Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacume pump on stock motor LS1, and street drivien?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Vacume pump on stock motor LS1, and street drivien?

I would like to put a vacuum pump on my car, Ive heard some good setup gaining 11-13hp on 450whp. I don;t know much about this, It looks like I need to pull about 10", Less doesn't gain much? But how much to you want to go, I see most guys going 11-13"?? But on race cars, if you gonna cruise around on the street, and hwy, whats the side effects? I heard (read on teh Internets)
it can cause wrist pin scuffing? Is this true? Is this only on press pins, or all?
And if you run one what pump is it, and hows it setup? Pics
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This won't be a huge help, but I run one on my Nova's SBC. The engine was only 2 seasons old when it was installed. Only gained 4 rwhp, but that could be from the engine not having a lot of time on it (275 runs and about 3,000 miles). The car does get street driven a bunch, and it holds about 7-9 psi at cruise speeds.

Derek
Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

I have sold a lot of Moroso Vacuum Pump Setups for street driven cars with great luck. Go with their 4-vane setup and you'll be on great shape!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/products/STR.03.01.000

this is what we use on the race car but you may want something more street friendly like the moroso mentioned, we pull around 15-17''. anymore than that i've heard it pulls the oil from the wrist pins like you were talking about. You should pick up good power on 10-13''.

Do they make a bracket kit for lsx motors? How do plan on mounting it?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Gz has some great pumps, and they offer a complete kit for f body's. That's who I'm going with in the next few months
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Evertime Ive seen someone put the GZ kit on there saw no to little gain, like 4-5hp, just something Ive noticed. If anyone knows different please post it the info.
http://gzmotorsports.com/LSXVPK.html

Star stuff I hear is really nice, also a moroso pump Im looking at. I would like to mount it in the AC spot, to keep it out of the way. I don't see that as a bad spot, its away form heat, and looks better. Not it that way of the plugs, and valve cover like the GZ setup is.

berry runs the moroso setup, some good info here. Looks like they have everything if you use there BBC style WP. It add up to some $$$ for looks like a bolt on deal. Im looking to run a EWP with the stock hoses, and Tstat, I might build one.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ater-pump.html
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have to run the cog belt? I was thinking about using a serpentine belt and run it off the AC pulley I'm not useing.

LS1joe gained 11whp on his cam only setup
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-numbers.html
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Damnit studderin, Every time I get my stuff together to catch up to you, you come up with another mod I cant afford.....
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Moroso Now has brackets out for the Left or Right head an LS engine.

Mike
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Damnit studderin, Every time I get my stuff together to catch up to you, you come up with another mod I cant afford.....

haha what do you mean?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
Moroso Now has brackets out for the Left or Right head an LS engine.

Mike

I had AEIcnc.com set mine up and make brackets for mine to hang off the passenger side head. Fits nice!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, looking for info on all setups. got any pics?

How do you like it there, is it in front of the head? Not over the VC like the GZ?
How are you driving it?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
Cool, looking for info on all setups. got any pics?

How do you like it there, is it in front of the head? Not over the VC like the GZ?
How are you driving it?

I'm driving it off a mandrel that AEI also made for the crank pulley i have. It mounts right off the front of the passenger side head. Mine actually sticks through the motor plate i run that was custom clearanced by AEI. This is the best pic i have at the moment. I'm sure bob@AEI could send you some CAD looks at it though.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thats the newer style pump?

Have you ran it yet? I hear some guys get alot of oil pulling form that spot in the valley
Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

It's a 3 vane. We dont get too bad of a buildup of oil on my car. We were very careful where we placed the bung for the oil in refrence to the valley. Also, you cant really see but we built a "tower" about 1-2" off the valley cover that the AN fitting threads onto. For it to pickup oil, it would be a major uphill battle
Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, how much do you pull? Dose the crank pulley use the cogs? DO you think a vac. pump needs to use them... what about my AC pulley idea? Also noticed people use a really small drive pulley, Did that pump have any rpm requirements?

ya a OG gen3 block has some room in there.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Cool, how much do you pull? Dose the crank pulley use the cogs? DO you think a vac. pump needs to use them... what about my AC pulley idea? Also noticed people use a really small drive pulley, Did that pump have any rpm requirements?

ya a OG gen3 block has some room in there.

We pull about 11.

We use cog on both sides. We talked about running an extension off the alternator or something but it just seemed like you were asking for belt slippage and something overly complicated. Obviously it works as that's what GZ uses. Do I think it's needed?.....No, but if you can i recommend it. There are charts i found somewhere that shows the RPM to vac expectations somewhere. If you look hard enough you can find it! haha
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

haha what do you mean?
Well I've cut all the stuff off of my car except the A/C system. Its HOT here. and I ordered the Vic Junior intake setup we talked about and now its a vacuum pump that I need.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Teching In

John, The Moroso pumps are not supposed to be run more than 50-70% of crank speed, so you'll really need a crank pulley that's 1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of the pulley on the pump. I like the cog pulley for a low tension belt system, the Moroso pumps don't have a big shaft or bearing in them, so the cog is hands down the best way to go. It's just a 12mm wide 8mm pitch htd belt, available from many suppliers, and Moroso has plenty of cog pulleys.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

I'm running the GZ VP101A mounted with the bracket that goes on the front of the passenger side head and I have to problems accessing my plugs. I'm currently running it at 11in. Also running the stock waterpump with the GZ tensioner and a gilmer belt setup. I don't know what power difference it has made but it seems like it revs quicker, then again that may be in my head.

Quick Reply: Vacume pump on stock motor LS1, and street drivien?