Sad night at HRP

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:01 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sad night at HRP

RACER ROCKY KEYES KILLED IN TOP END CRASH AT HRP

LONG TIME RACER ROCKY KEYES LOST HIS LIFE TODAY AFTER A TOP END CRASH AT HOUSTON RACEWAY PARK. DETAILS ARE NOT KNOWN AT THIS TIME, BUT HE PASSED AT THE TRACK. I' VE KNOWN ROCKY FOR MANY YEARS AS A BRACKET RACER IN THE 70'S AND A SUPER CLASS RACER. ROCKY WAS LIKED AND WELL KNOWN FOR HIS UNIQUE COBRA SUPER COMP ROADSTER, HE WILL BE MISSED..

Very Sad.

Coach
Old 08-05-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad news Coach & a moment of silence

ROCKY KEYES

peace
Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. And to think, drag racing is a hobby.

Sorry to hear that.

Tony.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:07 AM

http://www.houstonraceway.com/forums...?topic=14460.0

http://www.photochimps.com/gallery/data/627/rocky2.jpg

Coach

Last edited by Coach 02 A3 Z/28; 08-06-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is very sad and it freaked me out last night after I heard. Dee Kruse called my dad last night before our race started and told him about it but he didn't tell me until after the race was over. Dee said Rocky had put a new set of brakes on his car and was just going out there to test them out. He was supposed to do easy passes the first few runs but he went all out first run. He was a great guy and had a heck of a crazy personality. He'll be missed for sure. It just makes you be that much more respectful of the race car you drive. You can never tell when something like that can happen. RIP Rocky.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM

My family is still upset. Rocky was a very cool guy. He was parked right next to us and was helping us out trying to fix my Dad's slick yesterday.

Coach
Old 08-06-2006, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

A very sad day yesterday. Condolences to his family. I think the track handled it well and made the right decision cancelling the race. The moment of silence and prayer was very respectful. I'm still in shock. R.I.P, Rocky.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:28 PM
8 second mod

didnt know him, bet very sad to hear.
RIP for a fellow racer
Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to hear.

Whenever a crash happens, it reminds you that this "hobby" is a dangerous one, and to be thankful for each clean pass you make.
I know this personally after watching an 18-year-old aspiring footbraker blow an engine and crash 3 weeks back, as everyone (mostly racers) took a few minutes to remember that fact.
Good news was she survived, and after some hospital work was back racing last night.

Hope he's racing upstairs right now in peace...

Derek
Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:27 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Very sad news. RIP Rocky Keyes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Wow. We ran a NHRA divisional race in Cincinnati a few years ago and saw his Cobra there and heard he was all the way from Texas, he obviously loved racing.

Sad to hear, makes you appreciate the fact that our cars are that fast and even though we are used to the speed if one thing goes wrong it could all be over. RIP.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Investigations planned in track fatality

By Jessica Robertson
Baytown Sun

Published August 7, 2006

Three agencies will conduct investigations on the cause of an accident Saturday night at Houston Raceway Park that resulted in the death of a longtime driver.

A Houston man, Rockey Keyes, was killed after he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a retaining wall near the finish line. Race officials said he was driving more than 120 mph in a Super Comp car.

The Chambers County Sheriff’s Office will lead an investigation to determine how the accident was caused. Texas Department of Public Safety officials will assist in the technical aspect of the investigation, Justice of the Peace Larry Cryer said.

“We’re interested in finding out not only what caused the accident but what led up to him impacting the wall,” Cryer said. “We want to know whether it was a mechanical failure, driver error or something else.”

The National Hot Rod Association will also investigate the accident and safety issues at the track.

Track general manager Gerald Critchfield said race officials followed all NHRA rules and safety standards.

“We want to ascertain the reason the accident occurred,” he said. “We’ve certainly had our share of accidents for a multitude of reasons, but in 19 years, this is the first fatality we’ve had. We’re proud of our safety record. But even when you take all the necessary precautions, when you’re driving in excess of 120 miles per hour, it’s still a dangerous sport, and accidents happen.”

District 6 Councilman and local racing enthusiast Sammy Mahan was with Cryer when he received a call about the accident.

“Something happened that wasn’t supposed to happen,” Mahan said. “Those are real safe cars. Very rarely do you see an accident in one of those.”

Cryer arrived at the track after the accident but while Keyes was still in his car. On-site paramedics had already determined that Keyes was dead, Cryer said. Jefferson County Medical Examiners are expected to release autopsy findings later today.

Keyes raced on Houston-area tracks for the NHRA for more than 30 years, Critchfield said, and was respected in the local racing community. He was known for driving a blue 1966 Cobra that he displayed at Houston car shows.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:51 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

I'm still in shock over the whole deal. We were set up with Coach right next to Rockey. He had every piece of safety equipment that you could have on a car for his ET.

RIP Rockey Keyes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

This whole incident reminds me of the horrible feeling you have when something like this happens and the persons truck/trailer setup is sitting there after something has happened. I've been thinking about this all day, like I said I still remember when he ran the divisional event around here. Me and my Dad were rooting him on because he was the only left hand steer car that was in Super Comp.

Next weekend I'll finally use my window net and neck brace, it's unfortunate that my track isn't strict on saftey.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

didnt know him, but sorry to hear
RIP for a fellow racer
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Many years ago when I started racing I realized that I had become part of a wonderful family, A family of Racers. Over the years We, a family, have lost many dear members...

Godspeed Rocky.

Maggie Stewart

Last edited by Maggie; 08-08-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Originally Posted by Hrod382
This whole incident reminds me of the horrible feeling you have when something like this happens and the persons truck/trailer setup is sitting there after something has happened. I've been thinking about this all day, like I said I still remember when he ran the divisional event around here. Me and my Dad were rooting him on because he was the only left hand steer car that was in Super Comp.

Next weekend I'll finally use my window net and neck brace, it's unfortunate that my track isn't strict on saftey.

That is still bothering me. His diesel rig, fans and accessories were still running in preparation for his return to cool down and get ready for the next round. We lost a good one.

He had a big family here at HRP as well as across the US.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry to hear, it is a real tragedy
Old 08-13-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard more news about Rocky today. He had a broken neck but they said even a HANS device wouldn't have save him because he had a few other internal injuries. They seem to think the car was spinning pretty bad. The onboard computer showed that he peddled it one time then he never lifted once the car made the hard left into the wall. The NHRA and IHRA Chaplins' came down for the service and the majority of the crowd were friends and racers. RIP Rocky

Quick Reply: Sad night at HRP