Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hot side tubing/bends

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Hot side tubing/bends

Several guys here have built multiple hot sides in varying locations on different chassis'. What general tubing/bends do I need to at least come close to having enough to finish the hot side? I know nobody knows exactly. But I'd like to avoid extra shipping cost on some of the unique pieces. Straight pipe is readily available locally. Its the bends that I'm most interested in. I have flipped forward truck manifolds with V-bands welded on. The turbo will be mounted in front of the engine on the right side above the frame rail. T6 split flange. I think a pair of the U-J bends with some straight pipe would get me there. Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Only built 2 but I would say 180° bend per side is going to be cutting it close , I would like to have a bit more on hand if it's not readily available - shipped in. Don't forget you will need some for waste gate plumbing - in your case 2.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Wanted to add that I rarely fab anything up without mocking it up a few times - creates a bit of waste LOL. Of course I save all the mistakes for the next project
Old 10-18-2021, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Count em! I always go 180s and 90s. You can make any small angle out of those if needed. Be smart and use your cutoffs too.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3 window:
JinglingBaby (10-20-2021), LS480 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I've had good luck with these kits and they are cheaper than buying all the bends separate. I keep 2.5 and 3" on the shelf:
Amazon.com: BLACKHORSE-RACING Stainless Steel T304 Universal 8PCS 2.5" DIY Custom Mandrel Exhaust Pipe Straight and U-Bend Kit : Automotive Amazon.com: BLACKHORSE-RACING Stainless Steel T304 Universal 8PCS 2.5" DIY Custom Mandrel Exhaust Pipe Straight and U-Bend Kit : Automotive
Old 10-19-2021, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

^^^^^^^
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow that’s a awesome price for 3” SS pipe! I will have to keep them in mind.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. The picture really helps to visualize the layout. I have plenty of fabrication experience, just not hot sides.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 707 Likes on 367 Posts

Without actually seeing the routing, 3 - 90 degree bends and 2 - 45 bends, at the very least.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Couple mild steal u/j bends should work fine I'd think. Or a set of bends like pictured above in mild steel can be had super cheap. SS can be a bastard to cut/shape weld. Mild steel is half the price (if that) and ive never managed to crack or have an issue with it. Not saying its better... just that it's easy and I've never had an issue. Smaller piping is easier to package too IMO. 2.25" to each side for the T6 flange should be more than enough.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:12 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Couple mild steal u/j bends should work fine I'd think. Or a set of bends like pictured above in mild steel can be had super cheap. SS can be a bastard to cut/shape weld. Mild steel is half the price (if that) and ive never managed to crack or have an issue with it. Not saying its better... just that it's easy and I've never had an issue. Smaller piping is easier to package too IMO. 2.25" to each side for the T6 flange should be more than enough.
Portaband FTW, SS cuts like butter. I used to run 2.5" now I run 3" from each header to my T6 flange, some now run 3.5" to T7 flanges. Don't see any difference in spool but seems to make more up top.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Portaband FTW, SS cuts like butter. I used to run 2.5" now I run 3" from each header to my T6 flange, some now run 3.5" to T7 flanges. Don't see any difference in spool but seems to make more up top.
Its odd you say that as I've heard and experienced the opposite. Heard others big names say the same as you though. That larger piping net more power up top. Others state they are able to run smaller piping and a larger housing/turbo with the smaller piping netting less over all back pressure and better response. Which is what I experienced.

I think it will depend alot on the engine used and its na power output. Mild motors would benefit much less from the larger piping. Makes sense with what I've done anyway. Not saying its "right". The diff between 2.5" to 2" was pretty night/day on my mild 5.3. went from not being able to spool the T4 S475 turbo at all, to spooling it very easily. (had way too tight of a converter and lazy compression). Then stepping up to a T6 S480... and spooling that very quickly as well. Not that a proper 2.5"/3" setup can't do the same. But with my particular setup/tune it couldn't and the only change was a 2" hotside.

And even if there were no benefits or draw backs to either power/spool wise. Smaller piping is much easier to package, is cheaper, and is thicker wall to boot usually. Not to mention a 2.5 or 3" pipe doesn't neck down to a typical T6 divided flange inlet well. Easier to double wrap etc. Wouldn't' suggest it for 4 sec drag cars but for street strip burnout machines its more than enough for 1000ish crank hp in my experience.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:06 PM
8 Second Club

Its odd you say that as I've heard and experienced the opposite. Heard others big names say the same as you though. That larger piping net more power up top. Others state they are able to run smaller piping and a larger housing/turbo with the smaller piping netting less over all back pressure and better response. Which is what I experienced.

I think it will depend alot on the engine used and its na power output. Mild motors would benefit much less from the larger piping. Makes sense with what I've done anyway. Not saying its "right". The diff between 2.5" to 2" was pretty night/day on my mild 5.3. went from not being able to spool the T4 S475 turbo at all, to spooling it very easily. (had way too tight of a converter and lazy compression). Then stepping up to a T6 S480... and spooling that very quickly as well. Not that a proper 2.5"/3" setup can't do the same. But with my particular setup/tune it couldn't and the only change was a 2" hotside.

And even if there were no benefits or draw backs to either power/spool wise. Smaller piping is much easier to package, is cheaper, and is thicker wall to boot usually. Not to mention a 2.5 or 3" pipe doesn't neck down to a typical T6 divided flange inlet well. Easier to double wrap etc. Wouldn't' suggest it for 4 sec drag cars but for street strip burnout machines its more than enough for 1000ish crank hp in my experience.
I agree on backpressure, most everyone I deal with now has a 102 or 112mm turbine because they realized backpressure sucks. The amount of power the larger turbines make even on low boost is impressive, went from needing 25+ psi to crack 1000 to often doing it under 18PSI.

I've don't usually have a problem spooling turbos, I had 3" off the manifolds with twins so I knew dual 3" into a twin scroll T6 would only be faster. Pretty sure the SBE 5.3 record guys also run dual 3" to a GTX55 which has been proven to work well, granted they are running 40PSI at 8000+ RPM so the increased airflow helps.

2.5 vs 3" is about a $3 difference in material for me so not much saved there. The headers have 3" vbands so I dont need reducers to need to neck it down, and I run a flange like this which makes it easy on the turbo side:
Old 10-21-2021, 01:17 PM
8 Second Club

I agree on backpressure, most everyone I deal with now has a 102 or 112mm turbine because they realized backpressure sucks. The amount of power the larger turbines make even on low boost is impressive, went from needing 25+ psi to crack 1000 to often doing it under 18PSI.

I've don't usually have a problem spooling turbos, I had 3" off the manifolds with twins so I knew dual 3" into a twin scroll T6 would only be faster. Pretty sure the SBE 5.3 record guys also run dual 3" to a GTX55 which has been proven to work well, granted they are running 40PSI at 8000+ RPM so the increased airflow helps.

2.5 vs 3" is about a $3 difference in material for me so not much saved there. The headers have 3" vbands so I dont need reducers to need to neck it down, and I run a flange like this which makes it easy on the turbo side:
The 8000+ RPM and retardo boost def play a big roll in exh speeds and turbulence. If we cut that down to the 6-7k range and 20lbs and under many mild setups run, I think its much less of a factor! Not sure what the OP's goal is. but sub 900 crank at 7k and below I just can't see needing more than factory manifolds and 2" piping. 2.25" max. Big power/RPM setups are a little out of my wheel house unfortunately. But I'm trying to get quicker!

Also if the scroll exit is approx 1.6" on a 1.32 T6. I just can't see needing 3" piping feeding each side of that. If the bottle neck in the system and wheel restriction dictates the drive pressure... whats the benefit of having big 3" pipes before that? Stepping up and down exh speed all over the system seems odd. I'm not doubting it works, or that people see results at huge power/rpm/boost. I just don't understand it fully.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM
8 Second Club

The 8000+ RPM and retardo boost def play a big roll in exh speeds and turbulence. If we cut that down to the 6-7k range and 20lbs and under many mild setups run, I think its much less of a factor! Not sure what the OP's goal is. but sub 900 crank at 7k and below I just can't see needing more than factory manifolds and 2" piping. 2.25" max. Big power/RPM setups are a little out of my wheel house unfortunately. But I'm trying to get quicker!

Also if the scroll exit is approx 1.6" on a 1.32 T6. I just can't see needing 3" piping feeding each side of that. If the bottle neck in the system and wheel restriction dictates the drive pressure... whats the benefit of having big 3" pipes before that? Stepping up and down exh speed all over the system seems odd. I'm not doubting it works, or that people see results at huge power/rpm/boost. I just don't understand it fully.
I agree for a simple street setup stock manifolds and small piping will absolutely work just fine. When you get into setups that care about weight stock manifolds are an easy place to lose weight, plus like on an NA engine longer tube manifolds show gains compared to stock manifolds. A lot of the big power setups have short runs off the collector, often less than a foot of pipe on each side to the turbine with a center mounted turbo, compared to some often convoluted stock engine bay type stuff.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

It's a street/strip sleeper. 5.3, 78/75 (for now, hence the T6 flange with T6-T4 adapter), 4l80E in a heavy weight car. Goal will slowly increase, I'm a realist! Starting off at whatever whp the billet 78/75 will make maxed out on E85 and then go from there. I need to get a handle on the tuning end of things before the next step. Plan is 2.25 pipe and stock manifolds. I don't see this car ever over 800 whp. Not going to cage it and I have kids.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:03 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
It's a street/strip sleeper. 5.3, 78/75 (for now, hence the T6 flange with T6-T4 adapter), 4l80E in a heavy weight car. Goal will slowly increase, I'm a realist! Starting off at whatever whp the billet 78/75 will make maxed out on E85 and then go from there. I need to get a handle on the tuning end of things before the next step. Plan is 2.25 pipe and stock manifolds. I don't see this car ever over 800 whp. Not going to cage it and I have kids.
Might be surprised, even the billet 7875 will make 800 if you lean on it, especially if you have the larger 1.25 turbine housing.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Might be surprised, even the billet 7875 will make 800 if you lean on it, especially if you have the larger 1.25 turbine housing.
Well you would be one of the guys who knows right?
Wouldn't it need 24+# probably to make that?
Old 10-23-2021, 04:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Several guys here have built multiple hot sides in varying locations on different chassis'. What general tubing/bends do I need to at least come close to having enough to finish the hot side? I know nobody knows exactly. But I'd like to avoid extra shipping cost on some of the unique pieces. Straight pipe is readily available locally. Its the bends that I'm most interested in. I have flipped forward truck manifolds with V-bands welded on. The turbo will be mounted in front of the engine on the right side above the frame rail. T6 split flange. I think a pair of the U-J bends with some straight pipe would get me there. Thoughts?
Some of the really shitty discount muffler shops still have equipment that can make good tubing bends. Get to know some of them, and make your problems roll away.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I usually try and visualize the pipe route, get some J or U bends, some straight. I can get diff bends by cutting at angles. Walker has a short 90 deg. (41221) that makes life easier in some cases, but in the end I have a pile of tubing for the next project, lol. Try and get the thicker tubing, not the thin wall parts store stuff.

Quick Reply: Hot side tubing/bends