Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO Full swap, VATs deleted car still won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 GTO Full swap, VATs deleted car still won't crank

Need someone with more knowledge on this topic to bail me out here.. I did a full LS1 2004 GTO swap (dash, PCM, BCM, PIM, Dash, gauges..etc) in my 69 Chevelle. Most parts came from different donor cars, I'm sure if everything came from the same car this wouldn't be a issue. VATs was deleted by a tuner how ever there's still a security light blinking in the gauges so the car won't even turn over. I've tried the 10 minute key in "on" position 3 times. No luck there. Any help would be great thanks.
Here's some pages I've looked at and tried:
http://www.gtoforum.com/f3/key-fob-transmitter-programming-18209/

Post#4 w/out tec2
http://www.gtoforum.com/f37/need-help-put-new-motor-30291/

Vats bypass box:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567630
Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Couple of observations.... 1, if you did a full on swap, you shouldn't have deleted VATS... all the rest of the systems that talk to VATS should be in the rest of the stuff you swapped.

2. based on the GM info you linked in that other thread, you have to have the Tech2 to program things together. You'll have to either find a shop with a Tech2 or go find another donor car to pull all of the items from one car (including keys)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

As long as you didn't make the engine harness stand alone and remove wire that communicate pcm to bcm, then just do as directed above with the tech2. Otherwise you will need another harness or pin the wires back in. Programming them together will be a lot easier than finding matching pcm, bcm, and ignition cylinder with keys.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
Need someone with more knowledge on this topic to bail me out here.. I did a full LS1 2004 GTO swap (dash, PCM, BCM, PIM, Dash, gauges..etc) in my 69 Chevelle. Most parts came from different donor cars, I'm sure if everything came from the same car this wouldn't be a issue. VATs was deleted by a tuner how ever there's still a security light blinking in the gauges so the car won't even turn over. I've tried the 10 minute key in "on" position 3 times. No luck there. Any help would be great thanks.
Here's some pages I've looked at and tried:
http://www.gtoforum.com/f3/key-fob-t...ramming-18209/

Post#4 w/out tec2
http://www.gtoforum.com/f37/need-hel...w-motor-30291/

Vats bypass box:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/567630-homemade-vats-bypass-box.html
Yes, all of these items are security coded, The BCM has a 6 digit code that links it to the PIM and the PIM has a 4 digit code that connects it to the ECU. All of which need to be linked to start the car. Otherwise, just the PIM and BCM linked will work, you will just get an annoying "Service Vehicle Soon" message on the stock gto cluster with VATS disabled.

Although.... You should still be able to start the car without any modules being linked....possibly. You just wont have AC/ cruise control. You do how ever need to do a "full write/ flash" to the ECU with both VATS 1 & 2 disabled on HP Tuners for instance.

As well, the Keys come hard coded with a "code" and it is learned by the BCM doing the 30-10-30-10-30 sequence. You cannot re-use keys, so you must have keys that match the BCM (same donor vehicle)or buy new ones and program them.

Here is the tricky part. You can't get the codes from the dealerships typically because you need the VIN # and proof of current ownership and insurance. There is a tool on ls1gto.com that was built which can extract the data. I have used it and it works. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565017

Once you get the codes, you need a tech2 to link them all. I am sure all of the data even for the modules and keys and radio are stored on the BCM and PIM in those chips. Its just a matter of finding out where it is stored and how it can be changed. It would be awesome if we didn't need to get the stealership involved with changing stuff around.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ToastyZ71
Couple of observations.... 1, if you did a full on swap, you shouldn't have deleted VATS... all the rest of the systems that talk to VATS should be in the rest of the stuff you swapped.

2. based on the GM info you linked in that other thread, you have to have the Tech2 to program things together. You'll have to either find a shop with a Tech2 or go find another donor car to pull all of the items from one car (including keys)
Mid way down post #4 it explains how to do it with out tech2
Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
As long as you didn't make the engine harness stand alone and remove wire that communicate pcm to bcm, then just do as directed above with the tech2. Otherwise you will need another harness or pin the wires back in. Programming them together will be a lot easier than finding matching pcm, bcm, and ignition cylinder with keys.
The harness is not stand alone, I just removed unused wires. I'm even using the under dash BCM harness
Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Do a write entire after setting the vats to OFF. Not just write calibration.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leeanator
Yes, all of these items are security coded, The BCM has a 6 digit code that links it to the PIM and the PIM has a 4 digit code that connects it to the ECU. All of which need to be linked to start the car. Otherwise, just the PIM and BCM linked will work, you will just get an annoying "Service Vehicle Soon" message on the stock gto cluster with VATS disabled.

Although.... You should still be able to start the car without any modules being linked....possibly. You just wont have AC/ cruise control. You do how ever need to do a "full write/ flash" to the ECU with both VATS 1 & 2 disabled on HP Tuners for instance.

As well, the Keys come hard coded with a "code" and it is learned by the BCM doing the 30-10-30-10-30 sequence. You cannot re-use keys, so you must have keys that match the BCM (same donor vehicle)or buy new ones and program them.

Here is the tricky part. You can't get the codes from the dealerships typically because you need the VIN # and proof of current ownership and insurance. There is a tool on ls1gto.com that was built which can extract the data. I have used it and it works. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565017

Once you get the codes, you need a tech2 to link them all. I am sure all of the data even for the modules and keys and radio are stored on the BCM and PIM in those chips. Its just a matter of finding out where it is stored and how it can be changed. It would be awesome if we didn't need to get the stealership involved with changing stuff around.
Man I was trying to avoid getting new keys or matching BCM. I wanna make work with what I got, going to see if I can find someone with a tech2 and won't charge a arm n a leg. My OBD reader pulls a VIN# I'm guessing it's the PCMs vin.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

It won't crank or won't start?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

No it won't crank, did some research and thats the security system kicking in thinking the car is stolen. The anti-theft light is blinking on the GTO gauges
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 PM

I missed the bottom half of that post

That being said, if your keys were not from the BCM you have, it looks like you need replacement keys, based on that TSB, keys can't be re-learned to a new BCM after the initial learning.

As far as programming the new keys, It's hard to tell if they program at the same time as linking the BCM to the PIM (it uses the same sequence of steps) or if you need to do the procedure twice in a row, once for the key learn and the second to link BCM and PIM. (then the last time to link PIM to ECM) so possibly need to run through the sequence 3 times?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ToastyZ71
I missed the bottom half of that post

That being said, if your keys were not from the BCM you have, it looks like you need replacement keys, based on that TSB, keys can't be re-learned to a new BCM after the initial learning.

As far as programming the new keys, It's hard to tell if they program at the same time as linking the BCM to the PIM (it uses the same sequence of steps) or if you need to do the procedure twice in a row, once for the key learn and the second to link BCM and PIM. (then the last time to link PIM to ECM) so possibly need to run through the sequence 3 times?
Yes 3 times. So this means I'm gonna have to get a new key cut to my column but coded to my existing BCM. I'm gonna do some research on how much its is to get that done vs finding a BCM with a matching key. Also thinking of doing what "leeanator" suggested theres a user on ls1gto who made a tool to read codes off PIM and BCM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if I get new blank key fob transmitter and program it to my BCM I have with the instructions above ( key on 3x 10min) I should be all good right? Since a existing key can't be reprogrammed twice?
Heres a new fob I found. Sounds like a fare price. For GM part
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201147300459?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Quick Reply: 04 GTO Full swap, VATs deleted car still won't crank