Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers ORYP or Draglite Drag wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headers ORYP or Draglite Drag wheels?

My car is an 02 camaro A4 with no power options and I currently have 16" stock chrome wheels(pics in sig). The car so far has a cut-out, lid, self ported TB and FTRA. Still has stock manifolds and catted y-pipe. The car is a weekend and track car.

I have been reading a ton the last month and trying to decide on the next steps to take and have come across a dilema.

I don't really like the way the stock chrome wheels look and so I want to get some 15" draglites for weight saving and to change the look of the car. I will be putting 15x3.5 in front and 15x8 with 275/50 MT DR's in back. From what I have read, it seems about a .2 gain in e.t. can be had from the reduced weight.

The other option is to do some 1-3/4" Pacesetters and ORYP which it seems will gain about the same amount in e.t. or basically 20rwhp. If I do the headers, then I will just put 255/50/16 MT DR's on the stock wheels.

The dilema is that I really don't like the look of the draglite or prostar that much more than the stock wheel and I really don't want to grind my calipers. I wish I had the money for Bogarts, but at this time I don't.

So question is, will headers and ORYP be about the same e.t. drop as draglite/prostar drag wheels? If so I will probably jdo headers and wait until next summer to get some bogarts for my car.

Thanks for the info.

James
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

IMO i would get the headers and oryp.....you can put a dr on and be good to go
Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't like the draglite or prostar check out the Billet Specialties Streetlites. They are the same price as a prostar or draglite. They even have a f-body specific rear wheel so no grinding is needed on the back and on the front with the 1.625 back spacing it only took me 3 passes of the grinder and the wheel fit perfectly.

If it was me I would get the longtubes because they are cheaper. You can get another set of factories for the back with d/r for the track
Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have looked at the billet street lites and like the way they look, but at $360 for each rear "f-body" wheel, that is hardly cheap. However they are still probably cheaper than a set of bogarts, but I am just speculating here.

Like I said, this car is not a daily driver by any means...just for weekend cruising of at the track so I won't need to get another set of wheels for the DR's. The MT's will probably crack from getting old before I wear them out.

The main thing I'm looking for here is confirmation that drag wheels net about a .2 gain in e.t. which is about the same as headers, after a tune of course.

If the drag wheels will give me a significantly bigger e.t. increase than a set of headers, then I would be more inclined to go that route...if not then the headers will probably win out.

I ran a 13.74 at 103.23 with a 2.25 60' on stock tires at approx. 5,000ft DA, with current mods. I would like to get some 13.1's or perhaps sneak into the 12's if possible with the DR's(LCA's & SFC's) and the headers/tune if possible. I know these times are low for most but our air here sucks!!!

Last edited by Dr. Jeckel; 05-09-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers are one of the best mods you can do. Drag wheels help too but making the power is where it is at. Also plan for a re-tune to get rid of engine codes and maximize power since you may be running lean. I was.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a converter
Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Headers are one of the best mods you can do. Drag wheels help too but making the power is where it is at. Also plan for a re-tune to get rid of engine codes and maximize power since you may be running lean. I was.

You are right, that is why I stated I would be getting a tune along with the headers.

I know converter is the best mod, I had a yank 3500 on my TA and loved it so converter will be next, but with 100k on the clock and everything working great with the trans and rear I don't wanna "break the factory seal" so to speak.

I'll do converter when I have enough to go through the trans.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say get the headers.
i went from a 13.1@106 to a 12.8@110 from my headers and ory.
just get a set of drs or get a spare set of 16's and throw some dr's or slicks on em just for the track.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a set of used cheap front skinnies (convo pros are good for this), headers, and the DR's for the stock rims in the back.