Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Oil Smoke During Shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo Oil Smoke During Shift

I know I have seen this problem before but I cant fine a definitive answer to why, or how to fix it. I have noticed that any time the car comes into boost as soon as I shift I get a puff of blue smoke out the exhaust, never during excel or really during decel just when I first take my foot off the gas.

All the info is on my sig. or in the build thread linked in my sig. But as of right now I dont have a PCV system to speak of, I mean the factory system is still on the car I already plan to put in push in breathers in the valve covers. Will that be enough or is there another oil drain issue that needs to be addressed?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have breathers and a catch can on mine and it does the same thing. Its not oil in my case its fuel.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I have breathers and a catch can on mine and it does the same thing. Its not oil in my case its fuel.
Like black rich fuel smoke? Mine is most Def. Blue oil smoke.

How did you run breathers and a catch can, kind of thought you could do one or the other.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Oh its a breather on the catch can with both valve covers vented to it plus my ls6 valley. My vac source is from my elbow on the vic jr. Sorry for the typo its one breather. But yeah its light puff only inbetween shifts. Car dosnet use a lick of oil since the pcv upgrade, But befor it would use 1 quart every 1k or more.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, and bump for more ideas
Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got the call, Tune date is 2 weeks march 6th .. would love to have this ironed out before then
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Were there new valve seals on the heads you put on? I had this problem once before it it turned out being valve seals
Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes new seals when the springs went on, But I would think if it were the seals it would do it under throttle too?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Launching!

you would think but actually it does it when you are off the throttle. If i drove mine over 4k rpm and let off it would start to smoke, and inbetween shifts. But if you put new seals in then that shouldnt be the problem. Do you have a check valve to keep from pressurizing the crankcase on one of your pcv hoses?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chase3
you would think but actually it does it when you are off the throttle. If i drove mine over 4k rpm and let off it would start to smoke, and inbetween shifts. But if you put new seals in then that shouldnt be the problem. Do you have a check valve to keep from pressurizing the crankcase on one of your pcv hoses?
As of right now, no I dont have anything anywhere as far as the pcv system going, im reading thread after thread trying to find the best working system for "street" cars. I have a vented catch can, but havent installed it yet I just dont know what configuration works best.

Right now I am thinking about just plugging the intake TB and running the valve covers to the catch can. Any help on this would be great!

Quick Reply: Turbo Oil Smoke During Shift