Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring choice, stock or pro kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spring choice, stock or pro kit

obviously the prokit was not designed with drag racing in mind... but am I going to kill my 60' and overall ET bad enough to warrant the swap back to the stock SS springs? I have zero mods to the suspension other than it being lowered and sway bar removed - so I want to get a baseline on the new ls2/4l60e combo (414 rwhp through a 3800 stall and stock rear)....

I need to pull the wheels off the car to do the studs and put M/Ts all the way around anyway so swapping the springs out will only take a few minutes.

Thoughts?

fwiw, looking at a bunch of similar applications - the car has the potential to run in the high 11s with the motor/trans set up.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a discussion less then 2 weeks ago. I stated to keep the rears stock and the front near stock poundage if your stock weight and let the shocks do the work because that is what my exp is and that is what I feel comfortiable with. BUT

With a lowered spring, if you correct for rear end geometry, that maybe a valid option. Being that this is an auto car, your suspension requirements tend to be less then a M6 car which is to your advantage too!

Are you lowing for looks??
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a traction issue with a prokit...best 60' i've pulled on it was a 1.54 though
Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

For rear springs, we usually use the stock spring w/ a double adjustable shock. As of Nov. 1st, AFCO went down on their pricing for the double and single adjustable shocks. If you're interested in purchasing a pair, of if you have more questions, feel free to call me at the shop anytime between 7:30am-5:30pm Monday-Friday. Our number is 225-673-3533 and my e-mail is listed in my sig.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine

Are you lowing for looks??
It's been lowered for at least a year, definitely for looks. Now that the car actually makes power it's a different story.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is more important to you? looks or track performance?

If you can stand to sacrifice a little performance for looks than keep it the way it is. Otherwise I would swap them back out.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just trying to run a number twice and call it a day there. I have been to the track once in the last 3 years, I frankly don't have either the time nor do I really care enough to get out there.

First time I want to go out is to run a number and see what it does, second time I'll be entering an event and hopefully ******* some **** up - then I'm going to make an all out bottle pass, get booted but have the numbers so when/if I go to sell the car I can at least say what it runs.

Looks are way more important considering it never goes to the track, but when I do go out there if it's completely worthless... I might as well put the stock springs back in.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

i would think they will perform better at the strip over stock even if they werent made for it..ive seen a couple around for sale..at a reasonable price. pick up a set and see for yourself! Im curious to see #s