NHRA to run Top Fuel/FC to 1000' starting in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NHRA to run Top Fuel/FC to 1000' starting in Denver

NHRA's safety decision for now to run Fuel and Funny Car to only 1000' starting at the next event Denver!!
http://www.nhra.com/
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Maybe they should focus on not building cement barriers behind the shutdown area.
That was the only track on the circuit like that.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pensio...0752&t=k&hl=en
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
Maybe they should focus on not building cement barriers behind the shutdown area.

No kidding! I think every track has a shutdown area with nets, sand or gravel to stop a speeding car, not a concrete wall.
I cant believe it hasnt happend sooner than it did with Scott Kallita.
Chad
Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss4chad
No kidding! I think every track has a shutdown area with nets, sand or gravel to stop a speeding car, not a concrete wall.
I cant believe it hasnt happend sooner than it did with Scott Kallita.
Chad
The accident was a bad situation, terrible. NHRA made a very fast safety decision , it will make it safer for the drivers giving them 320' more shutdown and slightly slower speeds. I'm sure it will cost TV viewers and less spectators.
As has been said on other sites what would have happened if it were one of the girl racers killed. If Hillary or Ashley or Melany were in that accident NHRA would be almost finished.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO

There is a road back there.

Never realized how BIG that facility is....wow.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

i knew they were talking about it for some tracks that can't be inproved, but all of them? thats bullshit IMO if its perminant. it sucks what happened, but some tracks are safe enough.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt someone mention they blow up most of their stuff in the last 300 feet of the 1/4 mile? Wouldnt this be from getting everything out of the motor before the finish which comes with rpms. I dont see how 1000' would solve this. Change the setup around and same thing will happen.

I do give credit to nhra for making a move and not wasting time doing it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Excellent idea, gives them some time to figure out some ideas. Glad the drivers voted for it before they just did it,
with no input from the teams. I think we should support them, & let them have some time. Sitting at the starting line
(we always do) you will barely notice anyway. It's temporary, let's not overreact. At least they are trying, if they did nothing, guys would be bitching about that.

MY 2 CENTS.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

There still gonna run 300mph to the 1000' and once the tuners get used to running the shorter track they will get quicker and probably start blowing up at 1000' too. Although they may be able to get rid of the rev limiters with a short track which many think is the reason for so many blown motors at the stripe.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

if they hadn't told anyone, 95% of the fans would have NO idea... just put whatever numbers the fans want to see up on the scoreboards. you can't tell the difference watching two 280mph cars run side by side down the track and two 320mph cars doing it.... they just HAVE to see the big numbers. very stupid really, most of the "fans" want to see the pedal races, blow ups, etc... very very sad and embarrassing to the sport.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Yes Tony Pedregon said that is when they do most of their engine damage is after the 1,000 ft mark.

Personally I love the side by side dragracing and the pedal fests the most.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackfang
Yes Tony Pedregon said that is when they do most of their engine damage is after the 1,000 ft mark.

Personally I love the side by side dragracing and the pedal fests the most.
pedal fests are the LAMEST thing about racing.... every time it happens it makes me sick. pro stock use to be SO exciting because every pair was going to be side by side, now they are blowing the tires off all the time, breaking **** all the time, basically NHRA "pro" drag racing has begun to suck ***...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Klive
pedal fests are the LAMEST thing about racing.... every time it happens it makes me sick. pro stock use to be SO exciting because every pair was going to be side by side, now they are blowing the tires off all the time, breaking **** all the time, basically NHRA "pro" drag racing has begun to suck ***...
That is your opinion. You can chose not to watch it.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

i don't anymore... my EDUCATED opinion... ANYONE that likes to see a pedal fest obviously doesn't understand racing or the point of it.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like broken speed and et records.
I want to see 4.00 @ 360 in the quarter, but I also want it to be reasonably safe (as safe as can be expected at 300+) with properly designed facilities. Of course machine power and technology is surpassing humans ability to control it, where does it end? If they quit getting faster I admit, I'll get bored and not watch. If my turd quits getting faster, I'll sell it.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

As has been said before, if they hadnt built a CONCRETE barrier to stop the cars, maybe Scott would be around today. Even if that car had ran to the 1000 foot and slowed, there still wouldnt have been enough time to stop the car.

I wonder how Anderson, Schumacher, and the rest that rely on big top end charges are going to cope with this change. Expect a shake up in points as some of the top guys in the points all post big MPH because of top end charges as oppossed to big launches. Expect those like the Force Camp, Dixon, and a few others to begin winning more than they did.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

the points wont change... the guys will just start blowing up motors at 800' instead of 1100' ... the sport is not about records or breaking records, it is about RACING... anyone who likes the sport less because of this is NOT a racing fan, they are a numbers fan.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Klive
the points wont change... the guys will just start blowing up motors at 800' instead of 1100' ... the sport is not about records or breaking records, it is about RACING... anyone who likes the sport less because of this is NOT a racing fan, they are a numbers fan.
That is a stupid statement. Numbers fan?
If it's not about the speed and power and going faster and faster then we don't need top fuel at all.
In fact they could all race stock ford vans and not be allowed to even tune them because it's only about "the race".

It's not ONLY broken records that are fun, but knowing it can and does happen because they are always seeking that little extra edge keeps it exciting and interesting. At least for people like me. I don't want to watch the same car go the same number a milllion times, sorry but it gets old.

Do you remember when they first ran in the 4's? Remember when they broke 300mph? Was that not awesome?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Wall everyone is talking about.. Not my pics, just seen it somewhere else and though I would share

Below, you'll find an aerial pic of ETown's shutdown area and some pics taken days after the accident showing the safety equipment up close. ETown has taken a lot of criticism because of it's short shutdown. In reality there aren't many tracks in the world that could've allowed a driver to survive a 200-250 mph crash. There's a lot to be fixed in drag racing. The track's represent only one of several issues. The 1000' racing is temporary solution so they can keep racing while they figure out what to do. For the team's perspective, I'd ask that you read Bob Wilber's latest blog entry. It may change your perspective:
http://blogs.nhra.com/nhrablogs.asp?blog=csk

Now to the shut down. Let's start with the aerial view:

What follows is a photo study from a drag racing board that I visit. The words and pics are not mine but serve to convey what was in place on Saturday, June 21st.

This is a photo from the rear of the gravel pit looking toward the starting line. What appears, to many, from the starting line as a retaining wall is actually the continuation of the right side guard wall. It is designed to aim errant cars into another run off area [JerseyGTO - done to improve safety after Johnny West's big accident at ETown years ago]:

This is a view from the right hand lane entering the gravel pit. You can see that the "pit" is open ended. The trucks are in the auxilliary run-off.
You can also see the sand barrels that were added after the crash.
At no time were jersey barriers installed anywhere in this area as some have stated.

This is the pole that supports the net. You can see that it was not embedded in concrete as some have stated. It is a 10" o.d. section of water pipe with a half inch wall thickness. It is not, nor ever was, filled with concrete as stated by Jim Head and others. It does have a steel plate welded to the top in order to keep water and debris out.

Net, attached to pole with springs. The springs give the catch net the ability to stretch far more than it would without them. You might also note the plastic tubing that holds the net upright. Some have stated that they were made out of steel. No, its PVC that has been drilled so that it has a "break-away" function. The gravel is piled up behind the net to keep cars fro "diving" under the net.
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah but every time they go faster NHRA slows them down. Up to now its been about a 335ish limit. When Shumacher ran 336 or 337 a few yrs ago they slowed the cars down. They could run a lot faster if not for rev limiter, pulley limits, nitro limits etc. If somebody were to hit 340 it wouldn't last they would just slow the cars down. These things can go 275+ in 660 ft I'm gonna guess the will pass 300 at 1000. They are just gonna have more shutdown area now they will still blow them up if NHRA does not change any thing else with rev limiter, nitro %, pulley size and probably a laundry list of other rules/regulations. Its a good move for now from a safety standpoint until they can figure out what is best. The Denver race could be a mess. They are going to be on a new tire, new track length, probably 7-8000 DA, and a no testing mandate made by NHRA due to a Nitro shortage. I'm sure they will figure it out though.

Quick Reply: NHRA to run Top Fuel/FC to 1000' starting in Denver