Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need some help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help..

hey guys whats up im new to the site and i have some questions, i just got my first turbo car about a week ago. its a 99 z28 m6. it has a thunder racing cam 224/230 561/576 on a 111 lsa, and ported 853 heads and i think some valve work. it also has diamond pistons (street/strip is what it says). and pacesetter longtube and wires. stock ls6 intake and ls6 injectors he said... also it had arp head bolts and some other things.. only problem is i dont know about the compression until i check. It has a intercooled sts kit w/meth(but not hooked up). anyways the guy i bought it from said it made 500/500 at the wheels on 4 pounds, he showed me the dyno sheet but you can get one of those anywhere so idk. He said it was tuned by a innovative program on the computer and idk if thats good or not.. and it does have a MAF sensor ( i heard that wasnt to great with turbos). Anyways car runs clean and sounds great it just doesnt feel near like 500whp... i had a all motor ws6 with 430whp and it doesnt feel near as fast as that.. but it was all motor and had 4.10s so idk if its a diff. feel with this car or if somethins wrong.. i need some input please. sorry its such a long message
Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

My car doesnt feel like its 500whp(actually 485) either but it is. Im running 8psi on stock motor though, Im sure that cam will help out a good bit. Im pretty sure my clutch was slipping on the 1 good run I had too. Why is he only running 4psi? Seems like its awful low
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stock injectors would be well and truly maxed out at that power level, unless he was relying on the meth for additional fuel, which is not a great idea..

innovate would have been the wide band used for checking the airfuel ratio, more than likely would have been tuned using either EFIlive or HP tuners software.

4 psi is quite low, but might be set there due to running out of injector at any higher level.
with forged pistons and meth,12-15psi would be pretty safe if you have an intercooler and a fuel system up to the task.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnv
stock injectors would be well and truly maxed out at that power level, unless he was relying on the meth for additional fuel, which is not a great idea..

innovate would have been the wide band used for checking the airfuel ratio, more than likely would have been tuned using either EFIlive or HP tuners software.

4 psi is quite low, but might be set there due to running out of injector at any higher level.
with forged pistons and meth,12-15psi would be pretty safe if you have an intercooler and a fuel system up to the task.
well i took the meth kit off because i didnt want to mess with it because it wasnt even hooked up. and yes im sure the 4 psi is because of the injectors. and it has a a1000 fuel pump. the car just doesnt feel right, like it doesnt even feel like its as fast and my buddies bolt on car.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i were you,,, and new to the car like you are and want to be on the safe side of thing ? (Making her last should be priority #1).Ide perchase a new larger set of injectors GOOD ONES !and have a reputable tunner retune it for you !Ide even figuire out what type of boost youde like to be running at .With the stuff you said the engine has like the Pistons and ARP faseners ,Ide feel comfortable running at least 8 to 10PSI and i think you'll really feel this thing come to life once you do! Youll know its done right too instead of guessing about how the other guy had it set up to run on the stock LS6 injectors and wheather its made to run with the meth or not
I tunned my ride on 10psi on 93 oct and made 633 with no meth and am running a nice safe tune too with no need for meth. Put alittle more cash into her and call it a day with some injectors and a retune!You might even find out while retunning that it was ***** on ?or maybe youll find out that retunning and injectors was the best thing you could have done for your new baby LOL
Good luck and try to stay out of it till you figuire things out LOL Ide hate to see another post about how you hurt the engine.

Where are you located?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by barnat
If i were you,,, and new to the car like you are and want to be on the safe side of thing ? (Making her last should be priority #1).Ide perchase a new larger set of injectors GOOD ONES !and have a reputable tunner retune it for you !Ide even figuire out what type of boost youde like to be running at .With the stuff you said the engine has like the Pistons and ARP faseners ,Ide feel comfortable running at least 8 to 10PSI and i think you'll really feel this thing come to life once you do! Youll know its done right too instead of guessing about how the other guy had it set up to run on the stock LS6 injectors and wheather its made to run with the meth or not
I tunned my ride on 10psi on 93 oct and made 633 with no meth and am running a nice safe tune too with no need for meth. Put alittle more cash into her and call it a day with some injectors and a retune!You might even find out while retunning that it was ***** on ?or maybe youll find out that retunning and injectors was the best thing you could have done for your new baby LOL
Good luck and try to stay out of it till you figuire things out LOL Ide hate to see another post about how you hurt the engine.

Where are you located?
what do you drive? and whats your mods.. and man you hit the nail right on the head. im drivin it normal and not gettin in it until i order new injectors soon and get it retuned. but ill prolly put it on 10 pounds for now and get a safe tune like you said. i imagine i should make 600 or more at the wheels on 10. and im located in jacksonville tx

Last edited by kaotic_ws6; 06-27-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: and what pound injectors do you have because thats what ill prolly need
Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check everything. First do a compression test and see how much you have. Next I would try to get my hands on a bore scope to try to look at the top of that piston in order to try to confirm that it is forged. Once that's all checked out, I'd grab a set of 60# injectors and have it tuned. At that point, you'll know where you stand.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I would check everything. First do a compression test and see how much you have. Next I would try to get my hands on a bore scope to try to look at the top of that piston in order to try to confirm that it is forged. Once that's all checked out, I'd grab a set of 60# injectors and have it tuned. At that point, you'll know where you stand.
ok, i have a compression gauge in the garage, how do i do that? and you dont think 42# injectors would be enough?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Perhaps take the car to a tuner ?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this auto or stick. If stick maybe clutch is gone or not up to the power.If 4l60 tranny could be pooched as well. Then as said you need to be 100% sure you have forged pistons. Local guy took out his sts stock piston,rod ,crank ls1 at like 6psi recently Number 4 said bye bye ringland.He thought he had a nice safe tune.

Once you are sure you have forged pistons pull an injector and find out what they are. Put in minimum 42 or 60 pounders. And of course you will need it tuned for them.
Make sure the tune is also richer of course like 11.5 to 1 or so and make sure you keep timing reasonable especially if you don't know compression ratio. Get a scanner so you can monitor knock all the time , at least until you are 100% sure the tune is good. Not sure on that pump sounds like big external .Might want to go internal instead. Or duals if you are going to really take the boost up there which you could do if you do have forged pistons.
The cam is not considered very boost friendly but not a huge issue. You can swap it out at some point and you may want to sell the headers and go back to stock exhaust. Most sts guys say the stock exhaust work better.

Car should start feeling fast as you bring up boost , Also depends what turbo you have in there , sts has various options and if you have any boost leaks.
Timing also makes a big difference to power and if timing is too low car will lose power and and get doggy. But too much and its not good although if there are forged diamonds in there much more forgiving.
Get the alc working and it will give you extra protection and let you run a bit more timing and boost safely. Also will keep your engine cleaner. Don't have to run meth can run 50/50 instead of 100% meth fact nozzle size will depend on what it was set up for .

Sts cars I was in so far an sts lt1 and sts ls1 both moved out decent and were near stock. Lt1 was auto and ls1 was six speed. The lt1 auto blew up but was on stock pistons, it had 42 pound injectors but stock fuel pump. Guy accidentally screwed up with his japanese boost controller and fed it big boost..for a few minutes.! LOL Ringlands didn't like that.

Enjoy your new toy. Have some patience and you will get it kicking some ***!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Is this auto or stick. If stick maybe clutch is gone or not up to the power.If 4l60 tranny could be pooched as well. Then as said you need to be 100% sure you have forged pistons. Local guy took out his sts stock piston,rod ,crank ls1 at like 6psi recently Number 4 said bye bye ringland.He thought he had a nice safe tune.

Once you are sure you have forged pistons pull an injector and find out what they are. Put in minimum 42 or 60 pounders. And of course you will need it tuned for them.
Make sure the tune is also richer of course like 11.5 to 1 or so and make sure you keep timing reasonable especially if you don't know compression ratio. Get a scanner so you can monitor knock all the time , at least until you are 100% sure the tune is good. Not sure on that pump sounds like big external .Might want to go internal instead. Or duals if you are going to really take the boost up there which you could do if you do have forged pistons.
The cam is not considered very boost friendly but not a huge issue. You can swap it out at some point and you may want to sell the headers and go back to stock exhaust. Most sts guys say the stock exhaust work better.

Car should start feeling fast as you bring up boost , Also depends what turbo you have in there , sts has various options and if you have any boost leaks.
Timing also makes a big difference to power and if timing is too low car will lose power and and get doggy. But too much and its not good although if there are forged diamonds in there much more forgiving.
Get the alc working and it will give you extra protection and let you run a bit more timing and boost safely. Also will keep your engine cleaner. Don't have to run meth can run 50/50 instead of 100% meth fact nozzle size will depend on what it was set up for .

Sts cars I was in so far an sts lt1 and sts ls1 both moved out decent and were near stock. Lt1 was auto and ls1 was six speed. The lt1 auto blew up but was on stock pistons, it had 42 pound injectors but stock fuel pump. Guy accidentally screwed up with his japanese boost controller and fed it big boost..for a few minutes.! LOL Ringlands didn't like that.

Enjoy your new toy. Have some patience and you will get it kicking some ***!
yea im going to check the compression soon, and how do you check the pistons again? and yea its a m6 and the clutch is really soft but it doesnt feel like its slipping. and the turbo has a 60 on it so i guess its the 60 trim. im not going to use the meth kit because i think with the a1000 fuel pump and the new 60# injectors im going to get that ought to be enough fuel. im gonna take it to get a really good tune after i get the new injectors and IF i really am forged i want to tune it to around 600rwhp and call it good for a while to make sure the car is gonna be fine with that lol.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kaotic_ws6
yea im going to check the compression soon, and how do you check the pistons again? and yea its a m6 and the clutch is really soft but it doesnt feel like its slipping. and the turbo has a 60 on it so i guess its the 60 trim. im not going to use the meth kit because i think with the a1000 fuel pump and the new 60# injectors im going to get that ought to be enough fuel. im gonna take it to get a really good tune after i get the new injectors and IF i really am forged i want to tune it to around 600rwhp and call it good for a while to make sure the car is gonna be fine with that lol.
I think borescope can check the pistons.
Is this stock clutch..? if so not a chance it will hold even 400rwhp for very long. It will be slipping guaranteed. So put a clutch on your to buy list if its stock.
The reason you run alc/meth injection is not because you don't have sufficient fuel system. I have dual walbros, 80 pound injectors, big feed and return lines, adjustable boost referenced reg and fast rails and my system is good for 1000rwhp but still have alc injection. For the safety, keeps engines super clean and these rich afr turbo engines can use that.And to run more timing or more boost on pump. I will be running 50%/50 not 100% meth.

Also want to stress getting in car scanner. Don't care who tunes these things very important to be able to watch things like knock even on forged engine.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

I think borescope can check the pistons.
Is this stock clutch..? if so not a chance it will hold even 400rwhp for very long. It will be slipping guaranteed. So put a clutch on your to buy list if its stock.
The reason you run alc/meth injection is not because you don't have sufficient fuel system. I have dual walbros, 80 pound injectors, big feed and return lines, adjustable boost referenced reg and fast rails and my system is good for 1000rwhp but still have alc injection. For the safety, keeps engines super clean and these rich afr turbo engines can use that.And to run more timing or more boost on pump. I will be running 50%/50 not 100% meth.

Also want to stress getting in car scanner. Don't care who tunes these things very important to be able to watch things like knock even on forged engine.
he said it was a stage 5 clutch. like i said its soft and may need to be replaced im not sure but it does not feel like slipping at all.. BUT im not an expert. and ok thanks for informing me about the fuel stuff. im new to the boost game. my other car was all motor lol and what do you mean buy a scanner exactly
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

he said it was a stage 5 clutch. like i said its soft and may need to be replaced im not sure but it does not feel like slipping at all.. BUT im not an expert. and ok thanks for informing me about the fuel stuff. im new to the boost game. my other car was all motor lol and what do you mean buy a scanner exactly
Well a good aftermarket clutch should be fine.
Scanner are things like my interceptor guages. Or ls1 scanmaster or other in car scanner devices. Its not too practical to run a laptop all the time nor is it even legal too in most places.

Just google up aeroforce interceptor or ls1 scanmaster.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Scanner are things like my interceptor guages. Or ls1 scanmaster or other in car scanner devices. Its not too practical to run a laptop all the time nor is it even legal too in most places.

im glad im getting some good info because ive got a great setup and i got a steal of a deal on the car and i just want to play it safe! thats why im not gettin on it or anything until i get it tuned. i appreciate it
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

holy crap the aeroforce is awesome. only thing i have a question about is will it double as a boost gauge? or a wideband.. if so ill buy it
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Wideband yes. Boost gauge pretty sure.
I have three aeroforce interceptors in my car. I can set them to various things like knock and you can set a warning level. they can also be used as shiftlight. They can run like 1/4 mile times. I have added more sensors to my aeroforce so have fuel pressure,wideband, nitrous pressure. Could add think egt, oil temp,etc. Each interceptor can add two more sensors. so my three could replace 9 guages.And they clear codes, fit in standard pillar pod. You can very closely match color to the cars lighting.Etc. I love ,love them.
I also run eboost2 which is my boost guage and controller. But pretty sure the aeroforce can be boost guage but not boost controller.

Prior to that was using ls1 scanmaster still have it and sometimes use it to scan buddies cars for them.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Wideband yes. Boost gauge pretty sure.
I have three aeroforce interceptors in my car. I can set them to various things like knock and you can set a warning level. they can also be used as shiftlight. They can run like 1/4 mile times. I have added more sensors to my aeroforce so have fuel pressure,wideband, nitrous pressure. Could add think egt, oil temp,etc. Each interceptor can add two more sensors. so my three could replace 9 guages.And they clear codes, fit in standard pillar pod. You can very closely match color to the cars lighting.Etc. I love ,love them.
I also run eboost2 which is my boost guage and controller. But pretty sure the aeroforce can be boost guage but not boost controller.

Prior to that was using ls1 scanmaster still have it and sometimes use it to scan buddies cars for them.
crap so it wont measure anything without the sensors or what
Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

crap so it wont measure anything without the sensors or what
They will give you knock which is critical especially when tuning.
You have to add wideband and boost but assume you have a boost guage already? Or you might get one in an electronic boost controller like eboost2, aem. If youi cant' see knock it can be bad but again with forged pistons you have a lot more margin for error.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

They will give you knock which is critical especially when tuning.
You have to add wideband and boost but assume you have a boost guage already? Or you might get one in an electronic boost controller like eboost2, aem. If youi cant' see knock it can be bad but again with forged pistons you have a lot more margin for error.
ok but is it worth it for all the other stuff it offers? cuz the wideband hook up is 189 for that gauge and you can buy a wide for a tad more than that, and for the boost hookup is close to what a boost gauge costs, i already have a fuel gauge and a boost gauge i was just going to buy a wideband gauge and call it good. so what do you think i should do? just need the best advice

Quick Reply: need some help..