Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Pulling trans from 2000 FRC (In the future, its fine as of now)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling trans from 2000 FRC (In the future, its fine as of now)

Just thought that I would post up with this question.

How easy is it to pull the trans out of a 2000 FRC while its sitting on jack stands in the driveway ??

Then once you got her out how difficult is it to upgrade everything and reinstall ??

If you have done this yourself, please post up with helpful comments.

My transmission is not having any problems, but I was asked what I am going to do with all the extra rwtq coming from my new 402......if the trans should start acting up.

Anyone with a 500/500 402 and stock trans, could you let me know if you have had any trans issues from your stock t56 ??
Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

WOW no help at all ??? I can't believe no one on here has any experience doing this in the driveway......
Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone have any opinions on whether 500 rwhp and 500 rwtq is going to push my stock t56 beyond its limits or not ?? What is it rated at if anyone knows ??
Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, still nothing.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up some info once u find out man, thnaks
Old 11-15-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have an automatic so I can't speak from personal experience but from what I've seen/heard the T56s usually hold around 550-600 before they crap the **** out. So your setup should be fine. Can't help with the installation part though.

I wonder how hard it is to pull out though.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 AM
TECH Regular

Well the only thing internally in my FRC was the hardened main shaft. I snapped it in half on an easy 2nd gear roll. I think you'll be fine for a while.

As for removing the tranny. I have done it a few times and if you can get the car high enough its actually pretty simple. I can remove the tranny in a couple hours. Make sure you get a tranny jack (even a cheap one) it helps alot. Its all pretty straight forward, just seems like alot when you start undoing the suspension, brakes etc.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Well the only thing internally in my FRC was the hardened main shaft. I snapped it in half on an easy 2nd gear roll. I think you'll be fine for a while.

As for removing the tranny. I have done it a few times and if you can get the car high enough its actually pretty simple. I can remove the tranny in a couple hours. Make sure you get a tranny jack (even a cheap one) it helps alot. Its all pretty straight forward, just seems like alot when you start undoing the suspension, brakes etc.
Thanks for the info. My buddy is nervous about helping me do it if/when the time comes to pull it. He knows I love my car and doesn't want anything to get messed up. Too bad the dealership he works for won't let him use his bay(s) on the weekend.

Hey quick shot, if you are correct I should be fine. I keep the fluids changed and I don't plan on racing everything I see this time. LOL.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Having seen my tranny dropped numerous times, I would say this is a job for a lift. You really need to get fully under it & have the trans jack remove it..
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Having seen my tranny dropped numerous times, I would say this is a job for a lift. You really need to get fully under it & have the trans jack remove it..
How much would you say it weighs ?? I was thinking that me and by buddy could just pull the sucker out. He's pretty damn strong too.

At any rate don't you think we could hold it in place, and when the last bolt is out just manually lower it on to a creeper and slide her out ?? I don't have access to a lift and don't feel like paying GM's ripoff labor costs at his dealership when I can get them for a 6 pack and a large pizza in the driveway at his house. LOL.

Thanks for the advice Yo El....
Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

You will need a tranny jack believe me. It makes the job like 10 x's easier. You can get a cheap tranny jack for under $60. You really just need the car high enough to be able to get the tranny out (lol obviously) but if you have it high enough to get the tranny out you'll have plenty of room to work on it. It really isnt that difficult, remove the brakes, shocks (the 2 bolts up top) pull the axles out, and 4 bolts on the crossmember. That pretty much takes care of the rear portion, then you just need to unbolt the torque tube. I have done it about 4 times and I could probably swap a tranny start to finish in 3-4 hrs.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
You will need a tranny jack believe me. It makes the job like 10 x's easier. You can get a cheap tranny jack for under $60. You really just need the car high enough to be able to get the tranny out (lol obviously) but if you have it high enough to get the tranny out you'll have plenty of room to work on it. It really isnt that difficult, remove the brakes, shocks (the 2 bolts up top) pull the axles out, and 4 bolts on the crossmember. That pretty much takes care of the rear portion, then you just need to unbolt the torque tube. I have done it about 4 times and I could probably swap a tranny start to finish in 3-4 hrs.

I agree, you'll need a tranny lift and good floor jack to get the job done. Just becareful not to lean it down to fat or you'll bust your firewall.

http://www.cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm
Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

The power isnt going to hurt your trans... We are making over 700/700 on stock MN6s without a problem. Dont power shift and dont miss gears and you will be fine.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
The power isnt going to hurt your trans... We are making over 700/700 on stock MN6s without a problem. Dont power shift and dont miss gears and you will be fine.
Yep 500/500 ain't **** to that trans. If you're gonna hook it hard, you'll break the rear first.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance

Thanks for the comments Ron.

Also thanks to Ed for chiming in. Ed, I have a DTE stg III with brace. Anything I should be concerned about there ??

Coming home with a fresh change of Redline.....
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks for the comments Ron.

Also thanks to Ed for chiming in. Ed, I have a DTE stg III with brace. Anything I should be concerned about there ??

Coming home with a fresh change of Redline.....
Nah, it'll hold up fine. Got hardened out put shafts in the rear?
If you're not gonna hook it hard, you'll be fine.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

good info to know answered all my questions too!

EDIT: man that c5 how to is bad ***!! i was about to pull my motor out the top tomorrow actually and this was a quick walk threw and i covered everything which is good to know

this is on jackstands too BTW lol

Last edited by DemonInside; 11-17-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Nah, it'll hold up fine. Got hardened out put shafts in the rear?
If you're not gonna hook it hard, you'll be fine.

Yes both are hardened. Stg I does the drivers side, not sure if stg II does both or not, but stg III gives you the micro polishing, cryo treatment, hardened output shafts both sides and some other little perks over stg's I and II.

Quick Reply: Pulling trans from 2000 FRC (In the future, its fine as of now)