Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 camaro edelbrock headers bung location?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 70 camaro edelbrock headers bung location?

well i did the ls1 swap in my 70 rs camaro..i bought the edelbrock headers for it #65073, they do not come with o2bungs you have to get them welded in and i was wondering where i should put these...the headers comes with a coating on it and i really hate having to grind some of the coating off possibly causing them to rust in the future...has anyone installed these headers if so where did you put your bungs at thanks a lot..
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put it right after the collector in the pipe
Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had asked this same question to the Edelbrock tech LS1Tech Id.. but didn't get any real answer.

I ended up having them welded into the collector Flanged extension and was able to then rotate them to the correct angle before it was welded up. I had them pointed inwards and level with the ground.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats not a bad idea i thought about doing that i just wasnt for sure if there was enough room because off bolts and what not...
Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

That's were I plan on welding mine. I believe the headers are made of stainless and then ceramic coated so I don't think they will rust but I can't weld stainless. I would think steel bungs in the exhaust pipe would work fine.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

They should just weld them in from the factory and include plugs if you don't plan on using them. Oh well, they look real nice so I thinks it's worth the minor extra effort
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah they are nice but i agree with you i mean if your gonna pay $600 for the headers i feel they should put the bungs in it...
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe the reasoning for not welding them from the factory is so that there is flexible fitment for different transmission and exhaust setups, so you can position them where they best fit on your application.

However since the headers are model-specific ('70-7? Camaro) it would make sense if they just welded them into a position which would fit fine for the vast majority of Camaro setups out there..
Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also.. they stated that the option to use a Carb would not need the use of an O2... But they did a great job of fitting them in my Chevelle and do look great ! didn't have any areas that came into contact wtih anything.. was abit close to the bell housing around the starter.. I also made some brackets to hold the harness in place and away from the headers. Use some CoolTec to wrap the harness also.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im not bitching or anything..im extemely happy with the headers,they look great..
Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Install the bung(s) so the o2 sensor is pointed downward just a little. So any water that condensates on the sensor inside the exhaust system will drip off the end and not work its way into the porous part of the sensor. Installing them just after the collector will keep them hot as narrowbands need to be at least 600 degrees F to work right.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frojoe
I believe the reasoning for not welding them from the factory is so that there is flexible fitment for different transmission and exhaust setups, so you can position them where they best fit on your application.

However since the headers are model-specific ('70-7? Camaro) it would make sense if they just welded them into a position which would fit fine for the vast majority of Camaro setups out there..
That makes sense because they are made to fit in A-body and F-body cars. Maybe others too... not sure.

When you think about it, 600 bucks isn't bad at all for a set of stainless, ceramic coated, long tube swap headers. It only cost a little bit more than using plain steel, ceramic coated pacesetters that have to be cut up and reworked to fit.

Plus I like the finish on the Edelbrocks. Not too flashy.

Quick Reply: 70 camaro edelbrock headers bung location?