Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boosting a 347(newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosting a 347(newbie)

Hey guys i've been looking around ALOT and i've decided its time for me to go into boost. im currently going to be running a 347 buy the end of winter, im getting my rebuild from texas speed. i have done alot of research and found the i will be running an sts kit.

the reason im posting this thread is because i have a few questions about boost as i am still a newb.

1) how well does the stock crank do on boosted motors? I plan on upgrading rods and bolts...

2) im currently running prc 5.3 heads, i was told i should switch heads but im not sure what to replace them with? everyone says the 5.3's increase compression so thats pointless for a boosted motor...

3) will my bbk intake manifold work with a boosted motor, because i also plan on spraying my nitrous with boost. nothin insane maybe a 100shot at most....

4)looking into sts kits, i was told i need to do something about the oil system what exactly does that mean? as well as running an intercooler, is there anyone that makes intercoolers for a rear mount?

all in all i should be able to be finished with my build at the end of this up coming summer, hopefully i can get some videos up and pictures of the build will its in process
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also what boost gauge would most people recommend.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

STS should have a inner cooler as well as oil solution.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
Hey guys i've been looking around ALOT and i've decided its time for me to go into boost. im currently going to be running a 347 buy the end of winter, im getting my rebuild from texas speed. i have done alot of research and found the i will be running an sts kit.

the reason im posting this thread is because i have a few questions about boost as i am still a newb.

1) how well does the stock crank do on boosted motors? I plan on upgrading rods and bolts...

Not really an issue unless you are going for huge numbers....

2) im currently running prc 5.3 heads, i was told i should switch heads but im not sure what to replace them with? everyone says the 5.3's increase compression so thats pointless for a boosted motor...

Yea 5.3s will up the CR over stockers, 317s will drop it. Course, that being said, you can always just change pistons for the right CR since you are building it up anyway...

3) will my bbk intake manifold work with a boosted motor, because i also plan on spraying my nitrous with boost. nothin insane maybe a 100shot at most....

If you blow the intake up you have other issues...

4)looking into sts kits, i was told i need to do something about the oil system what exactly does that mean? as well as running an intercooler, is there anyone that makes intercoolers for a rear mount?

Dont know enough about STS stuff to answer this one...

all in all i should be able to be finished with my build at the end of this up coming summer, hopefully i can get some videos up and pictures of the build will its in process
Good luck!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Id take talk to Josh at Kentucky Turbo about getting you setup with a kit vs the STS. With a front mount, you can just tap the oil pan or timing chain cover for your oil drain. Theres a pressurized oil port just above the oil filter for a feed.

With an STS kit, because the turbo is so far back you need a pump to get the oil to the turbo and another pump(i believe) to get the drain to work.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i really want to stick sts for the price i can upgrade it as i go, im really set on a rear mount
Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, you should really talk to Josh at KYTP or Modular Turbo, both have kits that are roughly the same price(if not cheaper), will be more responsive than a rear mount and are fully upgradable. You will get more out of a front mount in the long run IMO
Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hahaha you where right i just went to there website and found the standard kit from kenturcky turbo, 37000+ shipping cant beat that. but my only questions is how well would it be on taking road trips with a front mount turbo?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Alot better than a rear mount. lol. If done right a front mount wont hinder much of anything but you need to also think about all the extra things like your transmission, rear end, pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, etc. All of these are needed(for the most part) to run a turbo'd car reliably.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Alot better than a rear mount. lol. If done right a front mount wont hinder much of anything but you need to also think about all the extra things like your transmission, rear end, pushrods, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, etc. All of these are needed(for the most part) to run a turbo'd car reliably.
or just keep the boost low, less than about 8psi.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump,,,, i also would like to know how easy are the kentucky turbo kits to install? and will 317's fit on an ls1 stock block???
Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The STS rear mounts kits have so many issues with them, that I would stay away from them. Why do the oem companies mount the turbo as close to the heat source as they do, surely it would be much easier to mount the turbo downstream? The reason is the heat helps to spool the turbo. That is why exhaust manifolds work better with an STS kit than headers, as the headers lose more heat through all the tubes. This is also why wrapping all the exhaust on an STS equipped vehicle helps to spool the turbo. I haven't been on STS's website for some time, but they had posted that heat doesn't help to spool a turbo, they were full of it on a lot of what they had posted.
Don't run cats with a turbo mounted behind them, as cats like to spit out their guts from time to time, and these pieces will ruin a turbo. I've personally seen it happen.
The STS oil return system leaves a lot to be desired. Unless they have changed it, it runs back into the passenger valvecover. The connection they used has a habit of coming apart, which can cause oil to pour all over that side of the engine.

If you are going to run a turbo system, Josh at Kentucky Turbo is who I would go with. I don't know how easy they are to install, but he will be there for you if you need help.

Will 317's fit on a stock LS1? Yes. Bob
Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess honestly the only thing that scares me is having to fab ****!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

My old boost car made 867rwhp with an 8:1 348 cid engine using a stock crank.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my STS opinion is my signature. and when coupled with a built motor, rearmounts can do pretty darn well... you can't just bolt it up and expect the world to change. in the end regardless of what route you take, it's all about how much $$$$ your willing to spend the the outcome you desire

this is 98Z28CobraKiller little rear-mount turbo... https://ls1tech.com/forums/12476516-post75.html
Old 11-22-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The STS rear mounts kits have so many issues with them, that I would stay away from them. Why do the oem companies mount the turbo as close to the heat source as they do, surely it would be much easier to mount the turbo downstream? The reason is the heat helps to spool the turbo. That is why exhaust manifolds work better with an STS kit than headers, as the headers lose more heat through all the tubes. This is also why wrapping all the exhaust on an STS equipped vehicle helps to spool the turbo. I haven't been on STS's website for some time, but they had posted that heat doesn't help to spool a turbo, they were full of it on a lot of what they had posted.
Don't run cats with a turbo mounted behind them, as cats like to spit out their guts from time to time, and these pieces will ruin a turbo. I've personally seen it happen.
The STS oil return system leaves a lot to be desired. Unless they have changed it, it runs back into the passenger valvecover. The connection they used has a habit of coming apart, which can cause oil to pour all over that side of the engine.

If you are going to run a turbo system, Josh at Kentucky Turbo is who I would go with. I don't know how easy they are to install, but he will be there for you if you need help.

Will 317's fit on a stock LS1? Yes. Bob
so i should look into buying lq9 heads then?

does anyone know anything about fabbing on the kentucky standard kit, i am currently NOT running a/c or a heater core....
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

If you wait another month or so you can come by and look at my setup. I live in newton and i'm doing a custom front mount setup. I have a forged 347 I was gonna run but chose to go with a lower compression 408. shooting for 800-1000rwhp this year.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not go with an sts system. the whole point of turbocharging a car is to make power as efficiently as possible, and by placing the turbo in the back the whole point is killed.

just save money for a proper turbo system, it will be cheaper for you then buying an sts system, installing it, being unhappy with it and buying another system.

if money is a big issue, i would go with a procharger, you will be much happier with it then the sts system.

as far as the heads go, you need to get as big of a combustion chamber as possible. a 72cc 317 head would be the best bang for the buck. you can get a set for 150 bucks
you want a big combustion chamber because it will be less prone to preignite fuel then the same motor with the same CR but with different piston (to compensate for the decrease in the combustion chamber cc's)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elias_799
do not go with an sts system. the whole point of turbocharging a car is to make power as efficiently as possible, and by placing the turbo in the back the whole point is killed.

just save money for a proper turbo system, it will be cheaper for you then buying an sts system, installing it, being unhappy with it and buying another system.

if money is a big issue, i would go with a procharger, you will be much happier with it then the sts system.

as far as the heads go, you need to get as big of a combustion chamber as possible. a 72cc 317 head would be the best bang for the buck. you can get a set for 150 bucks
you want a big combustion chamber because it will be less prone to preignite fuel then the same motor with the same CR but with different piston (to compensate for the decrease in the combustion chamber cc's)
i really appreciate the help, but the only thing that would make me buy the sts is the simple fact that i can keep the engine bay nice and spacious.

it just seems like front mounts/superchargers, are really packed and i wouldnt mind having an sts that way it will be easier for me to work on the motor if the time comes...
Old 11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the procharger systems is not that packed actually. talk to bob at epp before you buy any system, he will be able to help you out.