely still.

Quick Reply: Softer mounts for 240 swap