Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What is a good size turbo for 6.0 swap? (plus more questions needing answers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is a good size turbo for 6.0 swap? (plus more questions needing answers)

I need help

I have nearly tripled the RWHP in my car just by ditching the bone stock 305 and dropping in a heads/cam 6.0 LS motor...and I still want more. :o

I have been finding some really good deals on complete 3rd gens on craigslist in my area, and there is some money to be had in parting them out. I'm thinking about parting a few cars out and building a turbo kit for my car.

So my questions are:

-What is a good size single turbo for a stock cube 6.0?

-What brands are good, what are things to watch out for when looking at used parts, etc.?

-Will a generic intercooler be sufficient or am I going to need something uber-high dollar?

-Does anyone have connections with getting tubing built, especially with the manifolds?

-Are 42# injectors, and a single Walbro 255lph pump sufficient for a single turbo?

And probably my most important question that will really determing whether I want to invest in this project is....

-Will a turbo work decently with my cam? (Texas Speed MS4 239/242, .649"/.609" 111 LSA)

I'm kind of thinking that if the cam isn't going to behave nicely with a single turbo, then I'm going to put this on hold for a few years and just enjoy the mid-400hp range for a while. If you think that it will do alright, I may have to start sourcing out parts and selling 3rd gen parts to pay for it. Perhaps this could be a winter project for me.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Alsways loved the car! was happy to see you upgraded the TPI hahah

Im building a 6.0 right now also.

I would say go with a 76mm plus, If you wanna move your rad and do some modifications go with an S400 series turbo, they are cheap and make Huge power.

You could always use an ebay 31x12x3 or 4inch intercooler, many guys on theturboforums use them including myself, and I made 600whp through a 3inch thick one.

Also you should do the same fuel setup I run, 60#ers and dual walbro 255's.

A single walbro 255 will run out around the 450whp mark.

Also If I end up building a set of headers I will be in contact with you and possibly make a second set.

Hope this helps ya.

Jay
Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Launching!

That would be awesome, thanks!

What's the easiest way to make the fuel system a dual pump system?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELL YEAH NICK! Now I'm definitely coming to steal your car!!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill get some more pics of my dual setup.

Basically I took another 255 and clamped it to the other one using rubber in between them, then ran another -6an line to the top of the sending unit.

Ran dual -6an to a single -8an, then did a -6an return, which im switching to a -8an return at the moment haha

Also make sure to run the second pump on a hobs or window switch so it only comes on my rpm or boost lever so that you dont heat them up too much.

Jay
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Hell yea. Vert w/ 6.0l turbo! Well on my swap I'm running an ls1. I picked up a e-bay 31x12x4 intercooler. I'm also gonna pick up a turbonetics tc78 just for room to grow. From what I've read 60lb/inj is what everyone is using for 5.3/ls1/6.0l builds. You need to check out Maxxmitchels build. Its on here. Came out pretty good. Love to know what manifolds he used. He doesn't even know. He said he tried several pair. Are you gonna build a log or use forward facing manifolds?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

- Tc76 or Tc78
- Ebay Intercooler will be fine....for now
- Use Truck manifolds cheap and efficient
- Run 60# injectors and Dual Walboro pumps

You'll be good for now, until you upgrade
Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

I've heard truck manifolds wont fit between the frame rails. What size BOV and wastegate?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Launching!

What he said ^^

I have a set of truck manifolds at my house but didn't think they'd fit. Maybe some fbody manifolds would be good?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

I've also heard that the F-body manifold flipped in the driver side hits the steering gearbox. Maybe Truck manifolds with V-bands welded on?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueZee28
I need help

I have nearly tripled the RWHP in my car just by ditching the bone stock 305 and dropping in a heads/cam 6.0 LS motor...and I still want more. :o

I have been finding some really good deals on complete 3rd gens on craigslist in my area, and there is some money to be had in parting them out. I'm thinking about parting a few cars out and building a turbo kit for my car.

So my questions are:

-What is a good size single turbo for a stock cube 6.0?
PT76

-What brands are good, what are things to watch out for when looking at used parts, etc.?
Precision, shaft play

-Will a generic intercooler be sufficient or am I going to need something uber-high dollar?
Ebay one seems to work well, Also it helps to use meth inj.

-Does anyone have connections with getting tubing built, especially with the manifolds?
You should be able to run the 6.0 truck manifolds

-Are 42# injectors, and a single Walbro 255lph pump sufficient for a single turbo?
42# are limited to 575 - 600 rwhp. At the minimum you should go with 60# injectors. I'd go to twins 255s and control pump two with a hobbs switch.

And probably my most important question that will really determing whether I want to invest in this project is....

-Will a turbo work decently with my cam? (Texas Speed MS4 239/242, .649"/.609" 111 LSA)
I'd switch cams, when I had the ms4, it was very lazy till 4k plus. Also you want more like 114 LSA +.

I'm kind of thinking that if the cam isn't going to behave nicely with a single turbo, then I'm going to put this on hold for a few years and just enjoy the mid-400hp range for a while. If you think that it will do alright, I may have to start sourcing out parts and selling 3rd gen parts to pay for it. Perhaps this could be a winter project for me.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jay_rich
Ill get some more pics of my dual setup.

Basically I took another 255 and clamped it to the other one using rubber in between them, then ran another -6an line to the top of the sending unit.

Ran dual -6an to a single -8an, then did a -6an return, which im switching to a -8an return at the moment haha

Also make sure to run the second pump on a hobs or window switch so it only comes on my rpm or boost lever so that you dont heat them up too much.

Jay
Originally Posted by BlueZee28
What he said ^^

I have a set of truck manifolds at my house but didn't think they'd fit. Maybe
some fbody manifolds would be good?
nick I'm pretty sure I still have my stock ls1 manifolds if those will even work. If you want me to check PM me on z28 and I'll look for you

Quick Reply: What is a good size turbo for 6.0 swap? (plus more questions needing answers)