Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 into New Edge '04 Mustang.....how hard is this ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 into New Edge '04 Mustang.....how hard is this ??

I have a complete motor/tranny from an '01 Silverado (I also have the truck as a parts donor, it was rolled), how hard is it REALLY to swap an LSx/4L60e into a New Edge Mustang ??

I would love to see if I could make the swap work with the Ford electronics and a PCM retune....I know this is akin to asking for miracles but I do wonder if it's possible
Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy an older fox body or sn95 and have fun. Dont cut up a new car unless you just have money to burn. Plan on the swap costing you between 3500-5000K when it is completed. IMHO been there and done that several times.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have to ask, you're probably not ready to find out

That said, I believe AJE makes a K-member
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

I know it's not an "easy" swap, but I've done enough LSx swaps now that the mechanical end of things isn't my worry....it's just a motor in a car, my concern is with the electronics....I'd like to keep the Ford dash and as much of the wiring as possible.

What I need to know are things like sensor voltage ranges and such that will hopefully enable me to adapt or source sensors that will connect to the LSx motor and speak to the Ford electronics (I run a shop that deals with complicated automotive electronics daily so this isn't completely foreign to me), I also need to see a sensor listing between the two motors to see if there is going to be a HUGE type descrepency between the two (I imagine all the "normal" ones are common...cam, crank, ECT, etc...).

My ideal end result would be completely controlling the LSx with the Ford PCM and using a stand alone controller for the 4L60e. I'm in the process of completely rewiring a show car now and it's absolutly no fun, I'd rather not have to completely rewire a Mustang too....

Last edited by Yelo; 09-20-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

The sensors themselves can all be pretty easily swapped out with Ford pieces, with two exceptions I can think of -- cam and crank sensor. What pattern is the Ford ecm expecting? If nothing else, you could have wheels custom machined.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:55 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting idea. Brains is right; the only ones I would be worried about are the crank and cam sensors and it should be easy to figure out if they will work, especially for someone who works with complicated automotive electronics every day.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

The LSx cam "reluctor" only has two "teeth" right ??...I'll have to look into the Ford cam sensor setup, as for the crank...I can even use an external reluctor wheel from MSD if I have to to solve that issue (or mount a Ford reluctor externally on the front pulley....that should look interesting)
Old 09-22-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah, the cam sensor transitions high-low and back once per cam revolution. I've seen people mount the Ford reluctor before, to run EDIS with a MegaSquirt.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:15 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yelo
The LSx cam "reluctor" only has two "teeth" right ??...I'll have to look into the Ford cam sensor setup, as for the crank...I can even use an external reluctor wheel from MSD if I have to to solve that issue (or mount a Ford reluctor externally on the front pulley....that should look interesting)

It depends on the electronic control system you are working with.

The LS1 has the reluctor (a 1x) on the back of the cam and the cam sensor on the top of the block at the back.

The early LS2 has the cam gear acting as the reluctor (a 1x) and the sensor on the front cover (this is what you need if you are converting from a LS1 to a LS2).

The later LS2s and other LSxs have the cam gear acting as a reclutor (a 4x) and sensor on the front cover and CAN NOT be used with earlier electronics.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brains
yeah, the cam sensor transitions high-low and back once per cam revolution. I've seen people mount the Ford reluctor before, to run EDIS with a MegaSquirt.
Which reluctor ??....the cam or crank ?? How was it mounted ??
Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

crank -- they drilled and tapped an aftermarket balancer and just bolted it on with some spacers.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

While I'm not sure this will be the easiest swap I've ever done I'm almost certain now that it IS possible to do while retaining all of the Ford wiring and engine controls....boy, talk about a mutant Mustang huh ??

Quick Reply: 5.3 into New Edge '04 Mustang.....how hard is this ??