Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Max boost - min compression?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Max boost - min compression?

Building a pump gas, twin turbo iron 408. It will have all the good ARP fasteners and forged internals. The car will have beefed up auto and 9" ford rear. The car will be mostly street, but I want great drag potential with a tire swap at the strip. Shooting for 800-900hp at the flywheel on pump gas.

I'm trying to determine a good max boost - min compression combination. I don't want to o-ring the heads.

BTW, I tried a search, but it's tough finding specific answers sometimes.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a 9:1 CR with 10PSI of boost and you should see around 900 Crank HP with premium pump fuel. I've run 14PSI on pump gas with the plugs looking just fine. I'm 8.9:1 CR.

Make sure you have Turbos big enough to keep your back pressure down and your air flow up.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
Run a 9:1 CR with 10PSI of boost and you should see around 900 Crank HP with premium pump fuel. I've run 14PSI on pump gas with the plugs looking just fine. I'm 8.9:1 CR.

Make sure you have Turbos big enough to keep your back pressure down and your air flow up.
Thanks. I was anticipating more boost than that, but 10psi would be very nice on the street. I was thinking twin 60-1 turbos. Good call?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by general23cmp
Thanks. I was anticipating more boost than that, but 10psi would be very nice on the street. I was thinking twin 60-1 turbos. Good call?
depending on the a/r

i would talk to a couple of sponsors on this forum to get an exact spec of the turbo that will work for you

forced inductions and modular turbo are a good start
Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by general23cmp
I ran the numbers based on 67's.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
depending on the a/r

i would talk to a couple of sponsors on this forum to get an exact spec of the turbo that will work for you

I've tried to find cars that modular turbo had built and can't find crap about them. Go with someone who actually has built multiple test cases for the setup you're looking for. Their website looks cookie cutter and no shop cars in there speaking of big verified numbers.

I'd speak with Speed Inc. instead.
http://www.speedinc.com/turbo.cfm
They have kits they've developed ready for sale.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
depending on the a/r

You mention forced inductions? Is that the same Ohio forced inductions that went out of business in this link?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...974-o-f-i.html

What are you trying to do to this guy?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF are you taking about ?

forcedinductions is a trusted sponsor on this site and no it is not OFI, i have no idea how you came to that

as far as the modular turbo comment, he does not need to build any cars, he is a turbo retailer, the reason i have suggested him is because he can work out what turbo will work best just by doing a simple calculation and get the guy in a proper direction
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah did a search for Forced inductions and came up with only one hit on here. I looked again with forcedinduction (one word) and found who you're talking about.

Lot's of good info there for sure. They have a bunch of kits they made. Should definitely be a good source.

Modular Turbo is currently building a kit. I dont see much on their website of previous builds and test mules. I personally believe you need to have built a few in order to truly answer the question of a potential custom turbo build.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

kentucky turbo can give good advice too, along with several members on here, NavyDavidSS ran his with twins for a while, Tiago has a 427 with twin 76's, im sure a few other people can name more. modular turbo and Forced Inductions.com are also great places to start and both have givin great advice to a lot of awsome builds

Quick Reply: Max boost - min compression?