Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

buy a used kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default buy a used kit?

hey guys, i was planning on doing an n20 setup. after pricing it all out with accessories it came to 1500. then i take bottle fills into account over lets say 3 years and im about the same cost if not higher than a used turbo kit.

so my main question is do you think buying a used kit is a smart idea? my main concern is buying a kit that is no longer in production so if i have any problems there is no one to turn to. whats the cost of a pt series turbo to be rebuilt? anything else in the kit that might go bad?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran nitrous for the longest time...odds are you'll eventually get bored with it and go FI anyway, so you may as well just skip to the end result

The best thing you can do at this point is read up on here till you go cross-eyed. There are quite a few different ways you can go: DIY build, hot parts-only kit, full kit, front mount, rear mount, etc. The best way to figure out what you want is to research.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Well man every one goes bigger so go on results... i sold my old set up and made a new one cause of power levels wanted..
Old 04-06-2010, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a used kit and it helped off set the cost of all the extra stuff that is needed to do the install properly. I got a good deal because the previous owner upgraded many parts. All the little stuff adds up like fuel system, guages, v band clamps and more.

As for a kit that is no longer made, that is not a big deal because every piece that makes up a kit was made by hand by someone in the first place. If anything breaks or needs to be modified can be fixed/fabricated to your specs by any decent industrial machine shop (or do it yourself).
Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Anyone else?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well..not really that much unique parts in most turbo kits. If the turbos and standard then you are mostly looking at piping,intercooler,clamps, couplers, blow offs, gates.oil feed and return lines and fittings, coolant lines and fittings,exhaust manifolds/turbo headers,downpipes.

On my aps slightly worried maybe exhaust manifolds would crack and not be able to replace them. The turbos are just mits 20gs very common turbo.Well the aps 20g are likely knockoffs you can read the many aps threads but you can upgrade them pretty easily although it can cost big money to go to ones like my LG upgrades.

Now some kits have their own problems. Some exhaust manifolds particularly log type can crack. And as said many little things could be fabricated or you could substitue other brands for things like gates,blow offs,etc. Turbos are not really very complicated .
But fitment is very important in cars as tight as fourth gens. Especially in twin kits.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Anyone have anything to comment on the old ground zero kits?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vader TA
Anyone have anything to comment on the old ground zero kits?
i think i have the only one made..john phame at phamespeed, back then did the kit with ground zero. they made it with heaver gauge stainless so no cracking at all.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

jason, you ever get those pictures?

Quick Reply: buy a used kit?