Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the accepted name brand for drag racers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the accepted name brand for drag racers?

I see a lot of products by Simpson, RJS, RCI, G-Force, etc. I'm wondering what is the NIKE or Reebok of drag racing? If you buy the Summit brand is it looked at as you were cheap or you got yourself a good deal? And I'm just using Summit as an example, could be Jegs, etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my wheel tubs (summit brand) and they were like 10 bucks cheaper than the other ones and looked good. I think if it is quality stuff, looks nice and sfi or nhra approved I could care less about the name.

I even did the radio shack skip shift mod, it cost me $1.00 and I have 4 extra resistors =)
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Launching!

All those brands you listed make safety equipment, so I assume you are looking at that type of product. If thats the case, as long as it is SFI approved it really just comes down to personal preference and how deep your pockets are.

Nobody is going to give you sh*t about the brand of safety gear you have.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rogue86
All those brands you listed make safety equipment, so I assume you are looking at that type of product. If thats the case, as long as it is SFI approved it really just comes down to personal preference and how deep your pockets are.

Nobody is going to give you sh*t about the brand of safety gear you have.
Correct, that's mainly what I was looking at which prompted the question. 5 point harness, racing seats, etc. I'm just not as up to speed on everything. For example, moroso studs vs ARP studs. I would think that "most" people would say to go with ARP. Those are the types of things I'm looking for. I don't want to spend money on something just to be later told that I should have bought something else.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Most of the time it comes down to where YOU want to spend your money. Finiky (sp) items like electronics, I'd always go with the top brands such as MSD and autometer.

It's an item by item basis for me. If I believe it is a critical part, I'll spend the money on the top notch item. If its not, I may buy the generic version.

An interesting note, many of the generic brands (summit, jegs, ect) are actually made by the big name companies, but without their name on the box. Example, Summit brand camshafts are made by Crane.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the moroso wheel studs, not the ARP's

So far nobody has laughed at me.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have Simpson and G-Force stuff, it's all very similar. I got a cheaper helmet.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

I would say Simpson is probably the Nike of safety apparel and equipment. Bill Simpson did sell the company a while back and started a new company called Impact which also makes nice products. The other companies you mentioned and others mentioned here make good stuff too. We have run it all at some point in our dirt oval cars.