Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traction

What is it going to take for me to get traction? I am running 245/50 nittos, and the best 60' I have pulled is 1.992. That was with 18psi. I later tried 15psi and could do no better than a 2.006. My best 60' on goodyear eagle gt 2s is 2.055. I would think the nittos would do much better. Tonight I went to the track for the street racing that they have once a month and the traction was horrible (due to the fact that there were no real cars laying any rubber down) I would launch at only 800 rpms, the tires would spin for a bit, I would feather the throttle long enough for it to hook up again, and then by the top of first the tires would break loose again, just before going into 2nd gear. My best pass all night was a 13.5 @ 107. One person recomened removing the front sway bar. will that help? Thanks for any help you guys can give..
Old 07-12-2003, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Traction

I hope you are heating the nittos really good and yes on the other site did recommend removing the front sway bar. Yes it will help trnsfer weight on launch.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

dont WOT the car right off the line. Stall up to like 1700 and ROLL into the gas really fast. Just try not to shock the tires to hard. Its more or less a crappy prepped track. But just try rollin into the gas as fast as possible(just dotn light up the tires~you want a slight spinning sound to let you know you are right at the max limit of pushing them)

ive cut 1.58's on 245/50/16 nittos. 18-19PSI, and a long 6-8second burnout up to the tree. I found that if i stopped my burnout and drove up to the tree the tires cool down and dont stick as well.

also i have yet to take off my front sway bar

but if you stall up it will make the shock a little less on the rear tires

just play around and try different things(have fun)
Old 07-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Yes I am heating the tires for about 10 seconds in 1st gear at about 4500-5000 rpms. I tried removing the sway bar last night that was when I had the worst traction ever. I think it was mainly due to the fact that there was no track prep or much rubber being put down. I was just very disapointed and very surprised that it was breaking loose at the top of first gear, once I had it hooked up. What should I do to help the car hook. I am considering v6 springs in the rear and some 90/10 shocks in the front. What else can I do?
Old 07-12-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That track must have some serious bad traction for you not to hook up alittle. You dont even have a torque converter yet.Are you getting white smoke from your tires during your burnout,Just a suggestion try it out on the street and see if you hookup better.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

i think its just the track. Whats the name of the track you ran at? Mmaybe some of the others on here have been there and can comment on it also

try a different track or a better night when they prep it. Heck call them that day and ask if they prepped it good.

But LCA's help traction a little. Running 40-44PSI in the front tires helps weight transfer, but the biggest think to help traction is a light car. The more weight you can get out the better
Old 07-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Teching In

normally the track is pretty good. This is the same track that I was able to get the 2.055 60' time on street tires. There really was not any prep at all last night. The other track that I run is an 1/8th mile track, and the best 60' I have had there was 1.992 on the nittos. The highest I have been able to stall the converter is about 1300rpm, on the street tires. I will try picking it up a bit higher like you suggested, and not hitting the throttle quite as hard off the line. So far my best 60' came with a 900 rpm launch. Hopefully next time I go, I can get it right. Thanks for your help guys. Bye the way the 1/4 mile track is Bradenton Motorsports Complex, in Bradenton Florida
Old 07-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I don't know about the F-bodys but the Nittos blow on the Vette compared to the BFGs. If you have/make a friend at the track who has BFGs, maybe you can borrow his BFGs for a run and see what you think. I'm happy running the BFG D/R on 17" Z06 fronts w/ 15psi. Consistent 1.7x 60's all day.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hear ya obrien. on stock tires i could pull a 1.9 every now and then but on nitto's im lucky to get 2.1. i have also found that i hook better on the street(no burnout) than at the track(with burnout) so the first thing i would do is talk to an official about track preperation. also, bfg's are ALOT stickier than nittos. they also happen to wear out faster so i would only use them AT the track. the nittos are more of a street tire where as bfg's are more of a track tire
Old 07-16-2003, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Test and tune.

Put the tires at 20psi, and then do a 5-6 second burnout.

Stall the motor up at the line as high as you can, probably 1200, and then when you want to go take your foot off the brake and slowly get into the gas. Keep doing that, only get into the gas faster and faster until your 60ft worsens.

Honestly with stock motor, and stock weight I'd think a low 1.8 is the goal.

I drove an 00 a4, with cutout, ftra, lid, filter, stock rims and tires, in great early spring air to a 12.85@110mph. I footed it up and got a little spin off the line and the car flew. My first pass in it was a 13.03. The owner took my approach and after a few passes he ran a 12.80!

Unless your air is completely shitty you should go 12.9's.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

I agree that BFGs are a lot better traction than nittos, but they do wear out quick on the street.

Jordan