Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil in my intake! Front mount turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in my intake! Front mount turbo...

I have an 01 SS with an Ls1, front mount t67 garrett. I pulled the intake to fix a gasket problem the other day and noticed that there was a coating of oil in the intake. I dont have the PCV system hooked up and my intake charge pipe is clean. Where could this be coming from? Im starting to blow some smoke out of my exhaust also. Any Ideas?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows your drain for the turbo? and did you clean the intake befor u put the turbo on?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssbandit158
I have an 01 SS with an Ls1, front mount t67 garrett. I pulled the intake to fix a gasket problem the other day and noticed that there was a coating of oil in the intake. I dont have the PCV system hooked up and my intake charge pipe is clean. Where could this be coming from? Im starting to blow some smoke out of my exhaust also. Any Ideas?
Hum??? No PCV Hooked up!and intake charge pipe is clean ?This could have been in there from when you did have the PCV hooked up before you installed the turbo.If not,, maybe your still getting it threw your intake pipe and its just collecting in the intake then the charge pipe and just isnt that noticable in the intake pipe.(Maybe a really small amount of oil mist) Ide just wait alittle while and pull the intake in a few months of driveing and see what it looks like. If theres oil again !Ide have to lean towards a turbo inlet seal if there is any more oil build up in the intake

Last edited by barnat; 11-30-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah this whole situation is weird, I'm getting smoke out of my exhaust and I have no idea where from. The oil could be collecting in the intake I suppose but I figured I would at least have a litte film on the charge piping. Also the intake was clean prior to install, I bought an aftermarket BBK SSI intake.. I'm hoping it's the turbo seals and not something bad with my pistons or valves. I only have about 500 miles on this setup and 80k on the shortblock.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

The drain for the turbo is gravity fed to to the oil pan. I did not have a smoking issue until Sunday with my current setup. I'm just worried I may have fried a ring or piston, but I had It properly tuned before using the boost, although now sometimes it spikes pretty high. I have it set at 10psi and I've seen it get to 14 once or twice on my boost recall.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssbandit158
The drain for the turbo is gravity fed to to the oil pan. I did not have a smoking issue until Sunday with my current setup. I'm just worried I may have fried a ring or piston, but I had It properly tuned before using the boost, although now sometimes it spikes pretty high. I have it set at 10psi and I've seen it get to 14 once or twice on my boost recall.
Maybe take a quart or so out of the oil pan just to make sure that the turbos definatly draining (UNRESTRICTED) first!! beings its a gravity setup!
Actually,,,LOL On my APS gravity drain setup!I found out by accident mind you LOLthat with the oil pan level,,,when i removed the drain hose on my passanger side while changing out the turbo LOL I ended up looseing a 1/2 a quart of oil out that side all over my garage floor LOL So maybe disconnect the drain hose from your pan and make sure its high enough. Because the oil has to drain apoun shut down too or it will collect in the turbo and smoke apoun starting and what have you too

Last edited by barnat; 12-01-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by barnat
Maybe take a quart or so out of the oil pan just to make sure that the turbos definatly draining (UNRESTRICTED) first!! beings its a gravity setup!
Actually,,,LOL On my APS gravity drain setup!I found out by accident mind you LOLthat with the oil pan level,,,when i removed the drain hose on my passanger side while changing out the turbo LOL I ended up looseing a 1/2 a quart of oil out that side all over my garage floor LOL So maybe disconnect the drain hose from your pan and make sure its high enough. Because the oil has to drain apoun shut down too or it will collect in the turbo and smoke apoun starting and what have you too
I will pull my return line and make sure its high enough, I think it is but hey it never hurts to check.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

are you sure its oil residue and not gasoline residue? the high pressure shockwave ( the white ring that goes out in vids of bombs going off) from the valves slamming shut can send fuel that far up the intake sometimes, its not that uncommon.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 AM
Staging Lane

Well It didnt smell like gas and didnt evaporate after sitting overnight so Im quite sure it was oil. Thanks for the input though, Im very baffeled as to what it could be.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^no thats not what im talking about. Ever pulled a set of high millage heads and seen the black tar-like resin in the intake runners? its always much worse on carbed motors cuz the fuel goes all the way through the intake, ls motors you can see it mainly in the bottom of the runner starting directly below the injector. its also in a Teepee shape around the stem of the intake valve if its REALLY high millage, it doesnt smell like gas and will never evaporate. ive got some heads layin around ill shoot a pic if you want, everytime i have to clean it off i soak the heads in oven cleaner and it usually still wont get it all off

is the EVAP still hooked up on the driver side right behind the TB?
How heavy is the coating? like soaked or light misting? built up more in any particular areas?
are you running conventional or synthetic oil? synthetic doesnt burn the same so it would be more liquid like

now im super curious lol
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

double post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

My current motor only has 500 miles on it minus the rotating assembly which has 80k. So the heads, intake, valves, springs, and valve seals all have only 500 miles on them. I dont have the pvc or the evap hooked up. Im runnning synthetic mobil 1. So do you think 500 miles is long enough to build up residue in the intake? Im pretty mechanically inclined so im almost certain its oil but Im always open to anything anyone has to say. It has to be coming from somewhere, I am completely stumped!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

The crank case is not vented well enough.

Pressure is building in the crank case forceing oil past the rings and high
exhaust back pressure is pushing that oil into the intake during valve ovelap.

The oil will also make the motor more sensitive to detination.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What sort of heads ? ported ?

most ported heads will have a hole in the intake port where porting has gone through the rocker mounting bolt hole.

During engine assembly it is important to use thread sealer on the rocker mount bolts above inlet ports or oil will be sucked down the threads into the intake ports.

What have you done for crankcase ventilation ?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnv
What sort of heads ? ported ?

most ported heads will have a hole in the intake port where porting has gone through the rocker mounting bolt hole.

During engine assembly it is important to use thread sealer on the rocker mount bolts above inlet ports or oil will be sucked down the threads into the intake ports.

What have you done for crankcase ventilation ?
I used locktite on the rocker bolts when I installed them, and my crankcase is currently vented to atmosphere until I can get a catch can. So you think not having PVC will make it smoke even at idle?