Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 efi 2 carb swap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ls1 efi 2 carb swap!

Anybody converted they're ls1 from ehi to carb? What all does the swap call for as far as needed parts and sensors that can be discarded from the engine. I'm looking to put a carb 98' f-body ls1 into my 80' Caprice and I do not have the patience for the fuel injections headaches. I also have the 4l60e trans that came with the motor and I would likw to use it if there is an aftermarket trans controller that will also get the job done with minimal mods required. Any and all replies are welcomed and appreiated as I don't have a clue as to where to start.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The aftermarket tranny controller is going to cost you $1200. It wouldn't be very smart to get rid of the pcm that will control the tranny just to create a bigger headache with an aftermarket controller. Keep the injection. You will be much better off.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to do away with the computer completely this is what you have to do. Call Summit Racing or Pace Performance and tell them what you are doing. You will need the GM Timing Cover and gear for a front mount distributor, then you will need a Ford 302 Distributor from MSD or whichever brand you want, then call WEGNER MOTORSPORTS and get the water pump spacers and bolts. I would suggest using a Mezeire electric water pump with this setup so you don't have to worry about the belts lining up. Then of course you will need a new intake which I would recommend the GMPP carb intake and a carb. Probably a 750 or so.

To fix the tranny issue just buy a shift kit and a manual valve body for a 4l60e and there you go. You will just have to shift it manually but you still have a overdrive auto.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'm confused here. I would like to utilize all the components that are on the ls1 except for the efi. I was under the assumption that the computer only controlled the efi and the trans. Ford distr and water pump spacers are a bit more of a headache than using the oe equip.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Launching!

just keep the fuel injection its not that hard and u will be much happier in the long run
Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

edelbrock intake, holley carb, MSD igniton, done with the engine. the tranny would be as above with the manual setup.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edelbrock intake, holley carb, MSD igniton, done with the engine.
sell the 4l60 for a 700r4 if you dont want to get a tranny controller.

deuce4935, i am in the middle of a carb swap. take some advise from people who are doing carb swaps!

get the edelbrock intake, it uses the OEM rubber port seals. the GM intake uses a full length gasket like an older small block.

the ignition for the msd is simple. 12v supply, ground, tach signal, and plug in the cam sensor, crank sensor, and coils. done! you can set your own timing limits with the msd box if you have a lap top, or use one of the 6 pre-set timing pills.

all you need is an electric fuel pump and away you go! i really dont know why people still try to push the front mount dist setup

here is some inspiration! my engine

thats a wegner valley tray. im using that and a 90* pcv fitting in the passenger side valve cover.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Launching!

if u do the 700r4 u will need a differnt flywhell and tourque converter hub bushing u can get them from huges transmissions
Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

What a waste.......
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That is one heck of a cool looking lift plate, where did you get that?
If you need help with figuring out the conversion feel free to give us a call....
Old 12-17-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 417 Motorsports
What a waste.......
are you taking over for QPress ??
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Will the Z06 style heads work with the edelbrock intake?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DCx
all you need is an electric fuel pump and away you go! i really dont know why people still try to push the front mount dist setup
Because a lot of people don't want to run any electronics at all.. Doing away with all the sensors, coil packs, wiring, etc looks a lot cleaner under the hood and that leaves fewer things to go bad. And why not run the front mount distributor? Its easy as hell to use and it makes a street rod so much easier to work with.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one heck of a cool looking lift plate, where did you get that?
If you need help with figuring out the conversion feel free to give us a call....
yep thats a carshop lift place and engine plates. the engine plates are the best. i had some transdapt ones that looked exactly the same. but the bolt holes were off just enough to **** me off.

Doing away with all the sensors, coil packs, wiring, etc looks a lot cleaner under the hood and that leaves fewer things to go bad.
its costly. the ATI balancer required and the crank shaft extension alone is more than the dist cover. if you buy a msd dist and a fuel pump the swap will cost around $1500

msd box and victor is just the cheapest at $600. hell i would love to have a mechanical fuel pump! i was dreaming of making some brackets and mounting a belt driven aeromotive fuel pump off of the crank pulley in place of the AC stuff. that would be cool.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Launching!

All you need is an edelbrock 6010 ls box , use it to run the factory coils and hook it to the cam, crank, and map sensors. then an edelbrock victor jr or dual plane i reccomend the victor jr., as far as the tranny goes sell it and buy a 700r4you will spend a hell of alot more buyin a controller for the 60e as far as the converter and flywheel goes you just need a truck flywheel "they have dual bolt patt. on most 6.0s i know" the converter is also no fregan problem , any converter shop can do a weld on pilot ext. Like DCX said take it from people who have done it!!! the front drive dis. **** is wayyyy over priced !!!, Heck you can buy a ls motor and jet it runnin the way were tellin you for what the front drive and all the stuff to go with it cost!!! BTW. i have a carbed 6.0 done this way with a glide and 9.5" converter behind it and it runs like Hell!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Has anyone used the XIM controller that F.A.S.T offers? It looks like it would work well with a carb setup since all it controls is the spark using the cam and crank sensors to control the factory coils. There seems to be a lot of problems lately with the MSD boxes, so I was wondering if this would be a better alternative? Also, Wegner offers a spark controller that uses the larger coils packs similar to the late model Grand Prixs that use the DIS system.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Launching!

What kind of problems have the MSD had or having... mine has worked great??? I do like the fast box , just a lil more$$$
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Would using the truck flywheel for the 700-r4 also require the use of the trucks starter? I'm not sure if the starters are the same for the cars and trucks. Remember how the gen1 motors had 153 and 162 tooth flywheels and the starters had to be matched to the flywheel.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i think the truck flywheel is flat, and has a spacer bet. the crank and flywheel (if it had a 4l80e trans/also turbo 400) the flywheel that was used for the 4l60e did not use a spacer, and had a diff shape-my guess is this same setup would work for a 7004r
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The starters are the same, the truck has a flat flexplate and the spacer behind it places the flexplate in the correct location. The f body uses a dished plate and requires no spacer. You can make the converter work in a few different configurations, I have seen the F-body flexplate used and the Truck spacer installed on the converter side with the longer bolts to support the converter snout. With this method you will still need to elongate the bolt holes in the flexplate. You can also order a converter with a extended snout to work with the F-body flexplate but will still need to elongate the bolt holes in most applications. Or last of all, you find a 6.0 truck plate with spacer and you can use your stock non ls converter with little to no effort.

Quick Reply: ls1 efi 2 carb swap!