Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

painting the FMC black, would the air get hotter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation painting the FMC black, would the air get hotter?

Well im currently in the process of building an f1c fbody. i want a hurge front mount intercooler. the thing is that i dont want the front mount metal looking thing in front of the car to be so noticable when im driving or when someone is looking at the front of my car.

i was thinking a light coat of dust black (flat) black spray paint couldnt hurt. any opinions?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wont make a difference. You'll be fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
yes it will.

not by much, but it will still loose some efficiency

i have seen people do this, after a while when you on the highway, from time to time a small rock hits the intercooler and takes the black paint off, and then it looks like ****
Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could also have the intercooler black anodized which should be more efficient than painting it, but also more expensive.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by elias_799
yes it will.

not by much, but it will still loose some efficiency

i have seen people do this, after a while when you on the highway, from time to time a small rock hits the intercooler and takes the black paint off, and then it looks like ****
Depending on what you paint it with....

My dad actually owns a ceramic coating/ powder coating biz that ive spent a few years working in now. Different materials have different applications; there are thermal barriers which can be used on exhaust, as well as thermal dispersants. By sand blasting the surface of an intercooler, you can actually double the amount of surface area it has, a flat surface looks like __ <-- that flat spot there. if you profile it, on a microscopic level its goes from _ to /\ effectively increasing surface area. Spray a thermal dispersant on it that has a higher heat transfer rate, and it will actually improve efficiancy by shedding heat faster. This can be done at shops in black... not really what you had in mind, but another option. We do it on rear end housings, transmission casings, radiators/ intercoolers etc.

But uh... if you just spray black paint on it, you might lose a teeny bit of cooling. Nothing huge.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dimetweaker

My dad actually owns a ceramic coating/ powder coating biz that ive spent a few years working in now. Different materials have different applications; there are thermal barriers which can be used on exhaust, as well as thermal dispersants. By sand blasting the surface of an intercooler, you can actually double the amount of surface area it has, a flat surface looks like __ <-- that flat spot there. if you profile it, on a microscopic level its goes from _ to /\ effectively increasing surface area. Spray a thermal dispersant on it that has a higher heat transfer rate, and it will actually improve efficiancy by shedding heat faster. This can be done at shops in black... not really what you had in mind, but another option. We do it on rear end housings, transmission casings, radiators/ intercoolers etc.

But uh... if you just spray black paint on it, you might lose a teeny bit of cooling. Nothing huge.

I always wondered about the Thermal dispersant type coatings. i readoa hot rod mag artical (online) about coatings and they mentioned these thermal pispersant coatings. I guess if they use a material with a VERY high rate of heat transfer then that should help pull more heat out the intercooler or rad. How much dose the coating cost inc sandblasting? how much for doing a transmission case? are there any other areas it could be used, maybe the block itself?..... how about on the cold side of a turbo? or the casing of a SC? how about inside water and oil ways in the engine (to help get the ehat out the block)?

Chris.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Eastwood sells a specific aerosol black for radiators etc. Its really thin and looks great, I used it on my radiator and intercooler.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
+1
From a heat transfer perspective the heat will have to transfer from one material to another (alum. to paint) by conduction and then out of the paint via convection. This loss will be offset by the fact that the radiant heat transfer will be MUCH better with the black coating. either way your talking about a very small difference in overall thermal coefficient.

If you want it black paint it black it’ll be fine. They make special paint for radiators, or maybe one of those coatings mentioned earlier in the post
Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Eastwood sells a specific aerosol black for radiators etc. Its really thin and looks great, I used it on my radiator and intercooler.
This is what I used on my radiator and FMIC as well. No problems. I used thin coats on the front-side only, hitting it from a couple angles. If you look closely you can see that the vast majority of the channel is still silver, but from the front, the rad and IC pretty much disappear, which is what I wanted.

I haven't had any chip off either, but I do run a coarse screen over the FMIC opening area to prevent big stuff from coming in.

Jim
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

a guy once told me about getting a very large set of panty hose and pulling them over the IC before installing it. idk if it actually works. i figured it would restrict air flow.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

My powder coater actually told me that they have a new powercoating or special paint that actually helps the intercooler with heat disapation and protects the intercooler at the same time from oxidizing or corroding
Old 05-14-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

the other problem i see with a none flat surface is you actually end up with a very thin layer of air between the metal and the moving air. This would REDUCE the efftiveness of the intercooler.

So you man a miror smooth finish as this provents air 'sticking' to the intercooler and ensures the air acutally travles ove rthe IC material not the air 'sticking' to it.

Chris.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just use radiator paint and don't overdue it.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuntington101
the other problem i see with a none flat surface is you actually end up with a very thin layer of air between the metal and the moving air. This would REDUCE the efftiveness of the intercooler.

So you man a miror smooth finish as this provents air 'sticking' to the intercooler and ensures the air acutally travles ove rthe IC material not the air 'sticking' to it.

Chris.
now I think this is taking it a little far....
Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

now I think this is taking it a little far....
Yeah i know! lol i just cant help it sometimes.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as long as you only paint the front and not the inside of the fins, the forward facing edge of the fin doesnt really cool much, its the air running thru along the fin that pulls the heat out.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Small sacrifices need to be made for a street car. I'd rather loose a little cooling and know that my setup is much harder to see. It will draw less attention from police and thieves. I prefer sleepers.

On the other hand some people like attention by having ridiculously loud exhaust, 5in cowl hoods and shiny stuff everywhere.

It's a matter of taste and what kind of machine you're building.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
Small sacrifices need to be made for a street car. I'd rather loose a little cooling and know that my setup is much harder to see. It will draw less attention from police and thieves. I prefer sleepers.

On the other hand some people like attention by having ridiculously loud exhaust, 5in cowl hoods and shiny stuff everywhere.

It's a matter of taste and what kind of machine you're building.

i agree.

Quick Reply: painting the FMC black, would the air get hotter?