Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone replace there bellhousing on there th350/400's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default anyone replace there bellhousing on there th350/400's?

has anyone cut off there bellhousing on there th350 and replaced it with a aftermerket bellhousing.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JPT-92452/ A local trans shop by me puts the case on a bridgeport to mill it down. Im wondering if this is possible with a cut-off wheel and some carfull time? I just dont wanna really pay a ton of money to mill my case if i can do it myself. ANYONE??

--i did post this in the trans section but i figure more people in here would know more about it then the general tech in that section --
Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did it on a 400 long time ago when the JW 1st came out.

Sawzalled off the 1st chunk, then a small air saw for the 2nd cut.
I think we did use a grinder for the final fit, but I had already went home and my trans guy finished it up.
I was too cheap to have the machine shop do it also, you're not alone.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

my next question is....

on the stock bellhousing the lsx TCI flexplate was REAL close to the housing. Are the JW housings smaller in diameter to where my flexplate wont even fit? It says you need to use a 10" converter or smaller but hoping its just cause its thicker by the end? Hopefully someone can chime in that actually has one of these on a lsx car and TCI flexplate!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
8 Second Club

On the 400, we made the rough cut with a sawzall, then used a grinder to finish it . The Ultra bell has dimensions in the instructions.
The TCI plate fit just fine on mine. There are a couple of bolts on the rear engine cover that had to be clearanced. No big deal though. I suggest mocking it up on the engine before bolting it to the trans. A lot easier to hold just a bellhousing then a whole trans!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

i also run a tci flexplate on my th400 w/ jw bell w/ no interference issues between the plate and housing... the only modification you need to do is on the engine side... 4 of the upper rear engine cover bolts need to be ground down or changed to a countersunk bolt to clear the bellhousing flange... they might have fixed this issue, but im not sure... mine is pretty old, and i talked to jw about it a while back when i first came across the issue...
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

We just intalled my bellhousing on my Th350 about 3 weeks ago. We have a mill and made a plate to mount ot the tailshaft housing holes. We took a sawzall and got the biggest part of the old bell off. Like everone else I dont see why you coudnt cut it will a die grinder.
Also We milled off the top 2 ears that stick up. I know that NHRA says for no cutting to be done on it but the instructions said that they could be removed for clearance and still be legal
Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

sweet, good to hear! And your flexplate fit just fine also? Im still tossin around the idea of cuttin and puttin it on myself or a shop by me will take my trans, pull the guts out and put the housing on his lathe and cut it down perfect then reassemble it all for $200. So risk it myself or pay $200? Im leanin towards payin the $200 UNLESS it really is idiot proof?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine with a cutoff wheel on a grinder. Its hard to get a frame of reference between the inside and outside of the stock case, so I drilled a series of small holes first. Then, made a rough cut to test fit, a final cut, and finished it off with a flap disc on the grinder to get it perfect. Had it done in an hour and there is less than 1/16" gap between the cut edge and the JW ultrabell.

Quick Reply: anyone replace there bellhousing on there th350/400's?