Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Brand new Corvette and no garage. What car cover is the best???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Corvette and no garage. What car cover is the best???

I sold the Camaro in my sig and getting home from Iraq in a couple months to order my first Corvette.

I wont have a garage for a few months till I PCS (move to a new post for all ya'll non military folks out there) so my brand new baby will have to sleep under the stars but I want to cover her up.

What is the best cover out there. $ is no object. I figure after spending +$50,000 whats a few hunderd for a cover.

Also I'm going to be living in an appartment complex so I cant put up one of those car tents or car-ports. If I could I wouldnt even be posting.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Selki
I sold the Camaro in my sig and getting home from Iraq in a couple months to order my first Corvette.

I wont have a garage for a few months till I PCS (move to a new post for all ya'll non military folks out there) so my brand new baby will have to sleep under the stars but I want to cover her up.

What is the best cover out there. $ is no object. I figure after spending +$50,000 whats a few hunderd for a cover.

Also I'm going to be living in an appartment complex so I cant put up one of those car tents or car-ports. If I could I wouldnt even be posting.

Thanks
Dont buy Black
Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 AM
On The Tree

Someone has to have an opinion besides Eurospec2. At least let me know which brands should I stay away from.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

I hear a lot of good things about Noah and Coverking. I have the Coverking Stormproof cover and am 100% happy with it. I have to tie it down during heavy winds but its a great fit and very durable. Been using it for over a year and its holding up great, no sign of wear. Downside it that I think its the most expensive one out there.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

I'm in the same position as you and I use the Wolf brand. It fits like a glove.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The one that is a GM part is very high quality car cover. This all-weather cover provides waterproof, breathable outdoor protection. It features the crossed-flag logo on the vehicle cover and the matching storage bag. It is available in red, black and gray or 2 tone red/black. If memory serves it retails for $345 out of our parts department. If you are interested PM me and I'll get you a military price. Thank you for your efforts in the war on terror sir!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Thank you for your efforts in the war on terror sir!!!

I don't know much about the car covers; however, I second this statement!!!

BTW, give us the details on your order; what color etc...

RT
Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

My opinion: Do not buy until the PCS is complete. First though, when you do PCS, what is your next duty station? Driving or flying? I would not ship a brand new Corvette to my new duty station. I'd wait the little extra time.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DocT

RT
+3!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best out there, imo, and I did some research like you are. It's a fairly thick/heavy material which is good as it protects from door dings. Even though I have a garage, sometimes it's outside, and has held up for about 3 years fine.

Robert
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DocT

RT
Thank you guys for the support. 13.5 months down and just a few to go. Any way I'm getting an Orange coupe with Z51, Nav, 3LT (black), exhaust and Museum delivery.

Originally Posted by TheRooster
My opinion: Do not buy until the PCS is complete. First though, when you do PCS, what is your next duty station? Driving or flying? I would not ship a brand new Corvette to my new duty station. I'd wait the little extra time.
I'm PCS'ing from Ft Bragg to Ft Eustis. Its a 4 hour drive so I really don't see the diff from buying it before or after the PCS. I do 1000000% agree with you though if I were going to have it shipped. The Army cant find a mover that can ship my furnature without messing it up I think I would kill someone if they messed up my new Vette.

Thanks for the info on the covers guys. I havent looked at the Wolf covers yet just California so far.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Selki
Thank you guys for the support. 13.5 months down and just a few to go. Any way I'm getting an Orange coupe with Z51, Nav, 3LT (black), exhaust and Museum delivery.

I'm PCS'ing from Ft Bragg to Ft Eustis. Its a 4 hour drive so I really don't see the diff from buying it before or after the PCS. I do 1000000% agree with you though if I were going to have it shipped. The Army cant find a mover that can ship my furnature without messing it up I think I would kill someone if they messed up my new Vette.

Thanks for the info on the covers guys. I havent looked at the Wolf covers yet just California so far.

You just make sure you get home safely man so you can drive the pi$$ outta that new vette wildman! I wish the military woulda paid more back when I was serving...I'd have loved to have come back from El Salvador with a brand new vette waiting for me! You tha man dawg! Make sure to post up some pics when you get her, we all want to drool a little over your new girl.

RT
Old 07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awsome color choice! I bought my C5 when I got back as well. If your only going from NC to VA just have the Army ship your house hold goods and drive the car to Eustis? Anyway I have no input on car covers but stay safe and dont get complacent with only a few months left. Get home safe!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Ya know I just got back to this today and one thing never stops amazing me. CAR PEOPLE ROCK!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

this is really splitting hairs but....from what i understand, having a car cover on a non-garaged car can cause fine scratches over time on the corners of the car; from the constant rubbing of the cover from the wind (especially since the car won't always be freshly washed before covering it). granted, it would take a while but i think the best bet would be prevention. just get some coats of zaino right when you get it and maintain the finish by washing every 1-2 weeks. maintenance is the key. and don't park under trees (bird **** and tree sap). you'd think it would be common sense but soooo many nice cars choose to park under trees for the shade. welcome home and congrats on your purchase!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...0&dept_id=1364

Excellent cover...light weight, water resistant, if i had to buy another, it would be one of these.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Teching In

I used my cover for a couple of weeks this winter when the vette got displaced for a repair in the garage. I didn't like the scratches to the corners. They came out with a wax job, but if the weather isn't real bad where you are, the cover might be more trouble than it's worth. Chuck.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Professor
this is really splitting hairs but....from what i understand, having a car cover on a non-garaged car can cause fine scratches over time on the corners of the car; from the constant rubbing of the cover from the wind (especially since the car won't always be freshly washed before covering it). granted, it would take a while but i think the best bet would be prevention. just get some coats of zaino right when you get it and maintain the finish by washing every 1-2 weeks. maintenance is the key. and don't park under trees (bird **** and tree sap). you'd think it would be common sense but soooo many nice cars choose to park under trees for the shade. welcome home and congrats on your purchase!
Very good advice. I've never heard about or have first hand expirence with the corner scratches but even hearing that it is a possibility I will make sure to pay close attention so I can get to any before they become to much to get rid of with a waxing.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Teching In

Lightbulb Outdoor Cover

I've used the Stormguard car cover which is made of the Evolution 4 material ( water repellent yet breathable & thick enough to guard against dings ) w/excellent results! I worked offshore for 14 day tours & had to leave my '87 in the company parking lot which was basically a fenced-in gravel lot so I needed all the protection my black paint could get! After 3+ years of this the paint didn't show any excessive wear or scratches ( especially compared to the faded paint jobs on my co-workers cars! ). The only downside was that I had to go to a washateria & use a commercial sized washer to clean the cover as it was too thick for my home unit. Small price to pay, IMHO.
Add me to the list of grateful Americans for your service to our country!!

Quick Reply: Brand new Corvette and no garage. What car cover is the best???