Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air filter removal and added airflow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default K&N air filter removal and added airflow?

Not something I wanna' do more than once, but, next time at the dragstrip (this week [weather permitting]), since my MAF is screened ... well, I'm doing a run with the K&N completely out of the car.

My intake setup is 90/90 with 85mm MAF and 85mm airlid and hood blockage at the bottom snorkels has been removed by cutting out 2 1/2" x 5 1/4" gaping slots from the fiberglass behind each of the bottom snorkels > WS9 ram air hood has the WS6 taller airbox and is sealed airtight around where the hood meets the airbox hole. I also put on the Fast Toys JAAM air plate.

Looking for someone who has done something similar to post any impovements in ET or MPH. Going from stock to K&N filter 5 years ago, the car responded a little better. With NO filter at all ... and all this other stuff done to the car ... has anyone seen improvements worth mentioning from doing a similar test?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my cone k&n filter off my cai and I gained 1 full mph but going by my read on the plugs it seemed to lean it out a fair bit also
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my K&N 2 weeks ago and ran back to back with and without it. Made NO difference whatsover, ET or MPH.
I ran with the SLP lid back in place, just without the filter. But I'm
pretty much stock.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I NEVER run an air filter. More air = more power. And yes, it is tuned without a filter.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt D
I NEVER run an air filter. More air = more power. And yes, it is tuned without a filter.
well in my case since it did lean it out a fair bit there is forsure alot more airflow there so maybe if I fatten it up a bit and I will run without one all the time since mine is a track only car anyway
Old 01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by troopercar
I pulled my K&N 2 weeks ago and ran back to back with and without it. Made NO difference whatsover, ET or MPH.
I ran with the SLP lid back in place, just without the filter. But I'm
pretty much stock.
Same here
Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Addict

Hopefully, the PCM will add a little more fuel to compensate for the added airflow and the car won't run too lean ... think I'll put a gallon of racing 110 octane in with the 1/4 tank of gas, to be safe.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 AM
TECH Junkie

I have always gained et and mph in the past when I have run without the filter.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt D
Ditching the filter full time?

Your always findings ways to shed a few pounds off that car
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

And good luck on the 10.80's. At a 2825 raceweight, you oughta' be gettin' real close.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by james562
Ditching the filter full time?

Your always findings ways to shed a few pounds off that car
I will throw a paper filter in there if I have to drive it on dirty roads or when it is dusty out, just so I don't get any dirt or dust up in the induction area. I have a '04 Z06 MAF, so no screen to catch that crap. But most of the time there is nothing in there but more air.

Haha, a pound or two here or there adds up. You'd be surprised how light the car is and looks stock in the inside, minus the seat swap. I still have all of the plastics and door panels.

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
And good luck on the 10.80's. At a 2825 raceweight, you oughta' be gettin' real close.
Thanks man. It is a lot of fun chasing the record and doing small things to tweak the car to where I want it. If I didn't strive for it, I would probably be bored and sell the car.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on a dyno i picked up absolutely nothing with no filter over my paper fram filter. im sure moving it may increase a hair but its not worth the risk imo. god forbid a rock gets kicked up and flys in there.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

If car is used as a DD, I would use a filter. The filter was designed for one purpose(any filter), FLOW CLEAN AIR.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW, i picked up 5 hp on the dyno by removing the lid and and filter. im speed density so there was no maf. just an open throttle body. next time at the track, im gonna throw a panty hose over the tb and run it like that. i suppose the same could work for a descreened maf.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Launching!

NO gain here!!! I tried it!!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

The dyno will not show any gains. I have tried SEVERAL times on the dyno with no change whatsoever. However, at the drag strip I ALWAYS gain 1 tenth and 1 mph from removing the air filter. If you have a ram air kit of any kind, even free ram air, then removing the filter allows more air flow as you go faster and faster down the strip. I'm not just talking about one track visit, more like twenty or thirty trips with the same results every time. I simply make a couple passes with the filter in and then remove the filter and immediately I pick up 5 hundreths to a tenth and right around 1 mph.

If you have free ram air or a ram air kit, try it and see for yourself.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
The dyno will not show any gains. I have tried SEVERAL times on the dyno with no change whatsoever. However, at the drag strip I ALWAYS gain 1 tenth and 1 mph from removing the air filter. If you have a ram air kit of any kind, even free ram air, then removing the filter allows more air flow as you go faster and faster down the strip. I'm not just talking about one track visit, more like twenty or thirty trips with the same results every time. I simply make a couple passes with the filter in and then remove the filter and immediately I pick up 5 hundreths to a tenth and right around 1 mph.

If you have free ram air or a ram air kit, try it and see for yourself.
Thank you. You beat me to it. There is no way to simulate the air flow with a dyno. The gains will be had at the track.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

That's all I care about is track gains ... real-world stuff ... there's a lot of velocity at 100+ mph. No way you could see zero gains at the track ,or at higher speeds out on the streets, by removing the filter ... stands to resaon IMO. UNLESS, of course you have a restricive intake, near stock cam, AND a restrictive exhaust ... even then you should see something. I'll post up tomorrow night if I make it to the track.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
That's all I care about is track gains ... real-world stuff ... there's a lot of velocity at 100+ mph. No way you could see zero gains at the track ,or at higher speeds out on the streets, by removing the filter ... stands to resaon IMO. UNLESS, of course you have a restricive intake, near stock cam, AND a restrictive exhaust ... even then you should see something. I'll post up tomorrow night if I make it to the track.
I'm NOT guessing, I'm not an internet poser. I'm at the track A LOT and play with everything (old habit from my earlier days). On MY stocker there was 0 gain at the track. Believe me, I was trying for a 12 sec pass while running consistant 13.06. didn't even make a .06 difference I think if a stock car makes an improvement then your filter was dirty. Mine is always clean to perfection and therefore not a restriction at my power level.

The guys above are hauling serious *** and therefore undoubtedly seeing a difference.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Troopercar > My cars not too shabby either. You don't know what airflow I have going on my car ... it's absolutely nowhere near stock. Check out my F-Quik page in my sig while I download the pics I took of the airflow I'll be looking at when I run the car tomorrow night. It's not your standard ram air setup.