Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom shop built rearmount

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom shop built rearmount

Hey guys Im building a rearmount for my 02 z28 automatic stock ls1 car, As of right now i have headers n a 2.73 gear. Im taking the headers off an putting stock manifolds back on, What size ypipe an Ipipe should I run to the rearmount turbo? Where should I put my wideband sensor on this setup? I have my rearmount oil pump, turbo, wastegate, bov, intercooler, injectors, walbro intank 255lph pump, some oil lines, Whatelse do i need for this? Can the pump run high speed all the time when the car is running? even on long trips? Dont I need like a valve to put in the line to keep oil from puddling in the turbo with the engine off? Anyone to a self contained setup in the rer of the car for the turbo oil supply? Im not new to the front mount turbo stuff but the rearmounts im new on. Thanks guys for the help. Let me know if there i anything im needing to help this be more a breeze, I know I have to wrap all the pipes aswell.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm changing my 3in to 2.5 right now. I have a larger ci but it still has a spooling problem. I just found a thread about this. The Zombie rear mount turbo saga . This has info I've been looking for almost a year.
Also, hook your pump to the fuel pump trigger wire and let it run when fuel pump runs. I've had no prblem with puddling oil.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup. 2.5" Y then into a 2.5" charge pipe for the turbo, parts list looks pretty good, you can do a self contained oil system although few have done it.

You will need a check valve in the oil feed line going to the turbo, I may have one if you need it. Also wouldn't hurt to pick up some header wrap.

Pump will probably be okay to run at full all the time, where are you going to return it to?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Superslow I will pm you on the valve, If I dont do the self contained, Im going to return it to the front cover i believe. Thats where Ive always put my returns on front mounts. So far pretty good luck with it. Also thanks guys on the info i was looking for, So I should run a 2 1/2 inch ypipe, Into what size ipipe? 2 1/2? That seems kinda small doesnt it? I was thinking a 2 1/2 y with the rest being 3inch, an the charge pipe off the turbo 2 1/2? But yall know more than me on the rearmount so i just wanna make sure I read this right. Thanks again guys
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 2.5 custom Y in to the stock I on my Z and have no issues.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
Pump will probably be okay to run at full all the time, where are you going to return it to?
Is there a problem returning to the pan?

What are you guys tending to run for turbo size for these things on basically stockish motors? Just curious, I've never really looked into rear mounts much and know sizing has got to be a ton different. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

now kenny, don't be cheatin!

should I buy this truck exactly like your pops' and throw a t70 on it for giggles? or buy a car and the truck. hmm

holler at me so I can help when you start putting this crap on
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, Id get one like daddys way more comfortable, turbo that beiiiotch. Yea i need to get started on the kit badly. I just got it back from paint sunday.

Quick Reply: Custom shop built rearmount